News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone here affected by Katrina?..

Started by Brock Samson, August 30, 2005, 07:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

I heard a news (CNN) report that it was only 7 % of USA fuel consumption. Who really knows and to be frankly with you the oil companies will come up with other excuses from their PR manual "What to tell the public while increasing profits"
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

67_Dodge_Charger

Is anyone here on the site going there to help out?

Robert

69bananabeast

in the past two days gas went from $2.38  to $2.75  :smash:   . Im begining to think I should have built a chopper instead of the 446  :ahum:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

TheGhost

Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 03:31:36 AMAnd note to the rest of the world: remember how ya'll said we didn't give "enough" to Thailand after the tsunami?  How 'bout showing US what "enough" is?

No crap.  They expect us to give out to everyone else, but when we need the help, let's see how they pay us back.  I say, if they turn their backs on us, we turn ours on them.  Next time any one of them have a disaster, we flat out refuse to send help.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

DarkAngel0816

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on August 31, 2005, 01:51:47 PM
Is anyone here on the site going there to help out?

Robert

I will be donating money as well as clothing-I have so much and was planning on having a garage sale in order to try and get some money for my Charger...but that is not important.  I am contacting some agencies about both on Friday.

We are also pushing my Stepfathers job to let him have a semi for the weekend...so we can drive down there and bring tons of water.  At least we hope to, but if not then money is on it's way from me.

I do have family North of New Orleans--they are fine, but it is heartbreaking to see this type of suffering.  We can all say "They should have..."  or "Why did they...", but I think none of us can really make an assumption such as that unless we were there.  Life in New Orleans or Biloxi is all that some of these people know....
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

Big Lebowski

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on August 31, 2005, 12:14:10 PM
I heard a news (CNN) report that it was only 7 % of USA fuel consumption. Who really knows and to be frankly with you the oil companies will come up with other excuses from their PR manual "What to tell the public while increasing profits"

Why bash the oil companies? The cold hard truth is...because of whacko enviro legislation, NO new gas refineries have been built for 20 years. So to make this worse, our refineries were at max 98% capacity for making gas. 4 refineries were destroyed in the hurricane. Think about it.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

CFMopar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050831/ca_pr_on_na/katrina_cda_aid

Were going to help but I dont think it was implied Canada when saying if any other nation was going to help. I wouldnt hold your breath for most asian nations though. They wont have the money to help.

Im going to contact my redcross office and see if they need volunteers to go down. I dont like my job anyways  :-\
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Shakey on August 31, 2005, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 12:06:19 PM
QuoteI thinks someone is piggy backing on the disaster and price gouging!!

Perhaps the immediate jump is unwarranted (perhaps), but let's remember that about 25% of the nation's refining facilities are in this area and very much affected.   Gas is indeed going to get more expensive, but you can't argue with mother nature.

The immediate jump IS unwarranted as the gas that the retailers have raised the price on is already in the tanks on their property.   The increase in the per barrel price of oil is forecasted for October delivery.

Here's a fun little scenario for you: you're a gas station owner who finds out that, overnight, your supply of gasoline might in fact be cut off for the next week or two.  Say you're paying your mortgage, keeping your business afloat, and paying your bills like a normal citizen does - thus, to have all your profit cut off for even a week or two would be very detrimental to your continued existence.  What do you do to make up for the lost gasoline of the next week or two?  Gee, raise the prices on what you already have to compensate for future losses.  Is that greed, or is it survival?  Why does a gas station owner or an oil company employee suddenly grow horns and a forked tail every time the price jumps?  They're people like you and me.

Remember, in economics expectations are just as important as information.

Charger_Croatia

Here we were shocked to see what's left after Katrina. Due to our sea deep inside continent (Adriatic) we have some storms but not anything like that.

Prayers to all people affected with this disaster.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Shakey

Quote from: Ghost on August 31, 2005, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 03:31:36 AMAnd note to the rest of the world: remember how ya'll said we didn't give "enough" to Thailand after the tsunami?   How 'bout showing US what "enough" is?

No crap.   They expect us to give out to everyone else, but when we need the help, let's see how they pay us back.   I say, if they turn their backs on us, we turn ours on them.   Next time any one of them have a disaster, we flat out refuse to send help.

Who turned their backs on the United States?

Isn't the United States the most wealthy country in the world?  They are also the most generous!  I can imagine the folks in LA & MS could use some physical help but as far as financial, shouldn't the US Government be sending money?  I know that there are large campaigns here in Canada to raise money for the victims as well as care packages including medicine to be sent to LA & MS.

Personally, I have started one here at my office as one of my customers is in LA and we plan on sending canned food, clothing, blankets, diapers and water early next week to our customer in LA to distribute to their affected employees.

