News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Noise underneath?

Started by tburns, February 11, 2007, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tburns

I got my '71 just this past December.  A good bit of the time when I accelerate there is a lot of noise underneath the car. I am not the most mechanically inclined and have no idea what it is.  It sounds like it is coming directly from under the middle of the car and is a heavy rattle.  I also have some occasional racket that almost sounds like the exhaust is bouncing around.  The mechanic I took it to for a tuneup said he was not sure but also said old Dodges make lots of noise.  I'm not buying it.  Any idea what it could be???  Hopefully something inexpensive (wishful thinking...).

mikepmcs

Bad Tranny mount?  Loose exhaust or exhaust mounted incorrectly causing it to hit the underside of the vehicle?  U joints?
Have you been under the car and checked all the bolts in the area or try to do a static check by physically trying to move pieces underneath the car with the engine off.  Does it only happen when accelerating, or is the noise present at idle too?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

tburns

Going underneath is next on my schedule but it has been too damn cold, even in Atlanta, to do anything right now.  It does not make noise in idle, only on acceleration.

Chryco Psycho

I agree U joint likely , maybe a trans mount