News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 440 4-speed guys, need close up of pass. side AVS OEM carbs on engines...

Started by hemi68charger, November 17, 2006, 06:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I know I asked earlier for the close up of a 69 AVS carb, but now I need a close up of the passenger side, more particularly, the components of the dashpot that came only on 4-speed cars like the dashpot itself, the bracket and lever... Thanks...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Magnumcharger

69 440 4-speed close up ofAVS OEM carbs  ;D
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hemi68charger

Thanks...... Just what I was looking for.. I need that dashpot, bracket and the lever connected to the throttle blade rod........  I have a lever located if the price is right, now I need the actual dashpot and bracket.. Exactly what does the dashpot do?  I notice there isn't any vacuum going to it..............

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

A dashpot traps air behind a preloaded diaphragm and forces the throttle to close more slowly, which in an engine with a disengaged clutch and no load can happen quickly enough that the engine will stall.

MM1R/T

All of that stuff was missing from my '68 440 4 speed carb, too. A lot of cars had them removed throughout the years.

The good news is that the lever, bracket and dash pot are the same on the 383 cars, and there were a lot more of those built.

I picked up a seized Road Runner carb cheap and scavenged the pieces I needed from that.

NOS dash pots come up on eBay from time to time.

BigBlockSam

i don't have that on my 69 rr  and i don't feel any problem . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

I imagine it was a bandaid solution to a driveability issue back when they were new.  I don't think they began to appear until about the time they began to lean out stock carbs and calibrate for emissions (68 on).
But I'm only guessing, I'm no engineer.

hemi68charger

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 19, 2006, 12:37:09 PM
i don't have that on my 69 rr  and i don't feel any problem . Rene

Hey Rene..
It's not that I "need" it, but wish to have Dana as complete as possible... Sort of like the Sherlock Holmes looking for clues and parts to be as OEM as possible....  Like you stated, Dana runs fine without it.. I have located a lever, now I need the dashpot, bracket and if I get lucky, the nut that holds the dashpot to the bracket...

Troy
Troy

BigBlockSam

Quotebut wish to have Dana as complete as possible 

i understand perfectly , i was just wondering why it was there . i know how a lot of you guys about that stuff . i'm kinda that way , to a point . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

6pkrunner

Troy,
I had a few kicking around in the Carter pile quite a while ago. I'll look for you and see if any are left. During the old days, stuff like that was just extra baggage. ;D Now all those parts are needed.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6pkrunner on November 20, 2006, 06:49:03 AM
Troy,
I had a few kicking around in the Carter pile quite a while ago. I'll look for you and see if any are left. During the old days, stuff like that was just extra baggage. ;D Now all those parts are needed.

Hey Mike, that would be great if you could find one.. Thanks for looking......

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

Troy,

Sorry to chime in so late on this.  Here's a pic of the back side of my 4617 carb, showing a bit more of the bracket, etc.  I can snap off a few other shots if you need (this is an older shot).  Speak up soon though, as it's all going north on Thursday...

Geno

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on November 20, 2006, 09:58:17 AM
Troy,

Sorry to chime in so late on this.  Here's a pic of the back side of my 4617 carb, showing a bit more of the bracket, etc.  I can snap off a few other shots if you need (this is an older shot).  Speak up soon though, as it's all going north on Thursday...

Geno

Please do Geno !!!  Going North? Did you sell it !!??  Any other components laying around?...... Or, is that the Daytona's carb?
Troy

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 20, 2006, 10:13:27 AM
Troy,

Geno

Please do Geno !!!  Going North? Did you sell it !!??  Any other components laying around?...... Or, is that the Daytona's carb?

Troy,

I did not sell the carb or the car...  That is indeed the Daytona's carb and it is heading up to Vance Cummins' shop in Michigan along with everything else related to that car.  I don't think I have another dashpot or bracket, unfortunately.  Both of the core carbs I had were without the dashpot, although I found one on eBay about 3 years ago.  Dick Katter has a TON of parts like that, but he might not sell parts outright unless you were having him do the carb resto also.

Which shots/angles would you like a picture of?  I know you were asking for pics of the accelerator pump before, but I didn't post any pictures since this carb hasn't been run since the resto and I can't vouch for how it performs.  Just lemme know what you're looking for and I'll drag the ol' digital cam and tripod out...

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on November 20, 2006, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 20, 2006, 10:13:27 AM
Troy,

Geno

Troy,

I did not sell the carb or the car...  That is indeed the Daytona's carb and it is heading up to Vance Cummins' shop in Michigan along with everything else related to that car.  I don't think I have another dashpot or bracket, unfortunately.  Both of the core carbs I had were without the dashpot, although I found one on eBay about 3 years ago.  Dick Katter has a TON of parts like that, but he might not sell parts outright unless you were having him do the carb resto also.

Which shots/angles would you like a picture of?  I know you were asking for pics of the accelerator pump before, but I didn't post any pictures since this carb hasn't been run since the resto and I can't vouch for how it performs.  Just lemme know what you're looking for and I'll drag the ol' digital cam and tripod out...

Ahhhh, the ole' resto starts !!??  very cool !!!! I guess just some of the passenger side from the front and rear so I can see how everything lines up. I have found a lever, now the important parts, the dashpot and bracket.........  Are  you still in need of the hood seal? Which me to send it to you or Vance? Sorry for such the delay, by Julie and the house seem to have drained alot of my "I'll get to it soon" ambitions for my friends..  :-\
Troy