News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

keith black pistons

Started by 01MOPAR, October 23, 2006, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

what do you think about the kb 237 piston? also whats the the cc on stock  906 heads?

jg68

Quote from: 01MOPAR on October 23, 2006, 08:42:54 AM
what do you think about the kb 237 piston? also whats the the cc on stock  906 heads?

Stock 906s are right around 90cc, for the money, just get some TRW 2355s 6 pack pistons, there about the same price as a KB, you'll have around 9.7 comp, i ran the 237s once, but the machine shop set the clearances too loose & the engine made noise :flame:, i'm going with the 2355s on my next build or right to a ross for 530.00.

Chryco Psycho

I will not use KB pistons & agree with the above post ,spend a few more $$ & USE THE sPEED pRO FORGED PISTON INSTEAD 

is_it_EVER_done?

KB pistons are by far the best cast pistons available (my opinion). They are a high silicone content piston and will even hold up to reasonable nitrous levels. The silicone content makes them far more resilient that other cast pistons (closer to forged), but you have to follow the manufacturers clearances religiously. The problem is that most people don't follow the clearance requirements, as the are not in line with other pistons, and not what people are used to, so people "fudge" on the machining.

If you install them as recommended (piston to wall clearance, and ring gaps), you will never have a problem even in heavy competition use, plus they are lighter than most of the other choices, and even if they are heavier than another cast piston, the high silicone content makes them stronger even with the additional weight.

With all that said, for only about $200.00 more you can go to a forged piston, which will be the strongest choice possible, but if you are building for a situation that does not require them, it would be money wasted, and sacrificed durability.  I'm using them in my new engine for my Road Runner convertable - pure street car with high millage use. I am fortunate enough to not be constrained by cost, but am using them because they are the best choice.

firefighter3931

Not a fan of KB pistons either. Overall not a bad product but they are prone to breaking if the engine goes into detonation. You have to be careful when using them. A forged piston is a LOT more forgiving.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

i c e b l u e

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on October 24, 2006, 05:15:40 PM
KB pistons are by far the best cast pistons available (my opinion). They are a high silicone content piston and will even hold up to reasonable nitrous levels. The silicone content makes them far more resilient that other cast pistons (closer to forged), but you have to follow the manufacturers clearances religiously. The problem is that most people don't follow the clearance requirements, as the are not in line with other pistons, and not what people are used to, so people "fudge" on the machining.

If you install them as recommended (piston to wall clearance, and ring gaps), you will never have a problem even in heavy competition use, plus they are lighter than most of the other choices, and even if they are heavier than another cast piston, the high silicone content makes them stronger even with the additional weight.

With all that said, for only about $200.00 more you can go to a forged piston, which will be the strongest choice possible, but if you are building for a situation that does not require them, it would be money wasted, and sacrificed durability.  I'm using them in my new engine for my Road Runner convertable - pure street car with high millage use. I am fortunate enough to not be constrained by cost, but am using them because they are the best choice.
:iagree:
Many people give kb or hypereutectic pistons a bad rap. I agree a forged piston is by far the best choice for most situations. Forged pistons will be lighter, stronger, and less catastrophic if they fail. However, they cost more about 100% more than cast. Also the high silicone content has other benefits of tighter piston to wall clearance, better transfer efficiency. I also like the kb step head design, which encourages more mixture motion and a better flame front on an open chamber head like your 906's. But it again depends on the purpose of the engine. just my  :Twocents: