News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan

Started by Moparbob, March 13, 2009, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hellos,

73 charger 440,, Im looking to use an electric fan. Advance has a 16" fan for under a hundred. I can fab bracket's and wire temp switch but is this fan big enough for the stock Radiator?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Ive got a 26" radiator,, how about two 12's blowing back??
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Bob, why switch to electric ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Moparbob

Well, good question

I have a 26" rad that was in the car. The car was a 340. Anyway if I bolt the rad in (and the holes dont just line up right for some reason) it places the fan to high in the shroud. If I move the rad up the cap hits the hood and I am having to re drill holes to mount it. I thought a pusher fan or two would solve this problem as there is a ton of room up front. 

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on March 14, 2009, 06:39:10 AM
Well, good question

I have a 26" rad that was in the car. The car was a 340. Anyway if I bolt the rad in (and the holes dont just line up right for some reason) it places the fan to high in the shroud. If I move the rad up the cap hits the hood and I am having to re drill holes to mount it. I thought a pusher fan or two would solve this problem as there is a ton of room up front. 

There's allways the option of using a smaller diameter fan to fit the shroud/rad.  ;)  How much interferance is there betweenn the fan and shroud ?

A mechanical fan + shroud is the best deal for a streetcar, inmo.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Moparbob

Morning,

If the fan were centered it would clear fine. I think were hitting the top by about an inch. Today I will move the rad up till it clears and see if the hood closed. Also this is a smaller (not sure what size) fan but it does fit the shroud. I also have an extremely large truck fan that came off this motor when it was in the ram but there is/was no shroud.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Ok,

I moved the rad a little and re drilled some holes so now the fan and shroud clear each other. I was thinking electric for better performance but I bet this will do just fine  :2thumbs:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

flyinlow

I use dual 14 inch fans staggered high/low to make sure all the tubes have airflow. 5800 cfm.  Cools well. I do run the fans in traffic ,even if not required for radiator cooling , just for airflow over the carb and headers.

flyinlow

pic

terrible one

flyinlow,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set of fans cost you and where did you get the setup? Do you have them on all the time, turned on manually, or controlled by a temperature sensor?

flyinlow

Perma cool $125 each at jegs + temp controls/ relays $50.

Run with ignition on and radiator above 160 degrees (adjustable) or if switched on .  relays near positive jumpstart post (trunk mount battery)

20 amp fuse each. Fans pull 10 amps each. Installed 100 amp Jegs alternator (single wire delco $105) at the same time.

You cannot normally hear them in the car so I have a blue led that is on when the fans are operating.

Foreman72

Ron

Ron, just interested, what makes you say that? cuz i was gonna go elec w my fan mostly to gain back the belt drag power...but if u got a better idea :scratchchin:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

terrible one

Quote from: Foreman72 on March 15, 2009, 10:16:15 PM

Ron

Ron, just interested, what makes you say that? cuz i was gonna go elec w my fan mostly to gain back the belt drag power...but if u got a better idea :scratchchin:

I'm wondering the same thing . . . mine will definitely be a street car but I was thinking of going with electrical fan. It would be nice to have the extra bit of power but also I'm not sure what I'll be able to clear with my aluminum radiator. . .

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on March 14, 2009, 04:58:15 PM
Ok,

I moved the rad a little and re drilled some holes so now the fan and shroud clear each other. I was thinking electric for better performance but I bet this will do just fine  :2thumbs:

Good work Bob....simple solution to what seemed a complex problem.  ;)

Yessir, it will work fine !  :2thumbs:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: terrible one on March 15, 2009, 11:37:03 PM
Quote from: Foreman72 on March 15, 2009, 10:16:15 PM

Ron

I'm wondering the same thing . . . mine will definitely be a street car but I was thinking of going with electrical fan. It would be nice to have the extra bit of power but also I'm not sure what I'll be able to clear with my aluminum radiator. . .

With a stock rad the clutch fan & shroud combination is very efficient and pulls a ton of air. Most electric fan setups are not rated as high in terms of CFM and the ones that are pull a lot of Amps which requires an alternator/wiring upgrade.

On an aluminum rad you can get away with an electric fan due to superior cooling and often you've got no choice due to space limitations. I had to install a pusher electric on mine but my preference would have been a clutch fan setup.  :yesnod:

Ron

flyinlow

I think the HP savings claimed by electric fan operators are over rated. I have to generate electricity to power the fans with my alternator. This takes HP. Unless you turn off the alternator field during racing and then recharge the battery after the race is over. Some claim 10-15 Hp savings. I dont think if the fan and waterpump took 15 HP that the fan belt could transmit that much power for long .

The advantage of the electric setup is full airflow with the car at idle in a traffic jam. It also can also be left on after shutdown to cool the radiator and engine compartment. The radiator is also not shrouded while going down the road so the entire surface area gets full airflow.

Foreman72

Quote from: flyinlow on March 17, 2009, 09:19:41 PM
I think the HP savings claimed by electric fan operators are over rated. I have to generate electricity to power the fans with my alternator. This takes HP. Unless you turn off the alternator field during racing and then recharge the battery after the race is over. Some claim 10-15 Hp savings. I dont think if the fan and waterpump took 15 HP that the fan belt could transmit that much power for long .

The advantage of the electric setup is full airflow with the car at idle in a traffic jam. It also can also be left on after shutdown to cool the radiator and engine compartment. The radiator is also not shrouded while going down the road so the entire surface area gets full airflow.

full airflow is what sounds like a plus to me...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

terrible one

Well if I can't fit a clutch fan in there then  is solid > electric still?