Shakey

Quote from: Vainglory on September 01, 2005, 12:44:24 AM
Quote from: Shakey on August 31, 2005, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 12:06:19 PM
QuoteI thinks someone is piggy backing on the disaster and price gouging!!

Perhaps the immediate jump is unwarranted (perhaps), but let's remember that about 25% of the nation's refining facilities are in this area and very much affected.   Gas is indeed going to get more expensive, but you can't argue with mother nature.

The immediate jump IS unwarranted as the gas that the retailers have raised the price on is already in the tanks on their property.   The increase in the per barrel price of oil is forecasted for October delivery.

Here's a fun little scenario for you: you're a gas station owner who finds out that, overnight, your supply of gasoline might in fact be cut off for the next week or two.   Say you're paying your mortgage, keeping your business afloat, and paying your bills like a normal citizen does - thus, to have all your profit cut off for even a week or two would be very detrimental to your continued existence.   What do you do to make up for the lost gasoline of the next week or two?   Gee, raise the prices on what you already have to compensate for future losses.   Is that greed, or is it survival?   Why does a gas station owner or an oil company employee suddenly grow horns and a forked tail every time the price jumps?   They're people like you and me.

Remember, in economics expectations are just as important as information.

That was fun!

topduarte

Last night we cancelled out holiday weekend trip to Houston (Astros game Friday night, NASA tour Saturday morning, Beach in the afternoon, shopping with wife on Sunday, etc.)   this trip was planned a month ago!!

We felt bad as we are going to Houston to have fun while others are heading to Houston for help!

Cancelled out 2 hotel rooms last night as either a victim or a volunteer needs those rooms, got a refund on Astros tickets.

What was weird as we were cancelling one of the hotel rooms last night, the girl on the line was crying as I told her I rather have the rooms go to somebody else.

I told our kids and they   understood sort of.   I told them we would have some fun here in Austin!   the little one does not understand totally what the hurricane did, my older son does understand "alot of people were hurt and now have no homes!"

Very sad indeed.

I kinda feel like after 9/11 but in a different way.   Family and I are planning to donate our old clothes, collect some canned food and water and deliver them to the Red Cross on Saturday!!

We are all affected directly or indirectly IMO!

4402tuff4u

That's really honorable of you Topduarte. What goes around comes around. Here's to you  :cheers:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Steve P.

Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 03:31:36 AM
My parents evacuated Destin, FL, but it doesn't look like much of anything hit that far east.   'Course they turn tail and run any time the wind gusts...

I sincerely hope everything in New Orleans will be cleaned up and brought back under control soon.   And note to the rest of the world: remember how ya'll said we didn't give "enough" to Thailand after the tsunami?   How 'bout showing US what "enough" is?

I couldn't agree more......

Destin is ok, Vain...     Also a good idea to have a suitcase packed for the haul ass mode.. Smart parents..

Also, a buddy of mine just picked up some clothes, blankets and some (still in plastic bags), beenie babies from us.. There are allot of kids there with nothing too...  He's filling his truck and going to the help center now..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Shakey

Charger_Fan

Is there a closeup of that chick? I see a wet t-shirt. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 01, 2005, 02:22:56 PM

I thought about that too, but she is a bit beefy!

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on September 01, 2005, 02:24:24 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 01, 2005, 02:22:56 PM

I thought about that too, but she is a bit beefy!

how do you think shes staying afloat?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Steve P.

Good point Mojo.. I'd say that if Florida or California had the same thing happen, a high percentage of the woman would survive.. Unless they suffocate themselves!! ;D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Steve P. on September 01, 2005, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on August 31, 2005, 03:31:36 AM
My parents evacuated Destin, FL, but it doesn't look like much of anything hit that far east.   'Course they turn tail and run any time the wind gusts...

I sincerely hope everything in New Orleans will be cleaned up and brought back under control soon.   And note to the rest of the world: remember how ya'll said we didn't give "enough" to Thailand after the tsunami?   How 'bout showing US what "enough" is?

I couldn't agree more......

Destin is ok, Vain...     Also a good idea to have a suitcase packed for the haul ass mode.. Smart parents..

Also, a buddy of mine just picked up some clothes, blankets and some (still in plastic bags), beenie babies from us.. There are allot of kids there with nothing too...   He's filling his truck and going to the help center now..

Yeah, they're in a pretty good area for hurricanes, actually.  The "Destin Dome" is an area of hot water caused by the land formations around Choctawhatchee Bay, and hurricanes tend to head for the colder water.  Anyway, my dad's sister up in Nashville is getting plenty of visits this summer.

I've got some bags of clothes and such ready to go out to the Red Cross too, but I'm glad to see so many people trying to help out, even if they're far from the affected areas.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on September 01, 2005, 11:29:08 AM
That's really honorable of you Topduarte. What goes around comes around. Here's to you   :cheers:
:iagree: