News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Curing Wheel Hop - final update - FIXED!

Started by 471_Magnum, December 16, 2006, 05:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Since switching back to drag radials, I've been dealing with some nasty wheel hop.

Never was a problem on regular street radials... it just spun.

Now it's hopping on launch and on the 1-2 upshift.

I'm trying to nurse the 8 3/4 behind the stick for as long as possible before upgrading to a Dana 60. This wheel hop is going to make quick work of the 8 3/4 if I don't get it under control.

I currently run XHD springs and a stock snubber, along with KYB shocks. Pinion angle was about 1.5- 2 degrees down.

Yesterday I shimmed the axle down with 2 degree shims and installed an adjustible snubber with about 1" clearance.

That seemed to cure the hop, however, 1" clearance isn't enough on the street and unfortunately, that's as low as it goes. I was bottoming out frequently on a drive across town.

So today a I reinstalled the stock snubber, which has about 2.5"- 3" clearance. The hop is back.  >:(

I've heard of clamping the front leafs to control the axle wrap, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

This is first and foremost a street car, so I'm not looking to make any mods that will sacrifice streetability
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

THE CHARGER PUNK

Ladder bars or what some people call ''traction bars''

471_Magnum

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 16, 2006, 11:28:24 PM
Would cal trac's help?

I'm sure it would, but that's a little bigger of an investment than I want to make.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Jon Smith

can you get an adjustable snubber that goes lower? if that cured it
or modify it so it goes lower? or even take it off for street driving?

471_Magnum

Quote from: Jon Smith on December 17, 2006, 10:14:29 AM
can you get an adjustable snubber that goes lower? if that cured it
or modify it so it goes lower? or even take it off for street driving?

I can't modify it to go lower, but I could shim the stock snubber higher and find the happy medium. Installing the snubber only at the track is an option I'm considering, but I'd like to have better control on the street as well.

Most racers will tell you the snubber is a band-aid for spring wrap. If I could get the spring wrap under the control, the snubber wouldn't be needed.

My XHD springs may just be getting tired. They were rebuilt and re-arched more than 15 years ago. It may just be time for some new springs.

To elaborate on my previous comment regarding the Caltracs; to do it right, you need the Caltracs bars, monoleaf springs and new shocks... a pretty good investment. Also, that takes the car one step closer to dedicated a race car, which isn't what I'm after.

Ghoste

I'd start with a new set of the Hemi leaf springs from Espo or Eaton Detroit.  Not MP.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2006, 11:09:49 AM
I'd start with a new set of the Hemi leaf springs from Espo or Eaton Detroit.  Not MP.

That's kind of the direction I'm thinking. I've requested quotes from both. Neither lists prices on their websites.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 17, 2006, 10:43:58 AM

My XHD springs may just be getting tired. They were rebuilt and re-arched more than 15 years ago. It may just be time for some new springs.

To elaborate on my previous comment regarding the Caltracs; to do it right, you need the Caltracs bars, monoleaf springs and new shocks... a pretty good investment. Also, that takes the car one step closer to dedicated a race car, which isn't what I'm after.

The caltracs will work with an oem spring, but you need some good shocks. They are very streetable, but you should back off the preload a tad for street driving.

The xhd springs are a good alternative and should work well....allthough not as well as the Caltrac setup. Rebuilt 37 year old springs are pretty tired at this point.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

I've heard the Caltracs work best with softer springs... not XHD or SS... of course, they recommend their own mono-leafs.

$350 for the Caltracs, plus another $180 for Rancho (or equivalent) adjustable shocks is really over my budget at this point. Another $300 for springs is out of the question.

So from a budget approach, where should I start? New XHD springs? New shocks? Good old fashion slapper bars?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 17, 2006, 02:23:24 PM
I've heard the Caltracs work best with softer springs... not XHD or SS... of course, they recommend they're own mono-leafs.

$350 for the Caltracs, plus another $180 for Rancho (or equivalent) adjustable shocks is really over my budget at this point. Another $300 for springs is out of the question.

So from a budget approach, where should I start? New XHD springs? New shocks? Good old fashion slapper bars?

From a budget standpoint, the xhd spring from a good vender like Eaton or Espo is the way to go. What are you running for rear shocks ?

That stroker is making waaaay more power  :devil:  than those springs were originally designed for....letalone tired rebuilt springs.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

I've got some old KYBs on the back. I've had them off before and they seem to be in pretty good shape (no leaks and the gas charge is intact), but they predate my ownership of the car and might date back to the original restoration back in the early nineties. Shouldn't have a ton of mileage on them though, and they seem to ride okay.

Just the same, probably a good time to upgrade. Not sure I can stomach $180 for Ranchos though.

I've run this combo for a while behind this motor with no wheel hop. I think installing the Tremec screwed up the pinion angle somewhat, although I was okay on street radials. The stickier Nitto drags must have exceeded the limits of the old springs... That's my theory at least.  ::)

Ghoste

I thought Eaton had prices on their site?  Anyway, I think I paid about 300 bucks for a pair a little over a year ago from them.  Hmmm, bill might still be around here somewhere...

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2006, 03:55:28 PM
I thought Eaton had prices on their site?  Anyway, I think I paid about 300 bucks for a pair a little over a year ago from them.  Hmmm, bill might still be around here somewhere...

Just found a PDF file on their website.... $429 pr.... YEEEOUCH!  :o

Think I'll check with ESPO.

Silver R/T

Jim used to have CalTracs on his green R/T before he sold it. It would hook up very good
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

I don't think mine were that much, but it was still money well spent.

Chryco Psycho

try a set of square top 3-4" U bolts clamped 1/2 way down the front spring section

471_Magnum

Got a quote back from Eaton: $429 + $63 shipping.

All of a sudden making the investment in a Caltracs almost looks reasonable.

Any opinions on the Competion Engineering Slide-A-Link?

d72hemi

I know one of the Mopar mags. did an artical on using Ranchero rear shock setup to fix wheel hop. Sorry I don't have access to that artical, but I know it is online somewhere, I just did not see it in the 5 minutes I spent looking for it.

471_Magnum

firefighter3931

Have you checked with ESPO (Springs & Things) for pricing ?

Ron

471_Magnum

Just sent a request for quote.

firefighter3931

Mancini also sells the SS springs for $230 with free shackles or u-bolts, but you would have to replace the front hangers because the forward segment is 2in shorter on the SS springs (20in vs 22in). I haven't heard anything bad about the SS springs.....just the MP xhd springs. I have a set going on my 68 (SS springs) and they are pretty stiff....i just installed them with the new Dana.

Fwiw, most of the complaints of read on other boards regarding MP leafs has been with the a-body guys....go figure.  ???

Ron

471_Magnum

Got the quote from ESPO: $190 pr + $55 S/H

Why the heck does Eaton think they're springs are worth so much more?!?!

Ghoste

I don't know.  I picked mine up at their shop and I don't think it's overhead.