News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Body Shop Search Is On

Started by scottmiller, December 29, 2006, 10:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmiller

Thought I would give an update on the body shop search.

The car is about 2 weeks into a complete body restoration now.  I settled on a restoration shop just west of Hagerstown Maryland.  So far I can't say enough good things about them.  Their attention to detail and metal fabrication skills are second to none of the other places I looked at.

As is always the case, there were a number of surprises lying underneath 38 years of paint, bondo and rust.  The car is however getting done right and in the end will be a rust free specimen.

I am headed out on Saturday to have a look and takes some pictures of the progress.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Scott

SeattleCharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 07, 2007, 04:19:09 AM
Heres the kinda Garbage I have to work on. Look at that beat up 1/4. Ever see how wavy a Sherman or aftermarket 1/4 is. Look at the holes on that darts roof plus big holes hiding under Bondo, Entire middle of roof pretty much collapsed under a rust hole 3 feet long. Yeah, I skim coated this entire car with less then a gallon of bondo, only lightly blocked once & straight as a arrow, & all in one day, LOL. LEON.

Hello, if you can say briefly, how did you fill the hole in lower quarter behind rear wheel and near valiance?    are you kidding about this?  I have no experience doing filler, have done some sanding, primer filling, painting, but want to do some  body work myself  , thanks,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mikepmcs

speaking from having little expereince as well but i hang out at a body shop all the time. That's strictly metal replacement. You want as little filler as possible.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparguy01

Everyone is so afraid of plastic fillers I cant help but chuckle. There is nothing wrong with using it, its just when you MISUSE it that it becomes an issue. Real bodymen will use a SKIM coat of filler. we dont fill it big dents and we dont fill in rust holes using filler.

BONDO brand filler is complete crap. i dont use the word bondo because i dont want people to think I use crap products on vehicles I do.

the only car i've worked on that had 4 gallons of body filler was a 1980 Corvette. i dont think its too bad there since the whole car is body filler.  :P

SeattleCharger

Quote from: moparguy01 on March 19, 2007, 10:14:31 AM
Everyone is so afraid of plastic fillers I cant help but chuckle. There is nothing wrong with using it, its just when you MISUSE it that it becomes an issue. Real bodymen will use a SKIM coat of filler. we dont fill it big dents and we dont fill in rust holes using filler.

BONDO brand filler is complete crap. i dont use the word bondo because i dont want people to think I use crap products on vehicles I do.

the only car i've worked on that had 4 gallons of body filler was a 1980 Corvette. i dont think its too bad there since the whole car is body filler.  :P

Can anyone direct a thread at me about filling rust holes, don't have big dents, but some sad areas for sure.   I am spending time and money on engine build and getting it on road, want to quick fix the body for now, and the black primer thing, to drive it for a while, then hopefully can do quality body repairs later on down the road,  I know you guys are professionals, but something about patch and bondo,  :icon_smile_blackeye:   See the corners in lower back?  Any suggestions or links for a quick patch job?  (that's my brother's truck and trailer, I don't have that kind of dough)    thanks, Nate

mikepmcs

Nate,

http://www.autobody101.com/

Maybe this could help.  Glad to see you are going to get it on the road :thumbs:

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 19, 2007, 04:14:27 PM
Nate,

http://www.autobody101.com/

Maybe this could help.  Glad to see you are going to get it on the road :thumbs:

v/r
Mike

Thanks Mike, looked that over, sort of covers some things I know, not much on filler there, more priming/sanding threads, heck, I'll just keep reading here.

hemi-hampton

That Dart in Question got a whole new 1/4 panel (sherman) & a whole used rustfree roof (desert valley in arizona) Best to cut all rust out & replace it. LEON.

mikepmcs

Just so you know I haven't forgotten the past.  I'm really glad you are keeping it! :icon_smile_big:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12751.msg147774.html#msg147774

v/r
Mike

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 22, 2007, 07:54:34 PM
Just so you know I haven't forgotten the past.  I'm really glad you are keeping it! :icon_smile_big:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12751.msg147774.html#msg147774

v/r
Mike

I just re read what you wrote there Mike, thanks for writing that back then, and dang man, that is something you remembered that thread and found it, right on.