News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Steering column

Started by ChargerSG, February 17, 2007, 12:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerSG

I just about to buy another 69 Charger(can never get to many :icon_smile_big:) it have been converted to a floorshift, thats just fine but i dont want that steeringcolumnshifter there, can the orginal steering column be coverted to a non shifter stylie, or do i have to change the whole Steering column?
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Chatt69chgr

The PRNDL shiflter casting that goes below the steering wheel can be changed to the correct casting that was used on true floor shifted cars----auto or manual.  So the column will look correct inside the car.  It will still have the automatic shifter bar coming out of the bottom of the column inside the engine compartment which now doesn't go to anything.  I don't know if that piece can be interchanged with floor shifted columns or not-------or you could possibly cut if off and file it flush.  You would still have the slot in the tube.  Don't know how correct you are trying to be.  Floor shifted columns came in two vintages.  One for 4-speed and one for automatics.  The automatic one has a different nylon bearing in the end of the steering column tube and I think it has three screws in it where the 4-speed column has two screws retaining the lower bearing--------at least that is what the guy on ebay says who sells the reproduction lower bearings.

ChargerSG

The owner have put a  manual valve body with B&M 'Hammer Shifter' in it, and the the shifter on the column really destroys the interior look so thats great that i can be coverted. I have to deside if i wanna go for original or do a hotrod if i buy it, its was more there was a easy way that dont cost so much. Thanks for the help.
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166