News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a new flex plate

Started by original72, September 04, 2005, 05:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original72

well i sent off the trans to be rebuilt and beefed up and the torque converter to be rebuilt and restalled.... so i get it all back and am all sorts of happy and planned to drop in the engine and trans Sat..... cause of my perpetual bad luck before bolting the flex plate on the crank i put it up to the supposed rebuilt torque converter and guess what.... it shrank.... guess the place just got a new or different rebuilt one cause the one that came out bolted up to a 11 inch flex plate and the new converter requires a 10 inch flex plate.... for 5/16ths bolts..... so now my question is.... is a MP flex plate part number P4876821 the right flex plate for a 440 with auto trans??? it says up to 91 V8 but id rather make sure at this point..... and i need this thing by friday so i have to have it shipped 3 day express on Tuesday.... thanks in advance for the responses....

Bill

Ghoste

I guess my first question would have to be, did they send you the right converter?

Duey

It's pretty standard for an HP 10" converter to have 7/16" bolts and unless the original flex-plate was dual pattern, must be replaced to hook up properly with the smaller higher stall converter.  FWIW, I got a Turbo Action SFI-rated flex-plate when I got my TA 10" tight convertor (Ron's recommendation, and read about how pleased Doug (SubLime69) is with the converter and new 3.91 gears).

Cheers,
Duey

73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

firefighter3931

Any smallblock flexplate will fit that application. The smallblock and big block have the same bolt pattern on the crank register. The 440's used 12in converters requiring an 11in bolt pattern, everything else used an 11in tq converter requiring a 10in bolt pattern flexplate. Some aftermarket converter companies will weld on bigger lugs so that 7/16in bolts can be used. B&M makes a nice SFI flexplate that is drilled for multiple bolt patterns and bolt sizes if you're looking for additional strength in that area. I'm pretty sure the MP sfi flexplates are 10in pattern but are drilled for 7/16in converter bolts. Do NOT use a 7/16in sized flexplate with 5/16in bolts.....failure will result.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs