News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock chrome valve covers

Started by CHARGERMAN2007_69, April 11, 2007, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARGERMAN2007_69

Has any body had problems with the edelbrock valve covers sealing!!
1971 charger SE 500
1970 charger r/t(clone)
1970 GTX(clone)
1999 Durrango
1997 jeep grand Cherokee
1973 gtx 1 of 117
1996 Dodge ram

tricky lugnuts

I have. Somebody gave some to me for free. They leaked like a seive. (Stamped chrome valve covers) I just could not get them to seal. I also had a problem with the baffle under the oil fill hole. It took me at least a half-hour to pour in five quarts of oil (and I made one heck of a mess). I threw them in the garbage -- that is where they best belonged!!! Haven't had a problem since.

CHARGERMAN2007_69

I just painted my original valve covers the original paint. Im gonna put them on thursday.
1971 charger SE 500
1970 charger r/t(clone)
1970 GTX(clone)
1999 Durrango
1997 jeep grand Cherokee
1973 gtx 1 of 117
1996 Dodge ram

CHARGERMAN2007_69

I think that since edelbrock is pretty much a chevy product maker!
1971 charger SE 500
1970 charger r/t(clone)
1970 GTX(clone)
1999 Durrango
1997 jeep grand Cherokee
1973 gtx 1 of 117
1996 Dodge ram

tricky lugnuts

The original ones will work a lot better, and look a lot better in my opinion. Just make sure your sealing edge is good and flat and not tweaked out of shape by someone who tightened them too much. I'm running some cast aluminum M/Ts -- and they're doing great. Need to clean 'em up with some steel wool, though!

71ChallengeHer

I don't know if this will help. But I had a problem with the tin valve cover leaking on the 93 Daytona. I replaced it every 6 months since the car was new. It was replaced under warranty for the 1st 7 years. I got a gasket from Fel-Pro , kinda pricey $42 at my cost. But it's guaranteed not to leak. And so far, it's not leaking.

whitehatspecial

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on April 11, 2007, 01:03:46 PM
The original ones will work a lot better, and look a lot better in my opinion. Just make sure your sealing edge is good and flat and not tweaked out of shape by someone who tightened them too much. I'm running some cast aluminum M/Ts -- and they're doing great. Need to clean 'em up with some steel wool, though!

:2thumbs: M/T's are awesome.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

tricky lugnuts

I like them too. Nice stiff sealing edge and they look really cool to boot.

CHARGERMAN2007_69

I have some m/t valve covers for a small block
1971 charger SE 500
1970 charger r/t(clone)
1970 GTX(clone)
1999 Durrango
1997 jeep grand Cherokee
1973 gtx 1 of 117
1996 Dodge ram

SuBLimE 69

I was using them with my Eddy heads.   I first used the bolts from Mopar perforamce and did have leaks.  I threw the bolts out and used an ARP vavle cover stud kit.... a rubber gasket with no RTV and that worked fine.  ARP studs for your valve covers is the way to go....try it...I think that'll fix your problem.

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

Chryco Psycho

The problem essentially is with the heads , the valve cover rail is left as cast & is nowhere near flat , steel covers will distort to seal on an uneven surface , cast alum cover will not

Paul G

I have the Mopar Performance cast valve covers in crinkle black. I have replaced the gaskets a couple of times already. My problem is more due to the heat from the exhaust manifolds burning out the gasket. I used a high temp gasket this time. We'll see what happens.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

my73charger

Yes they are hard to get to seal.  I used some of the Right Stuff sealant and was able to get them sealed but when I went to remove them I had to pry them off and bent them all up in the process.  The Right Stuff seals well but it was like a weld it was so tight.  First chance I get I am buying a pair of the Mopar Polished aluminum valve covers.  Right now I have some Summit chrome valve covers and they seem to seal a little better than the Eddy's did.