News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I just compound or wet-sand and compound on a 76 paint job?

Started by WH23G3G, February 08, 2007, 09:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

On that old 76 Datsun B210 I'm trying to get up for sale, I'm trying to make it shine enough so that I don't have to paint the whole car. The paint is all there, hazy, but no where is oxidized or chipping, except on the actual trunk lid which is removable and can be touched up. I polished the paint with a heavy-cut polish from Meguiars using a adjustable buffer, set on 3 and when I followed with a good wax, the care shined quite well. But areas were still dull. I didn't compound yet. But I've seen and done what compounding can do to an old paint job. I'm thinking it would really shine up with a good compound, polish, and wax. But since this is an original 1976 paint job, should you wet-sand to remove and small scratches and then proceed with the compound, polish, and wax. I remember when I worked as a detailer for a year and a half, they would wet-sand some paint jobs and then proceed with the detail. What would be the best procedure to follow?

hemi-hampton

I would NOT wet sand a older original paint job. One the Factory put on thin & likely to sand through & 2 most likely(99% sure of that) not a Base Clear which is what is mostly seen today. If metallic & no clear bad idea to even rub as you'll be rubbing ontop of the metallics which will then move & blotch, Can be done but lightly. LEON.

bill440rt

:iagree:

Don't take a piece of sandpaper to that car. Sanding & buffing is OK on a newer paint job when you know how thick the paint is. On original paint on any car, I would not sand it. Factory paint jobs are just too thin. And, an older car with oxidized paint here & there is even thinner.

I'd even be careful with a compound that's too abrasive. I'd start with finer polishes & compounds first & work backwards to see which one that is the least aggressive will give the best results. Don't expect a miracle, & don't get too aggressive. Work carefully or else you'll find yourself having to repaint parts of your car.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Arigmaster