News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I OBTAINED NEW FRONT WHEELWELL TRIM FOR DAYTONA ?

Started by daytonalo, November 08, 2006, 05:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

Quote from: daytonalo on November 09, 2006, 12:42:05 AM
What I did was buy a new reproduction charger set , worked out the forward bent section . It spent three hours on it including sanding and polishing it . if you send me a new reproduction set I might consider it , although I will have to charge you .
Thanks Larry. When I get all my Daytona clone parts mocked up. I'll make my wheel well chrome trim fit. I just want to thank you for your input here. Damn, I hope this thread doesn't get locked.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

are you talking about my car ? why is this like beating a dead horse , I got the idea from from mike g on the straightening out of a stock charger!!!! Do you honestly think that the factory retooled for a new front trim in the few months they had . My valance was splashed from and orig one , why does it look wrong ?

daytonalo

its not rocket science , on the plum car they just filled in the valance , I would take me about 20 min to fill it in . why are you trying to reinvent the wheel ?

dads_69

I see your point, the marker light is in its stock forum vs. being on the valance. Either way it looks fine to me. I think someone here has forgotten that you and I and a few other guys online here are building clones and not the real deal. I don't have half a million bucks to spend on a real Daytona, therefore I'm building a clone and I'll be damn happy when its done as well as you will be with yours Larry. Hope that helps you out with this pissing match.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

That plum car is a not real , it was and is a 70 , a 69 daytona has the side marker in the valance as does mine!  I don't know why Dave posted a 70 marker light , I welded over the hole on my 70 fender , END OF STORY !!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CHARGER PUNK

this post is confusing is all hell i cant even understand whats going on :horse:

hemigeno

I've done some research on this topic before, as my Daytona is missing its original wheel lip mouldings.  I was able to take a look at several original mouldings, and examined them along with a good metal-working guy.  We both agreed at the time that the Daytona mouldings are mostly just a slightly modified '68-70 piece, although there are unique differences on the Daytona version.

As Larry has pointed out, you have to straighten the bend at the lower front corner of the wheel lip moulding to fit the contour of the Daytona fender when the valance is installed.  If you look at original Daytona mouldings, there are witness marks where it appears that the moulding was created with the bend, and then straightened using a stretching tool I have seen in sheet metal shops.  That tool leaves a series of lines on the metal that are perpendicular to the direction that the metal is being stretched.

We put a mic tool on a regular Charger moulding and a Daytona moulding in the area of the bend in question, and there is a marked difference in the thickness of the metal between the two styles.  To us, that confirmed our conclusion about the process they went through - especially with the tooling marks that are left at that point on the originals.

One point that will distinguish most original mouldings from modified mouldings is the fact that on the original mouldings, the lowest screw hole on the front leg (the same part of the moulding that was straightened) was not punched as are the remainder of the holes.  That screw was installed by Creative Industries by running a sheet metal screw through the moulding into the lower valance at a fairly random location (meaning they didn't use a template and the hole location will vary from car to car).

The conclusions that we came to are that:
>>  The original mouldings were probably initially fabbed with a bent leg that was later straightened
>>  The original mouldings were still unique though, since the hole on the lower front corner was not punched through

It would also be possible for someone to take a shortcut method and just use a pair of snips to cut the attachment leg of the moulding in the center of that bend, allowing the leg to be straightened.  Once the bend was straightened, that would leave a highly visible "V" in the moulding which IMHO wouldn't look so hot.  I have heard of people doing this method and then cutting a piece of stainless to fill in this notch.  Once the finished piece is polished up, I was told that it looks pretty good. 

Dickie Wolff has done two Daytonas where they just took regular mouldings and put the attachment leg on an english wheel at the bend to flatten out (and therefore stretch) the metal to eliminate the bend. 

