News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear End Gear Swap

Started by tommymac, December 22, 2006, 09:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommymac

I Have two 8 3/4 rear ends I think, both have the same housing,they unbolt from the front. One is Sure-trac,the other is not, can I just swap the guts out,using new Bering's and seals. ???

Ghoste

The interchangability is not a problem but it is somewhat involved procedure.  You want to get the pinion depth and backlash all properly set and that requires some specialized tools and a lot of patience.

dkn1997

for the purposes of this discussion:

pumpkin= centersection, contains gears, and differential

If you have a sure grip pumpkin, you can simply unbolt it from the one rear and bolt into the rear youwant. just loosten up the nuts on the axle flanges and slide the axles out a bit.

If you want to put a suregrip diff onto a different gear set, then as previousely stated, you have to "set it up"  backlash , pinion depth, whatever it takes.
RECHRGED

tommymac

Thanks thats kind of what wanted to know.just swap out the pumpkin,change seals and mabey berings.does that involve A machine shop.

dkn1997

1st time I did it, I changed nothing.  maybe seals, but stock bearings last forever.  no machine shop unless you plan on swapping in green bearings or something..
RECHRGED

tommymac

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: tommymac on December 24, 2006, 12:29:41 AM
Green berings???

green bearings replace the original axle bearings ,they are sealed type and you dont need to adjust them they are a good deal but as stated before the original ones rarly cause any trouble
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............