News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trailer Hitch

Started by 1970 Charger 500, December 15, 2006, 12:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

doesnt look like it'll hold much.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

its deffinatly not built the way an owners manual for a charger shows
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

PocketThunder

what are you gonna tow with it? ???
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jgbailey57

It looks just like the one on my 69 R/T.  I'm not saying it's original or anything, but it's on there and it's gonna stay.  I plan to tow a pop-up camper with mine.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

Brock Samson

ok folks how about some pics of trailer hitches?..  :yesnod:

Rocky

Here is mine :yesnod:

Brock Samson

wanna sell it?.. seriously.  :yesnod:

1970 Charger 500

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 15, 2006, 12:04:15 PM
what are you gonna tow with it? ???

I have a period correct 10' fiberglass boat and a 1970 trailer!
I thought it would be fun to pull my boat to a show or 2.
I have old tackle and fishing poles and other outdoor stuff my grandfather had.
It would only be cool if the hitch was correct!
It shows 1970 1968-69 Charger right on it!!!!!!

Rocky

The owner before me used it to haul his jet-ski to the lake. :o   

Could you imagine backing a Charger down a boat ramp and into the water? :image_294343:

On second thought, I'd probably do it if I had a jet-ski.

Daytona R/T SE

I just had to post this  :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Charger + trailer hitch = sick-n-wrong. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

had one on my Charger when i got it. Got rid of it since and welded up holes

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 16, 2006, 01:13:24 PM
::)    i always thought  that was a factory installed  tow hitch , as if i saw a charger with a tow hitch it was  always this type but ... i think it was Chris (6T9) who said that no tow hitches were factory installed , even with the trailer tow package
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970 Charger 500

I am not looking to tow anything seriously or use it at all really.
I am just looking for options to add to my car to make it stand out a little more.
I have a '70 Charger 500 383!!! Not much flash or very many rare original options.
I believe that the 500's are not NEARLY as coveted as the R/T's so I don't get as many looks.
The one way I can get more looks is to add more unusual options such as a correct trailer hitch or
a luggage rack even...another thought of mine that people keep talking me out of.
I am pretty competitive and park next to 70charginglizard at most shows,
you know how cool Kelly's car is!!

Brock Samson

It's also a great deterent to folks nudgin your car...  :yesnod:
so rocky im thinkin your's isn't the "Correct" type...
i'm also considering chroming a Jenny Lee push bar for the front...
(maybe ringing the car with rebar, I'm not yet sure if i'm gonna chrome that or not...  :icon_smile_big:  )

Rocky

No mine is definitely not correct, but it does look a helluva lot stronger than anything else I've seen.  It tucks nicely under the valance too.

Brock Samson

it' does look pretty stout, i'm likin the bracing.

WheresMyCharger

I had one on my '69 similar to the one you show. Only difference is the mounting plate went between the gas tank and the bumper support.I got it at u-haul in 1980 and it was probably on his shelf for years. It was definatly the last one in the area. I used it to haul a 16' fiberglass boat. I had a lot of fun pulling the boat up the ramp with 4 speed and sure-grip :yesnod:
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

472 R/T SE

Do both, the hitch with a trailer and the luggage rack.  Put a suitcase with your cleaning supplies or your favorite beverages in it on the rack when you come pulling in, I think that would look neat. 
That's how we used to drive them, they were the basic means of transportation.

Do you run the stock or modified class?  You can always conveniently disable Kelly's car.  ;D

1970 Charger 500

I have thought of all that exactly!!
I thought a '70's suitcase would be fun. Someone on ebay sells repro luggage racks
I would have to have two deck lids, I really do not want to drill holes in the original
I enter in the stock class
I am having fun with my 500!

70charginglizard

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 17, 2006, 10:55:34 PM
You can always conveniently disable Kelly's car.  ;D

Hey Hey Hey....Enough of that kind of talk!  :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_approve:
70charginglizard

Silver R/T

here's one I had on my Charger

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69chargerboy

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 16, 2006, 01:13:24 PM

I always tear up a bit when I see this picture.......    :cryin:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

no318

I have one off of my 68 that I would gladly sell for the $50 bid on that one.  I don't want to use it, but apparantly some people do have a need for them.

ACUDANUT

That tow package looks stronger than the one I have. It bolts only to the bumber ?? I towed my 18 ft ski boat with it and never had any problems. I like your better !!