There are several methods to accomplish what Larry has done.  It shouldn't be too much trouble to make a very nice moulding that would pass as an original for all but the most knowledgeable of people.

hemigeno

This is what I'm going to use on my car:

daytonalo

Thank you gene for bringing some sanity to this thread ! I have been involved with restoring cars and building boats for over 25 years and with that said I said to myself there was no way that they retooled for this front trim NO WAY !!!!!!!! I will never claim to know it all , but I do have common sense !!!!

nascarxx29

Thats typical to the way chrysler improvised on what they had.They didnt tool up and make unique fenders .For limited amounts of hemi cars.They just reworked the radius.And wingcars seems to use or modify something they already had.Example daytona 69 valiant parking lights.And Im certain they had a jig or template to to create the different wheel opening mouldings .As the daytonas ones were different.I dont regret my car languished in my mothers garage.I didnt have the luxury of having a home based resto shop space and or the time.My moms health and her household was 1 first priority.Now my girlfriend and our new home were working on is my main focus.I might miss the car .But I dont regret it and Im still in my prefered hobby.I know were I can pick up a 69 charger RT just sitting in a garage for many years.And got other small projects.In the works .I have a plaster statue of Joe higgins the safety sheriff.That I might see if we can get a mold of .And supply him with the paints and picture.See if that item of mopar memorabilia is in any demand.I still have other documents as I supplied the wingcar community in the past.Like some of these.I have enjoyed in the years and been privledged to have worked on notable magazine winged cars Paul Kaufmanns & John Antonellis to name a few.And that I have a customers and longtime friends daytona to bring home to service at my disposal .And that my aquired NOS parts have ended up on one of Steve J RTS prototype car.And other well known wingcars.And the only 70 FM 3 satelitte to superbird conv.That had all real parts and detail .That I was on the ground floor from from finding installing in the proper location the parts to the details of its construction   

http://wwnboa.org/factorydocs.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Well this topic took a whole 360 didn't it.

First of all Daytonalo the trim pieces you made up look good.

Gene, how long did you search for those NOS pieces? I don't recall seeing those when were there at your shop. Then again I didn't get that many pics of your Daytona either. I'll swing over some other time and do some more investigating.

nascarxx29

My 69 parts book shows for both wheel opening mouldings #3412646 for the right side And #3412647 for the left side.I have seen trim on some cars that had been v notched.Havent noticed tooling or stretching marks .But chrysler is known for there inconsistancy.I have seen original cars where the wing center .Had strong and weak casting lines .And the uprights had small pot holes.And different contours at the base where it meets the gasket.But the parts were done by outside vendors.Like Hackett brass foundry did wings outside on the sidewalk

http://wwnboa.com/motw.htm.

Brock Samson

you guys are all HACKS!
HACKS! HACKS! HACKS! HACKS !!!!!!

;D

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on November 09, 2006, 04:24:04 AM
this post is confusing is all hell i cant even understand whats going on :horse:

That's because some of these posts aren't even in English.

Brock Samson

"As a writer for hire, a hack writer is usually remunerated by the number of words: so the implication of hack writing is usually that quantity takes precedence over quality."

how much is Troy paying you?.

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 09, 2006, 10:26:09 PM
"As a writer for hire, a hack writer is usually remunerated by the number of words: so the implication of hack writing is usually that quantity takes precedence over quality."

I wonder if there's a bonus for the extra exclamation points.

Brock Samson

i don't think so,.  :shruggy: but, a space between your sentence and the following punctuation lands you the valuable spell check bonus points !!!!!!   :yesnod:

You guys were through with this thread right?..

hemigeno

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 09, 2006, 10:26:09 PM

Strat,
Several of us would like to know what Troy's payout on the first one to 5k posts is...     :nana:

Brock Samson

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Don't look now but Ghoste is already over 5,000 post.

So you should ask him what his pay out was.

Heck I can't believe that I'm already over 2,000. Thats insane. I don't think I had even 1,500 on the old site. Then again there wasn't an aero section over there.

nascarxx29

I noticed the 440 black daytona front wheel opening moulding is modified.Where the pictures were taken by TROY

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15942.0.html