News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

#22 69 daytona spotted

Started by nascarxx29, November 16, 2006, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Nope, I wasn't asking anyone to appologize. Just making a comment.

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion. I'll agree that its not the greatest clone I've ever seen. But I can also see that if the owner is proud of his work, and I'm assuming he did the work himself, then he shold be. He accomplished what he set out to do.

Troy

I'm sorry guys but, if I remember correctly, neither Larry or Mark actually has a drivable Daytona, Daytona clone, 500, 500 clone, or even a replica race car. Yeah, that car may not be perfect but he's standing next to his car at a show and I'm sure he's proud of it even with its flaws. When yours is finished then comparisons will be possible but, until then, degrading someone else's car (who could possibly be another member) is just plain rude and juvenile - and even after that it's not much better. There are very few (counted on one hand) cars out there that can hold up to any and all scrutiny so remember that when your car isn't "perfect" and people sneer at the tiniest detail.

That's the end of my "how to act civilized" lesson of the day. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

Im sorry troy , all I want to do is sit down . Now where is a park bench when needed ?

dads_69

My point is Troy. If your gonna have a clone built, try to at least built as close to factory specs as possible. In case the person ever decides to sell later, it will bring the most cash for them that way. Buying a clone already done, not even 80% close but a driver, is just not my cup of tea. OK, so heres where I say, sorry for being rude, but as stated, I wouldn't drive that clone in its condition.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Ghoste

Quote from: dads_69 on November 18, 2006, 02:00:16 PM
If your gonna have a clone built, try to at least built as close to factory specs as possible

Perhaps that's what he did?

Troy

But not everyone can afford to do it right - and not everyone who makes a clone cares if it's perfect (or even close). The whole purpose of building a clone is to get the look and feel of the real car on a budget (no one clones 318 column shift cars). Who wants to pay $5,000 for a nose and $2,500 for a wing on a car that isn't real when you can slap on a Stinger wing and nose and fool 90% of the people out there? Not even everyone with a real Hemi car or real Daytona can afford to do a concourse restoration. You guys that know how to do bodywork don't count your labor in the total cost but the rest of us have to pay someone else and it adds up quick - especially when it comes to custom noses and rear window plugs. I know two guys with real Hemi cars that they've owned for 20+ years who let them sit in the garage covered with dust instead of driving them because they are worried about opinions of people who don't even have a car. They bought the cars when the prices were cheap and now can't afford the parts and labor for 100 point restorations. I fall into the same boat - I've been working on my Chargers for 3+ years because I want them done the right way but my Barracuda with a leaky engine, ratty interior, peeling paint, and various rattles and shakes gets too much attention and draws a crowd everywhere. At this point, I'd rather be driving an 80% Charger than waiting another 4 years to have one that's so perfect that I'm scared to get it out of the garage. Either way, I applaud the guys who actually get their cars out and drive/show them and have to put up with everyone who tells them how they should have done it. To those people I just wave as I'm driving away while they are piling in their mini van.

I bet if you guys pooled your money and sent that guy a real wing he'd be more than happy to put it on his car. Until then, as long as he's happy that's all that counts.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Exactly.  My car is a rat but it is mine and in spite of the many things and dollars it would take to put it right, I feel just as good driving it as I would a concours perfect Hemi car.  I don't mind ragging on some of the e-bay ads where someone portrays a car as perfect and priceless when it's really just a turd but this was a pic of some guy at a car show just having fun.  Is it a real Allison car as claimed?  No, but does the guy deserve anyone's scorn for whether or not the car is a perfect replica?  Hell no and he sure doesn't need unsolicited fashion advice on a car site either.

69_500

Some people do clones for other reasons than to turn around and get the most money possible out of them later down the road. Some people do it just because they love the cars. Not everyone likes these cars for their $$$$$$$$$. Me included.

Clones to me, should be done however the person wants. Heck if your going to try to do every detail right, why not wait till you can get a real Daytona. If your going to do a clone, do it how you want it.

Red Ram

Quote from: daytonalo on November 17, 2006, 08:57:44 PM
Looks like the owner is wearing a short persons long pants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess the park bench is the least of his worries when you dress like that  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I comes down to it, even a good "clone" is a fake version of the original. The way someone dresses is not even an issue.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

TylerCharger69

Quote from: Troy on November 18, 2006, 09:48:14 AM
I'm sorry guys but, if I remember correctly, neither Larry or Mark actually has a drivable Daytona, Daytona clone, 500, 500 clone, or even a replica race car. Yeah, that car may not be perfect but he's standing next to his car at a show and I'm sure he's proud of it even with its flaws. When yours is finished then comparisons will be possible but, until then, degrading someone else's car (who could possibly be another member) is just plain rude and juvenile - and even after that it's not much better. There are very few (counted on one hand) cars out there that can hold up to any and all scrutiny so remember that when your car isn't "perfect" and people sneer at the tiniest detail.

That's the end of my "how to act civilized" lesson of the day. ;)

Troy

That's the best statement I have heard here in a long, long time!!!

Mean 318

I don't mean to step on any toes, but what the heck? Like Troy said, just respect the guy! After all he is a MoPar guy too! It is this kind of stuff that hurts our hobby! IMO you should never insult another persons car like you are! Its just not right! Its fine if you want to point out mistakes as observations, but to call it a parts car, or to start attacking him is awful! keep that kind of stuff to yourself! :rotz:

wingcar builder

just for the record, at least he doesn't have as much in his fake as the poor sucker who bought the fake at the auction on TV. that was as much a Mario Rossi car as the one in the pic on here only this one isn't a Nichels Chassis. the guys at the auction didn't research the car very well at all.after the 1970 Rebel 500 crash Petty had they mandated the side window nets and didn't have the vent windows any more but the auction car did. so like you guy's say if your gonna build a clone get it right. weather it is a street car or a cloned Grand National car. besides the real car was no doubt rebodied again and again till the chassis was wore out. maybe they can display it with the bogus #88 Daytona.

69_500

Are you trying to imply that the #22 Daytona that was at Barrett Jackson wasn't the real deal? And are you also implying that the #88 Daytona isn't a real car? And if you are, are you refering to the #88 Daytona that is in Michigan, or the one that has been on display at various places?

wingcar builder

where is the proof for the #22 car? those chassis can be I.D'd also just like a Holman-Moody chassis can. now we all know the #88 in the museum is the test mule car. Don White still owned the real one behind his garage while the other one was in the museum. i talked to Don 10 yrs ago about that car, Ramo Stott told me about it and he didn't want to part with it then.

69_500

I never personally saw the #22 car that sold at BJ but was informed by others that it was the legit chasis. Just the sheetmetal on the outside was new. Which for most race cars would be a weekly occurance, so nothing out of the ordionary there.

I don't think the real #88 car is going anywhere anytime soon. But its still around.

TNT300

A fake is a fake is a fake, REGARDLESS of how good it is it's still just a clone.

It's his car , he's obviously dam proud of it, see the smile. And thats all that matters.

I learned a long time ago , don't pick on someone else's car with being asked.

BigBlockSam

wow, how did i miss this thread. so this is where all the trouble happened . just my two cents . none of my cars are perfect . and i get no thrill on putting down someone else's car . i can see the good in every car . i come here to see other peoples pride and joys and to show mine . also to help each other.  i've had show cars . there to much work . i like to drive my cars and not spend all the time cleaning them . be proud of what you got, alot of people with they could have a rusted out running charger,  AND HAVE FUN WITH IT! RENE
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

I think it may have been building through a few threads and was bound to happen sooner or later anyway.  In the end, you didn't miss anything and we're all happy again. :icon_smile_tongue: