News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.7 hemi piston failure results

Started by RD, December 12, 2006, 11:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

got these pics from my machine shop.  we have a detroit diesel machine plant here in town.  they got these heads and were trying to salvage them.  unfortunately for them, they are idiots.  my machine shop has them now and will fix them for them.  hope you like the pics.

it looks like it was #7 and #6 cylinders, or #8 and #5 :D.  really forgot to check.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger_Fan

Doesn't look like it sucked any valves, did they say what it injested?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TylerCharger69

Ya know...my guitar player had the same trouble with his Hemi 1500   Pistons failed,   and after he took that in to get fixed,  then valve springs failed.  That hemi has had 9 recalls on it so far, so he traded it in on a dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel.   Some trucks were built in Mexico,  some were built in the U.S.   DON'T  buy one that was assembled in Mexico!!!   Something I've learned throughout the past week.

Ponch ®

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 12, 2006, 01:46:42 PM
  Some trucks were built in Mexico,  some were built in the U.S.   DON'T  buy one that was assembled in Mexico!!!   Something I've learned throughout the past week.

yeah yeah...always blame it on the mexicans. :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

RD

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 12, 2006, 01:32:52 PM
Doesn't look like it sucked any valves, did they say what it injested?

valves got sunk into the seats, and that is why the detroit diesel fellerz brought it to my machine shop.  they did not know how to remove the seats since they were thoroughly damaged.

my machine shop just cut them out right in front of the detroit guys making them feel, well... really stupid.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

72chargerSE

Ya know...my guitar player had the same trouble with his Hemi 1500   Pistons failed,   and after he took that in to get fixed,  then valve springs failed.  That hemi has had 9 recalls on it so far, so he traded it in on a dodge 2500 Cummins turbo diesel.   Some trucks were built in Mexico,  some were built in the U.S.   DON'T  buy one that was assembled in Mexico!!!   Something I've learned throughout the past week.

ALL HEMI engines are assembled in Mexico. Trucks are assembled in the U.S. and Mexico.

Mike

Nacho-RT74

Next step will be blame to VENEZUELA because HUMMER1 chassis was Made in here...

Oh wait, that's the only Hummer that works good and US Army uses... :D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TylerCharger69

Quote from: 72chargerSE on December 12, 2006, 03:41:14 PM

ALL HEMI engines are assembled in Mexico. Trucks are assembled in the U.S. and Mexico.

Mike

Well...not according to the dealer....both guitar player  and bass player  (who are fraternal twin brothers)  bought their Hemi trucks the same day.  Alberts was assembled in the U.S.   and Christian's  was assembled in Mexico.    Albert has not had any recalls on his as of yet,  when Christian had a total of nine.  The broadcast sheet on Albert's shows U.S. assembly.....

72chargerSE

All HEMI ENGINES are assembled in MEXICO.

The Engines Are Assembled In Mexico...

You can have a truck built in the US with a Mexican ENGINE

Or you can have a truck built in Mexico with a Mexican ENGINE.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 72chargerSE on December 12, 2006, 03:41:14 PM

Mike

nice to know that, wont ever buy one of those
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TylerCharger69

Yeah...I know several people who have had problems with these engines....Sounds like big pieces of crap to me...I'll never buy one.....If I ever get to afford a Hemi...It's going to be a 426  or a 426 based block!!

smasherofall

I haven't had any recalls on my 03 since I bought new, no problems so far   :yesnod:

41husk

How can you tell were your Engine was assembled?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

firefighter3931

Ouch ! Jamey, any idea why this happened ? Was the rod snapped in two or did the piston just shatter ? Those chambers look rough !  :o

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WINGMAN

I am a tech at a Dodge Dealership for 13 years now and the engne man, Have had one hemi with a broken valve spring but thats it. They just do not have many problems, and we sell LOTS of them. They are a better engine than the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum by light years. And Man i should know.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Silver R/T

Quote from: MojoJojo Classic ® on December 12, 2006, 01:57:44 PM
Some trucks were built in Mexico, some were built in the U.S. DON'T buy one that was assembled in Mexico!!! Something I've learned throughout the past week.

yeah yeah...always blame it on the mexicans. :icon_smile_big:

hey dude maybe you can interpret for them that they gotta bump it up a notch on quality standards.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

72chargerSE

Quote from: 41husk on December 13, 2006, 12:37:45 PM
How can you tell were your Engine was assembled?

All HEMI engines are assembled in Mexico.

Charger41971

That was nasty!  :o  Glad I don't have no stinkin' Hemi.  ;) :icon_smile_big:

Tim
'71 Charger McCandless-built 383/727/3.55 SG (sons)
'06 2500 CTD

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 13, 2006, 01:54:02 PM
Ouch ! Jamey, any idea why this happened ? Was the rod snapped in two or did the piston just shatter ? Those chambers look rough !  :o

Ron

Ron, i will find out more tomorrow and give you all an update.

Jamey

Challenger340

Looks like it melted the top ring land, busted up a ring.

Detonation ?

Bad injector ?

What happened ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BMOTOXSTAR

What band are yoU in? Have a My Space? What kind of music.
Later,BMOTOXSTAR#079
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

resq302

My dad and I had twin matching 05 Hemi Ram quad cab 1500 4x4's.  He traded his in for a Ford F150 since his engine had 11,000 miles and was knocking worse than a diesel and two dealerships said that was normal that it was the "Hemi Knock".  I gave up on my truck after I blew 4 power steering pumps (literally grenaded) in under 6,000 miles.  That and 40+ other problems with my truck and I was fighting with DC to buy it back.  It seems since Daimler bought out Chrysler, quality control has gone down hill fast and it is all about how many they can sell with how high of a price they can get. :rotz:  I think I will stick to the older cars that have no computers and were built to last.  Not built to be replaced every 5 years.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

greenpigs

Great, I hope I got one of the good HEMIs in my truck.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Brock Samson

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on December 14, 2006, 04:42:57 PM

What band are yoU in? Have a My Space? What kind of music.
Later,BMOTOXSTAR#079

HEY Guys! GET A ROOM!

(sorry)

LilRedDave

Please enlighten me as to what these heads have to do with Detroit Diesel.

Schuler

Quote from: WINGMAN on December 13, 2006, 09:12:49 PM
  I am a tech at a Dodge Dealership for 13 years now and the engne man, Have had one hemi with a broken valve spring but thats it. They just do not have many problems, and we sell LOTS of them. They are a better engine than the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum by light years. And Man i should know.

Yeah, I worked at a dealership as a service adviser and it didn't seem like the hemis had many problems. I don't remember seeing any problems like that picture shows. Biggest complaint is noise from the injectors.
-Zach Schuler
1969 Charger RT/SE 14.091 @ 98.25 (spinning)
1997 Cherokee Sport 4x4 16.057 @ 84
1956 D-100 Pickup
http://www.cardomain.com/id/schuler

RD

Quote from: LilRedDave on December 18, 2006, 02:26:58 PM
Please enlighten me as to what these heads have to do with Detroit Diesel.

detroit diesel is a daimler chrysler company, they received the engine to fix it for DC.  that is about all I know.  forgot to ask my machine shop the other questions :D