News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A nother Pre Oiling Question! Soory Guys

Started by cudaken, September 04, 2005, 06:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

I pulled the Blower today so I can break in the 440 with a carb. Also need a PCV Vale so I pulled the right M/T vale cover so I did not need to make 3 trip's to O Rellys

Boy I was not happy with what I saw. Rockers where dry as a bone! Dumped oil on the right side and closed it up. Then I pre oiled the 440. Got oil to the lifter easy. Pulled the left oil cap on the vale cover. Rocker that I could see was still dry as a bone?

I used a 18 volt cordless De Walt. Thought that maybe it was dragging to much. Pulled out the Craftsman electric. It was tired from drilling out all the spots weld's when I saved the Charger in 1996. Smoked it with in 30 seconds.

What do I need to do to get oil to the rockers or does the engine need to be spining and rockers for that? This is the first time I have pre oiled a engine. In the good old day's when I bulit my own dumped STP on everthing that moved. Never a failuer on start up. I knew in the back of my mind I should have done it my self. But was worried, been a long time sense I screwd togather a Mopar. Last one was not mine in fact. Rich from Mopar Heaven had me do just it to piss off a custmer he had that neither him or I liked. Newball and I hated each other, long story. Rich had me do is 383 because he told him not to let me touch it. Newball told Rich the 383 in his 68 Runner ran great and thanked him. Rick told him thank Ken, he did the 383! ;D

Well I am rambling again.

Any help on pre oiling?

Cuda Ken
I am back

Rocky

You need to slowly rotate the motor while you are priming the pump.  2 full revolutions to make sure.  A big socket and a breaker bar on the dampner bolt works best.

firefighter3931

:iagree: Wait until you see oil on the rocker arms before firing the motor. The drill will bog down once it picks up prime.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tecmopar

What I have always done is, with the valve covers off have someone crank it over with the starter while spinning the oil pump (counter clockwise) with a strong electric drill. A cordless may not be turning it fast enough (about 600-800 RPM) or more. It won't take long and you should see plenty of oil flowing. I know some guys feel different but I have NEVER started a fresh motor without pre-oiling it as first start up is really hard on the valve train, good luck.

cudaken

So I need to crank the engine and preoil at the same time? Guess it is time to throw the battry in and test out that Mini Stater!

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

You can pre-oil and then stop and turn the engine manually a bit and then pre-oil some more and so on.  It just takes longer.