News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum waterpump and radiator

Started by cspracer, February 26, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cspracer

How much weight can you save off the front of a car (big block 440) if you go with an aluminum housing, water pump and radiator?

Kern Dog

BSB67

Quote from: cspracer on February 26, 2014, 04:11:04 PM
How much weight can you save off the front of a car (big block 440) if you go with an aluminum housing, water pump and radiator?

The water pump and water pump housing combined are 7.5 lbs.  My aluminum radiator is 8.5 lbs lighter but holds more water so it is about a wash.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cspracer

I will be drag racing this car only, so I want to go with the smallest radiator I can get by, anyone have any suggestions?

Ghoste

Some guys go as small as the 19 inch unit but I would look for a 21 inch three core unless you only race where its typically cool and you have a lot of time between rounds and short waits in the staging lanes.  I'd rather have an extra pound or so of water than have it overheat as I pull to the line.

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cspracer

Thanks so much for the link to the previous post. I had planned to go with the 440 source housing. My dad runs the expensive CSR pump that is all in one. It really looks good, and works well, so I may just bite the bullet and try to save somewhere else. You probably just saved me a few hundred!