News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going To Start Powder Coating This Week

Started by B5 Charger, September 02, 2005, 09:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

Well I finally broke down and bought a powder coating setup.  All of the stuff arrived on Thursday and I am in the process of wiring the 220 outlet for my oven.  Hopefully I will have things up and running by tomorrow night so I can coat something and see if it is really all that everyone makes it out to be.  I will keep you posted if anyone is interested.

Silver R/T

good luck, post some pics of setup when done
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

B5 Charger

I lucked out and found an old oven at a flea market for $35.00..   The bad news is that it took me all week to clean it and repair a few things like the thermostat relay.   All in all with cleaning supplies and everything I only spent about $50.00 total on my oven.   I removed all of the surface burners and trashed them along with the upper element in the oven.   Basically anything that wasn't necessary to bake a powder coated part was taken out and trashed.   I installed six eye-bolts in the top of the oven to hang coated parts from.   I also cut down three pieces of 1/4" steel rod that I can thread through the eye bolts to make my suspension system morer versatile.   I am in the process of coating my brake booster backing plate so I'll post updates as things progress.   I included a pic of my flea market oven.

Silver R/T

cool, ive got oven that I can have for free. only thing is space where to put it, then I can powdercoat anything thatll fit in oven

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

B5 Charger

Here is a pic of the setup I got from Eastwood.  I got the delux Hot Coat kit and 11 different powder color for $196.00 including shipping.  Not too bad in my opinion.

B5 Charger

Here is a before picture of my brake booster backing plate.  I'll post an after pic when I get it coated and cured.

B5 Charger

Here is the finished product after being bead blasted and powder coated with high gloss black. :icon_smile_big:

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

B5 Charger

I'll do anything that will fit in my oven.   ;)

BigBlockSam

nice, gotta put oven on my list for the new garage. thanks for sharing. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

MyMopar

WOW, you can come ove rand clean my oven.  That oven sure looks to be old, maybe as old as your car, no wait, it isn't avacoda green  :sick:

B5 Charger

You should have seen how disgusting that oven was before I cleaned it!  Lots of Easy-Off,  a putty knife and a weeks worth of elbow grease to get that sucker clean.  But hey I couldn't beat the price unless it was free.

MyMopar

A bit off topic (just a bit) but I just got a flyer and Sears Craftsman has come out with its own powder coating system!  Can you believe that, of course it is just a gun and it has no info on the type of powder to use or where to buy it from.

chargermick

I have noticed that most people use an electric oven for powder coating, is there any reason not to use a gas oven? Can anyone guess what type of oven I might be able to get?lol

Troy

Quote from: chargermick on November 16, 2005, 10:52:03 PM
I have noticed that most people use an electric oven for powder coating, is there any reason not to use a gas oven? Can anyone guess what type of oven I might be able to get?lol
Because gas has an open flame and fresh powder coating is flammable. As a matter of fact, you aren't even supposed to use a shop vac to clean up extra powder since the static electricity can ignite it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargermick

cudaken

Have you done any other parts? Looks pretty good in the PIC.

Cuda Ken
I am back

six-tee-nine

well that' a great idea.....

I'm planning to renew my kitchen and i already know what to do with my old oven.......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on November 16, 2005, 11:03:40 PM
Because gas has an open flame and fresh powder coating is flammable. As a matter of fact, you aren't even supposed to use a shop vac to clean up extra powder since the static electricity can ignite it.

Troy

didnt know that, but I wonder how it doesnt ignite when you bake it at 425+ degrees

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 19, 2005, 11:37:52 PM
Quote from: Troy on November 16, 2005, 11:03:40 PM

Troy

didnt know that, but I wonder how it doesnt ignite when you bake it at 425+ degrees
I don't know what powder coating you're baking at 425 but that's a lot higher than most recommend. An open flame or a spark is much different than just making something hot when you're talking about fine powder in the airstream. You know regular cooking flour is flammable too right?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Hey throw in a pizza next time. Wonder what that'd taste like? :P

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

PocketThunder

Can you take the oven doors off two ovens, and put them face to face, insulate the seam, and powder coat a k-frame?    ???
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dodgecharger-fan

You be better off making a double walled oven out of sheetmetal with insulation in between and mounting a couple oven elements in the bottom.

You can make it what ever size you need - without getting too crazy. The bigger the oven, the bigger the elements needed.

I've seen some good plans. I'll see if I can run them down for ya.

dodgecharger-fan

daytonalo

I own and operate  a powdercoat business and I'm also building a hemi daytona clone . My oven is 7 -h 4-w 3-d will fit most parts from car . any color including wrinkle finishes. Using a home oven is fine if you want to powdercoat valve covers your whole life . you also need to vent an oven apx 10% and also circulate the air . I do any part you guys want and will barter . 609-315-2230

dkn1997

Quote from: daytonalo on December 01, 2005, 07:06:27 PM
Using a home oven is fine if you want to powdercoat valve covers your whole life .

I figure only to powder coat  valve covers half of my life.  at that point I will move on to accessory brackets..... ;D 
RECHRGED

daytonalo

Thats fine , if you need any advice I will try to help you .
                                                         Larry

dkn1997

Larry, I hope you know i was just kidding, hence the  ;D
RECHRGED