6pkrtse

My 70 R/T S.E. has evidence of once having a trailer hitch on it. Mine seemed to have been mounted just as the pictures Daytona R/T SE & Silver R/T posted. It was removed by a previous owner. Anyone have one that looks like the ones pictured. I am interesed in purchasing another one to put back on some day.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Brock Samson

Bought the hitch today, an old friend and I took a 45 min. cruise out to Rocky's and saw his projects and shot the breeze for about an hour, went for a ride n the usual stuff..
The extra weight of the hitch in the trunk helped abit out on the freeway ride cause of the super stock springs,.. i got a little shimmy when the real axel hops and i could tell the extra weight helped... passed them hondas on the uphill grades like they were standing still...
a great day.  :icon_smile_wink:
Thanks Rocky!

bull

Heck yes! I'd tow something with my Charger, especially a period-correct boat or RV if I had one. That would be very cool IMO.

Rocky

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 07, 2007, 07:29:56 PM
Bought the hitch today, an old friend and I took a 45 min. cruise out to Rocky's and saw his projects and shot the breeze for about an hour, went for a ride n the usual stuff..
The extra weight of the hitch in the trunk helped abit out on the freeway ride cause of the super stock springs,.. i got a little shimmy when the real axel hops and i could tell the extra weight helped... passed them hondas on the uphill grades like they were standing still...
a great day.  :icon_smile_wink:
Thanks Rocky!

It was great to finally meet someone from the board in person,  after seeing so many show cars, I started to develop a complex about having a driver, but after 3 minutes of riding in your car you solved all that, and made me realize how crucial break upgrades are to these old cars.  I'm happy the hitch has a good home, and hope that you will keep in touch.

Rocky

Brock Samson

my idea for the future... (next five years)  :icon_smile_tongue:

jgbailey57

hey that was my idea.  so much for thinking i had something original.  i could've bought a camper like the blue/white one for $50 a few years ago, but hadn't come up with the idea yet.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

PocketThunder

i used to follow airstreams around the classified and ebay back when i had my 55 Chevy and wanted to do the period correct camping trips.  But they are not cheap!  for a single axle 16' Bambi they were getting $5000 ~ $10,000 for one.  The tandem axle Overlanders are a dime a dozen but those little ones, (Bubbles, Pacers, Globetrotters, Wee Wind) etc. are sought after by aging baby boomers for the get away weekend now that the kids are gone.

Here is a nice website on Airstreams.   http://www.vintageairstream.com/
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

thanks good site!
Todd got a pop up trailer...  ;)
hows that truck commin todd?.
so what's the deal with the airstreams?.. I just as easy might get a conversion van for 1/4 the price..
i'd like to customise a Ram Van...  :yesnod: hell you could put a 440 there used to be a few of those runnin around, But redoin an A.S. would cost alot more...
...really...    :ahum:

1970 Charger 500

Just got the trailer hitch installed!
I think it looks cool! There is still some rust to be removed, and of course the hardest place to clean is a visible spot!!

Brock Samson

i'm trying to hook my hitch on,..  :brickwall: i need some help, does it have plates inside the trunk?.. or between the tank?..
simply bolting it to the rails with loong bolts through the frame dosen't look right.... do i have to have that loop thing that fits to the rear bumper?..
I'm stuck here,.. anyone know?...  :shruggy:

1970 Charger 500

Here are all my pics

last426

In 1973 with my first 71 R/T I towed a 14 foot 35 hp outboard boat from Reno to Tahoe for a day of boating.  I had big old Mickey Thompsons on the back and when I went to yank the thing out of the water, the boat filled with water.  We winched it onto the trailer and those wet and wide tires started smoking draggin' all that weight out.  I still have the hitch.  It is a simple thing that clamps onto the rear bumper, by the gas cap on a 71.  It is an absolute wonder that the bumper did not pull off.  I bet the water drained out of the little drain hole for a half an hour, maybe longer.  Wow, brings back memories.  Kim 

Brock Samson

my hitch,..  i bought from rocky is a hell of a lot stouter then yours... see the pics above,.. so the car's down at the local shop and they are telling me the rear frame rails wont handle the weight...  :shruggy: i'm curious if they know what they are talking about...  :scratchchin: mounting that thing is a two man operation since i'd guess it weighs near '70-80 lbs.. so i was thinking four long bolts would do it but the shop owner (nice guy i concider a friend, name of Paul BTW) is telling me i need to weld two long plates into the trunk to help support it...
This is not what I'm thinking...  :scratchchin:
so now I need your help..  :shruggy:

Brock Samson

Update:

I've decided against the hitch for now,..
installing ther new dash now...
frame's fixed though and that's good...
any other car it would be concidered totalled...
I'm trying to get er done for the eureka meet..

squeakfinder

This was on mine when I got it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

moparstuart

Anyone have a 68- 70 hitch you wanna sell ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE