News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stainless Steel Trim Fasteners - '68 - '70 Charger

Started by Shakey, January 30, 2007, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

As I get closer to the point in my project where I need to install the vinyl top I realize there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.  I have learned that when the vinyl top is ready to go on, all of the stainless steel trim must go on shortly thereafter.  This includes all of the vinyl top trim as well as the windshield and backglass mouldings.

Recently, I have seen a couple of threads asking questions about the type of fasteners used to hold these reveal mouldings in place.  Since I still have questions as to which fasteners are correct, I have decided to do a bit of research and post my findings for everyone to use with the hope that anyone that can add to this, will surely do so.

Over the past few years I have taken photos of any type of fastener that I have seen on Chargers in salvage yards to ensure that when it comes time to install my stainless steel trim I do it with the proper hardware.

To get things started I have scanned a couple of pages from the 1969 Dodge Parts book. 

The first is an exterior sketch of the '69 Charger with reference numbers pointing to the trim available on the car that year.  The next page is a list showing the reference numbers with the corresponding part number for the trim as well as the part numbers for the appropriate fasteners.  Since I am focusing on the vinyl top and the associated trim, I have not spent any time looking at the other fasteners such as the medallions, grille trim etc.  That can always be added later.  Next, I made a list of the fastener part numbers and sorted them two ways:

1.) Sorted by Reference Number on the Sketch
2.) Sorted by the Fastener Part Number.

I then used some photos and added some text indicating the part number for the trim as well as the part number for the fastener. 

Now I realize that many of the part numbers for the fasteners are either no longer available from Mopar or may have been superseded and I also realize that there are numerous vendors out there selling trim fasteners such as these however, I have seen some of the items for sale and more often than not, I see incorrect items advertised.  I am not stating that I am some sort of expert on these but some of the items I have seen do no look familiar whatsoever.  Perhaps the reference photos I have taken are of cars that have had incorrect fasteners installed before they ended up in the salvage yard, hence this thread!

Here is where we could use your help.  If anyone has any photos of trim fasteners, whether it be ones you purchased or ones you have taken off of your car during your project, please feel free to post them here with a description of what trim they were holding in place.  That way we can figure out exactly what size trim fasteners are needed for each particular application.

I'll post what I have to get things started.

Shakey

Windshield & Backglass Trim

Shakey

Below is a photo of a Windshield Trim set.

There are two types of fasteners used to hold the windshield trim in place.

The larger fastener (# 6001 855) is used on the bottom windshield trim only.  Looks like fiver per side.

The smaller fastener (# 6002 263) is used to hold on all of the other pieces of trim.  This fastener is also used to hold the backglass trim in place.

Shakey

Now, as far as the door trim goes, this is where I might need some help as the manual shows six different fasteners holding that long stainless steel strip in place.

I have included a photo of one I saw on a '68 but I am unsure as to which part number it is.

Shakey

The long stainless steel strip that runs along the sail panel, covering the bottom of the vinyl top has also got me asking a few questions.

Attached are a few photos I have of what I think is the proper fastener holding the end in place, but I am unsure of the other type of clips.

Shakey

The trim under the quarter glass also uses a "J" nut, but I am unsure of what it looks like.  Attached is a photo of the screws.

Shakey

The checkmarks seem pretty straighforward - three nuts holding them in place.  Anyone have a photo of the nut with the seal?

Back N Black

Wow! Shakey,
I'm impressed thats alot of good info you have there and good timing,i was at the body shop on friday and we were trying to figure out where the window clips fit on the back window.
Thanks again

Dennis K

Here's what I have for the trim clips on the top of the door on my 68. There are 7 push-in style clips, with the 3 larger ones being the same and four others that get progressively smaller toward the front of the door, which would account for 5 different part numbers. None of the 68 doors that have seen have the rear trim clip with the nut on the bottom, so that might be something that was added later in 68 or 69, and would account for the 6th part number.

Dennis K

Here's the nut on the check molding, maybe what they mean by "seal" is the white foam gasket around the stud or maybe that they packed the speed nut full of black butyl before they put it on the stud.

Dennis K

and here's the j-nuts for the belt molding under the quarter windows.

Dennis K

And here's what I have for the long stainless steel vinyl top moldings. 3 of the push-in style at the front end of the molding and 2 of the stud/nut style in the rear on each side of the car. The one in the pic with the stud is a new aftermarket part.

Shakey

Hey Dennis - thanks for your input and photos.  They will definitely help myself and others when trying to find the proper fasteners.

Case in point.

There is a seller on e-bay that has a bunch of fastener kits for sale and without knowing exactly what one is looking for, well this could lead to purchasing items that simply don't work.

Attached are two photos.

The first is a vinyl top trim kit, which looks correct to me other than the fact the seals are not included and there looks as though there may be one extra push in type clip.  No big deal.

However, the second photo shows the top of door and quarter trim kit, which doesn't look correct to me.

Any more input is appreciated folks.

Thanks in advance.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great write up Mike :cheers:

That lower kit for the door moldings doesnt look right.  The clips are definaltely like the ones Dennis posted....progressively smaller towards he front.

It is possiblle that the weird looking spring type clips can be made to work for the smaller part of the trim though....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I havn't taken my car apart so can't contribute but was thinking that if a vendor(s) could be identified that have the correct parts and/or kits, it would be nice to know who they are along with their catalog or item/part number.  That way, we could all immediately order the correct fasteners and along with printouts of this thread, have the parts and info we all need to restore our cars.  In fact, that is more or less what I have been doing for some time.  I follow the threads and when there is a concensus on something, I usually order that item right away and check it off my never ending list.   

Corellian Corvette

Shakey - did you every find someone on ebay who had the correct upper door stainless fastners? Going to be getting to this part of my car soon and would like to have the right kit!

Also, I did some searching online and found this place with a pretty good catalog (even has some chrysler number replacements)

http://www.hillcofasteners.com/

Right around page 135 here they have the types of clips show below. No sealer, but a bunch of different sizes. If you could measure the ones you have, you could probably match them up.

http://www.hillcofasteners.com/pdf/05_P81-P150.pdf

If you could give me the measurements I could check as well.

thanks again!

Ghoste

Does anyone have a copy of that B-body fasteners book?  And how accurate is it?

Shakey

bull

Quote from: Shakey on January 30, 2008, 06:17:59 PM

Yo Bull!   :wave:

Oh, hi! Fancy meeting you here. :icon_smile_blackeye: This thread is OCD central. :yesnod: And very helpful. Thanks!

Shakey

Bump to the top for that other guy that was asking about chrome trim.

gasoline_24

I have the B-body fastener book, but did not see anything on these.  I will look again though.  Anyone find a nice kit for the top of door trim?  Has anyone found the foam pieces that are on the originals?  Were these the seals?  If not, what is everyone using to seal the fasteners?

Sweet T

Seal the fastners.....I just got the car back from getting the vinyl top on and for what they charged me they better of sealled them.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

69*F5*SE

bull

Still nothing out there as far as repro J-nuts as far as I can tell. I got a couple used ones but I still email some of these fastener places asking about the possibility of them being reproduced. I'm waiting to hear back from one place as we speak.

Dodge Don

Great thread Mike.

So exactly how many 6002263 clips were used for the rear window?

Any for the front windshield...how many 6002263 and how many 6001855 are needed?

I see the Totally Auto clip set for 68-70 Charger Front Windshield includes 2 short but wide clips that haven't been referenced in this thread...another Totally Auto goof up?