News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kelsey Hayes Recall Wheels

Started by 69_500, October 27, 2006, 09:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: ph23vo on August 30, 2010, 12:59:03 PM
finally running!

:coolgleamA:  anymore info ?? others found documented with the recall wheels , doubt there are any otheres left , if they were :shruggy: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ph23vo

yep 330 HP... though it has a lumpy cam and stuff so maybe 350hp!  ooohhhhh... just got back from its first show and with no street miles i wasnt gonna drive it 100 miles+..

ph23vo

no other KNOWN W23 full size cars at this time...surely there are some out there...also if anyone has recall wheels for sale  lmk  dan  253 852 6618

nascarxx29

I have had only one recall wheel.But will look out for them .Awhile back I did score 30 nos recall wheel lugnuts sold quickly .That went to W23 69 RT.Dont run across to often W23 acessories.I remember you had found a NOS center cap.Congrats of your Recall wheel car and your 6 pack Furys.Ive only seen 2 of them in all my years in the hobby
NOS recall lug nuts

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

ph23vo

XX.. i dont have any lug nuts... i have seen em around from time to time but i just use locking lugs where every nut is a lock..... i have 2 NOS center caps now recently found another one.... some day i,ll get a 6BBL fury in progress.. the economy has my pay down 50% so its tough...  thanks  dan

Brock Samson

Twice in the last 25 Years I have seen a gold/bronze T-3 dart with the K.H. wheels about 20 miles south of San Francisco. looks like a bone stock car.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Ghoste on October 27, 2006, 03:52:41 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say no.  I can't see them still being supplied to the line or even using stock on hand once a recall notice came down.

This is correct.

When a recall is issued it is a violation of Federal Law to continue to use that part.  So a Production Line Notice would have been sent to the wheel center and all the stock of KH wheels would have been removed, counted,  and sealed away.  Most likely they would have been counted and repackaged for return to the vendor - who often has a "make good" financial responsibility in the event of a part defect/safety recall.

At the dealerships - the parts must be returned to Chrysler and similarly they must be accounted for.

As a result, the only inventory that should still exist in the public domain is from those customers who did not return their vehicles for the recall, and any dealer who did not return parts inventory.

By the way, it is a violation of Federal Law to knowingly sell a vehicle with a recalled part or to sell that part as a stand alone item.  Thus, you should sell such vehicle with NON-recall wheels, and include the KH wheels as a "freebie" with a written disclosure (i.e. the buyer signs a paper) that essentially states....  "the following items (description follows) are provided at no charge to the undersigned.   The undersigned acknowledges the items provided are for display purposes only and are not for highway use on a motor vehicle."

pettybird

I don't think the NHTSA got involved with the KH wheels.  You're not wrong about what you're saying, but I don't think it applies here?  Am I wrong?

The letter to the plant went out on 9/13/68 to stop putting them on cars.  I'm not sure when it went to dealers.

ph23vo

i,m sure the INPLANT stoppage was at the end of august..official notice was mid september to dealers etc  dan

rainbow4jd

Pretty much standard recall language.   In fact, its almost identical to what I would expect to see today.

Never forget these wheels were recalled for a safety concern.    I would use them for display wheels only, not for driving. 

Also, IF you should ever sell a vehicle with these wheels and the subsequent owner be injured as a result of their failure, you probably are looking at a MAJOR lawsuit against you for selling a wheel with a known safety defect  (and while you will no doubt argue that you "didn't know", it will cost you an arm and a leg to defend yourself) - so always get an acknowledgement from the buyer that YOU have advised them that these wheels are for "display purposes only and not for street use".

In today's society its this kind of ambulance chasing BS that ruins things for hobbyists.

ph23vo

i,ve driven on my 5 sets for the last 25 yrs or so...sure anything COULD happen with any wheel on any car made by any manufacturer anytime but i can say mine are fine as i,m sure everyone else ,s who has original recall wheels is,... there,s probably only about 50 sets left in the usa   maybe less.. my car is a real W23 car so its gonna have em on forever   dan

moparstuart

I think the biggest problem with them was they all needed to be retorqed after being driven on and the lug nuts got loose .  No one retorqed them like alloys need,  and the centers broke out of them .   Kelsey hayes sold the aftermarket sets with no problems .   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

My one and only W23 recall wheel I had found.Was missing center cap also.It looks like it experienced the lug nuts getting loose and someone still drove on it .Enlarging the one of the 5 mounting hole

BigBlockSam

yo guys , not a big fan of these wheels . i've seen nice cars and these wheels kill them, sorry :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 08, 2010, 08:46:38 PM
yo guys , not a big fan of these wheels . i've seen nice cars and these wheels kill them, sorry :D
sorry but recalls are the best looking wheels chrysler ever put on a car   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  

i took this picture today at a car show with wayne

FJ5WING

Thats an amazing pic for sure, but I disagree on the wheels Stuart. I feel the Magnum 500's are the best. Ill go with the Ford 15"ers though.
wingless now, but still around.

xs29j8Bullitt

:o  Rene!... Say what?!?!...  :'(   :icon_smile_big:  :smilielol:

In Stock!... IMHO they will look great on my B5 Charger 500 & A4 Road Runner...   :shruggy:

W23s will be on those two cars... might even on a B7 Mopar that I have... I believe they will sharpen up the otherwise monotone cars, and the blue/silver and silver/silver pairings will work!   :nana:  :icon_smile_wink:

There are some of my cars that I probably would not use them on... like my R4 Daytona, even though they did look pretty good on Dave Jones' Daytona.

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

BigBlockSam

Quotesorry but recalls are the best looking wheels chrysler ever put on a car   drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5 drool5  i took this picture today at a car show with wayne

that picture is proving my point .i'd  rather have color matched steelies  :slap:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on October 09, 2010, 09:11:39 PM

:o  Rene!... Say what?!?!...  :'(   :icon_smile_big:  :smilielol:

In Stock!... IMHO they will look great on my B5 Charger 500 & A4 Road Runner...   :shruggy:

W23s will be on those two cars... might even on a B7 Mopar that I have... I believe they will sharpen up the otherwise monotone cars, and the blue/silver and silver/silver pairings will work!   :nana:  :icon_smile_wink:

There are some of my cars that I probably would not use them on... like my R4 Daytona, even though they did look pretty good on Dave Jones' Daytona.

Mine are in stock too. :2thumbs:

To me, they look just right on a Daytona or Charger 500. :yesnod:

They've really got that 60's "vibe". :coolgleamA:

mauve66

if you take the trim ring off how do they look???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger-Bodie

I also love them on the right color. I will have a set with redlines eventually. Then I can switch between the magnums with polyglass gt's, the steelies with repop dog dishes and relines and then the recalles with redlines.....All bias tires too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BigBlockSam

i dream of getting  15X8  chrome magnum 500's with 245 redline tires on all four corners of my 68 triple black charger r/t . that would look hot . plus it came from the factory with redline tires .  :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

:popcrn: