News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are 71-72 trunk lids the same as 73-74????

Started by nakita7, January 24, 2007, 09:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakita7

I know the quarters and the quarter extensions are totally different. I've always assumed the trunks were the same, although I have never actually switched one. Hotrod was saying that they are not interchangable, the 'spoiler' height is different.

Anyone else ever tried switching one?

superblu72

Dimensions are all the same for 71-74. 71's where the only one's with the cutouts for the spoiler. 2,3,4 didn't because there wasn't an option for a spoiler. 71-72 used the same trunk locks. I believe 3 and 4  used a bigger lock cylinder and consequently a larger whole and indentation where the lock goes. There would be no difference in spoiler heighth from one to another.

RD

the only differences between the 71/72 and 73/74 is twofold:

1) rear wing cutouts on 71's and some 72's, not on 73/74's

2) trunk key mechanisms are different between 71/72's and 73/74's

if there is anything else different then I do not know about it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

twilt

This has been brought up previously. There may be some truth to what you were told.  Even though I have quite a few 3rd Gen decklids, I`ve never compared them or needed to replace one on one of my cars. Heres the old thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10728.0.html

nakita7

OK, so we are getting both answers. Some say yes, some say no (according to this other thread)....

Anyone have a few they can place side by side and compare? They sure look alike, but...

Not 100%, but the spoiler must have been an option for the 72 Rallye. Anyone know?

Nacho-RT74

spoilers in 72... not an option as far I know.

EXACTLY THE SAME ? No.

FIT without probs or mods needed ? Yes.

If you install one on another won't be any problem for a while you keep in mind the right trunk ley cilinder in case of replacement. Not sure about the size hole but sure 71/72 is use a retainer clip like doors ones and 73/74 cilinder is threated to a BIG nut what keeps in place
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jasonfromIKILLYA

I've had several deck lids from several different years and have never seen a difference.  The lids with spoilers just had predrilled holes.  other than that, they are the same.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

CDN72SE

My original '72 SE does have the cutouts for the spoiler.  I was once selling a decklid (I didn't know what year it was) and was told that the hole around the trunk lock was different between 71/72 and 73/74.
1972 Charger SE