News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Durango oil fill/cap question

Started by bull, February 12, 2007, 09:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Not a Charger question but hopefully someone here will recognize the problem from some other modern Mopar. The oil fill cap on my 4.7 engine has been getting water in it somehow. The first time I took the oil cap off I saw a wide yellow streak (oil/water) running from the top down toward the bottom where the trail got narrow, so I know it's originating at the top. The first time there was a lot of yellow junk in the fill cap area and since I've cleaned it out it's gotten to be less and less of a mess the two other times I've looked and cleaned it.

Anyway, I took a close look at my oil cap and noticed a very small hole in the bottom end cap (as seen below). When I shook it a few times I saw a small amount of water leak out of it so the Tim the Tool Man Taylor in me decided to take the air gun and start blowing air into the cap trying to get it all out. Suddenly POP! the bottom of the oil cap came off. Too much air pressure in there and the end popped off. So now I'm wondering if I even need to glue it back on? Do I need the bottom of the oil cap for anything? Wouldn't having no bottom keep moisture from being trapped inside only to leak out into my oil fill tube? And how is moisture getting in through the top of the cap when ther rubber seal is in place?

bull

I had to ask my buddies here first, but I managed to find this: http://y2kota.us/oft.html

ipstrategies

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

OttawaCharger

The 4.7's have a nasty habit of doing that.  My 2000 Dak does the same thing.  There was a recall that put a baffle in the filler neck to cut down on the visible gunk but it doesn't fix the problem, it only hides it.   The problem appears to be from the difference in temperature between the engine and the top of the filler neck causing condensation to collect in the top of the neck.  You'll see the problem worsen if you start taking short trips around town when it's really cold out.  :rotz:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

bee_fishy_6869

Not just in colder areas but anywhere there will be a temp/humidity differential from overnight to morning (moisture buildup) is what I find as well. When I'm doing an oil change in the morning it can be nasty sometimes on the Rams/Durrangos/'Kotas mostly in the summer when the humidity gets pretty wild down here (Houston,TX). At my old dealership a new service manager (who just moved from a chebby store) saw me pull up the baffle and shat a brick "THIS THING HAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET!" and started panicking, I tried to explain that its a common condition. I hate amature night...

BTW Bull, the cap part you blew off shouldnt cause a problem. Some models lack the solid shell all the way around and resemble how yours looks all the way around. Some also lack the baffle stick, never really noticed which models/engines in specific are equiped with either, just know what's out there.

bull

Thanks. I had a mild panic attack when I first saw it too until I figured out it was oozing from the top down. But I would have never figured out why it was doing it until I asked around. I see some guy on the dakota-durango site put an insulated blanket around his fill tube but it didn't stop it, only slowed it down like the baffles do. I guess other than looking like baby puke it doesn't hurt anything. :shruggy:

Seems like they should have put the PCV tube down farther or in a different location.