News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 Overdrive swap?

Started by timinator, November 26, 2006, 01:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I have a 833 23 spline 4 speed in my Charger. Is it possible to swap it out for a late 70's overdrive 833 trans? I know the front bearing retainer is larger on the OD transmission, 5.125" vs 4.807". My trans is the large pilot (308) with the 4.807" retainer and 4.16" bolt circle 23 spline. (same as the hemi trans except it's an 18 spline) It appears the OD trans also used the 308 bearing. I guess my question is can I just swap out the gear set of an overdrive so I can use my current bellhousing and case and keep the 4.807" bearing retainer?

70daytonaclone

HI just change the front bearing retainer from one trans to the other and keep the rest of your stock parts. that easy YES  Stephen :icon_smile_wink:

Chryco Psycho

either way works , you can just swap the brg retainer or swapt eh gearss into the Iron case , the only issue is tweaking the 34 rod to clear the trans crossmember as the lever sits pointing down on the OD trans