News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plasma Cutter

Started by 440AirForce, October 22, 2006, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440AirForce

I'm thinking of saving labor costs and renting a plasma cutter to cut and replace both L/R and trunk floor pans.  Has anyone recently learned to use one?  What model should I get?

ODB :icon_smile_question:
Whether or not I'm good at English is inimportant!

daytonalo

I bought a hypertherm 190 , it has a built in compressor and it is 110 volt , I paid 900 two years ago . After the first cut I relized I finally emerged from the stone age !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

440AirForce

Easy to use? I dont want to burn down my garage

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 440AirForce on October 23, 2006, 09:52:47 PM
Easy to use? I dont want to burn down my garage

You should take all precautions when using it just like you would a welder. Clean surroundings and no clutter will help in avoiding a spark catching something on fire. Especiialy if it sits there smoldering for 30 minutes after you are done and go in the house.

Todd

dkn1997

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 23, 2006, 11:15:57 PM

You should take all precautions when using it just like you would a welder. Clean surroundings and no clutter will help in avoiding a spark catching something on fire. Especiialy if it sits there smoldering for 30 minutes after you are done and go in the house.

Todd

Dare I ask how you know this?  I smell a story there somewhere :flame:
RECHRGED

Todd Wilson

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 25, 2006, 09:17:43 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 23, 2006, 11:15:57 PM

Todd

Dare I ask how you know this?  I smell a story there somewhere :flame:

No fires here. Just part of what I remember at welding class. Lots of people forget about clutter or boards laid up against the side of the wall in the garage with some cardboard boxs. You weld for 20 mins on something. Wife calls you in for supper and half way thru your grub you got a fire in the garage from a spark that was sitting on something for a while before a flame was around. I heard you should be around for 30 minutes after all welding/sparks have stopped just in case.

Todd

440AirForce

That advise was priceless!  I can picture myself doing that exact thing! Great advice!

daytonalo

It has never happened to me , although I sold a 68 GTO conv a year ago and a week after I sold the car the guy was mig welding a lawnmower in his garage and then went in the house , came out an hour later and the garage was completely engulfed in flames . It was caused by a spark that flew into an oil spot , caught fire and caused the car above the oil spot to go up in flames and rest is history . I learned from this , I keep the welding or cutting area clean and always hang out for a half hour after welding ,as mentioned earlier. By the way the house went up also along with three cars !
                                                                                         Larry

Silver R/T

one of the best tools Ive used
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

is_it_EVER_done?

A sub question to the subject: Wouldn't a cut off wheel be better for things like this? I have never used a plasma cutter, but I have seen them used and I cant understand why one is better than a torch for cutting since hand steadiness is still necessary, and they appear to introduce as much heat as a torch.

I have always used a wheel for things like this as you can cut as straight as an arrow, and not transfer much heat to the surrounding material, so what is the benefit of a plasma cutter in automotive work? Hopfully one of you guys with experience can explain.

daytonalo

Let me try to explain, a cut off wheel is used on a non stop basis in my shop , and a plasma cutter will cut metal in any shape without distortion and the cut is a little thicker than a razor blade . go to a friends shop and use one and you will see that with  a plasma cutter is like coming out of the stone age .