News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alt/regulator wiring question

Started by koshe, November 26, 2006, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koshe

I have a 69 Charger, and I have a few questions about the wiring. (No I did not do it...) The battery goes through alot of water. The lights flair with acceleration, and the gauge on the dash is all over the place. I am trying to figure out a couple of things. I have 2 boxes on the firewall. I think one is for the HEI someone added. I have pics, but to large to post. I can e-mail them is needed. The small black one on the right looks like the regulator to me. the left side is marked FLD with a green wire attached. The IGN side has 3 wires going to it. All black, one with with a white stripe. Likely not original wiring on that side. I want to replace the regulator, but want everything to work right. I have a pic of the alternator, but does not fit in the ad. Anyone have a part number for the correct regulator??

Can someone point me in the right direction???

Chryco Psycho

12v power goes to the regulator, blue wire , the green wire adjusts the voltage to the alt  so the regulator could be bad , the alt should have 2 terminals , the main power output [black ] & the green wire from the reg
either the regulator or alt could be bad , & it is overcharging If the battery is being boiled dry   

koshe

here is a pic of what I have...thanks!!

Chryco Psycho

looks rigth to me , the second pic has the VR to the right & the ECU below the ballast on the left

koshe

should I just go to NAPA and buy one? Does it have 1 field and 1 ignition input/output?

koshe

Or can I split up the Ignition wires to hook onto multiple terminals on the same side? It looks a little cobled up the way it exosts now....

Blue Pentastar

That is the factory style hookup. You can just go to Napa or any good quality auto parts store but if your battery is going thru a lot of water check it after words you either have a bad regulator thus over charging or a battery with at least one bad cell. That will make it charge constantly to try to get the battery up to full charge. Had that happened on one of my previous chargers.

Mike
69 Charger White Hat Special  
04 Chrysler 300M Special
99 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel

Nacho-RT74

Reason to water is overflowing is no more that overcharge. Is very common when you have several variations levels on charge load. You NEED to get a good average load.

As I have explained and even I'm not THE EXPERT I just can talk from my experience, Mopar charging system main problem is low charge at iddle what makes full charge at  throttle. Those peaks makes overheat and melts everything from wires, terminals, regulator, and damage batteries, ammeters on clusters, melt brushes isolators etc...

I'm noticing you have Electronic ignition Module and mechanical regulator. That makes also get variations on spark power. My advice is try to get an Electronic regulator to get better  average load.

To save from the low charge at iddle the real solution is smaller alt pulley AND upgrade the alt with a powerfull kit or a stock lates 70s alt able to drive up to 90 amps, specially with A/C cars. Problem with A/C systems are really the blower, so is the same to heaters systems. If you use your car in winter, and use the heater, I would upgrade too.

If you upgrade the alt, then also upgrade the wiring with paralel wires throught firewall from alt to ammeter and then to starter relay stud, to release the extra load from the original wiring and terminals.

I have told this hundreds of times and will do every time I see thsi topic to save you from the bigger headache on Mopars.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html