News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decisions for new exhaust

Started by chgr500, February 10, 2007, 01:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

I am about ready to change my exhaust on my 71 383 Charger with H/P manifolds........from stock to performance style exhaust.........I am not that fond of the flowmasters on the Mopars.......so I am leaning towards this set up......kinda want it loud.

My latest choice is to use Dynomax mufflers on a 2 1/2" exhaust with a X pipe......I also run the OEM style machine gun tips on the back....not sure if these act as a resonator or not....

I have searched some threads to help me decide but.....all input is appreciated before I do my one time exhaust.  Car sits for 8 months of the year.

74340charger

I put a set of dynomax on my 360 and no X pipe, stock manifold, and it really got rid of a lot of noise. I wasn't to happy about that, but it felt peppy. I want to try some cherry bombs next time.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

72pettyblue

The factory exhaust had resonators in front of the tips.  The tips themselves did not serve as resonators.  Check and see if they are still there as they are usually the first things to go in the exhaust.  The dynomax bullets above should do the trick :yesnod:  Get rid of the resonators if they are still there, keep the tips.

moparguy01

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 10, 2007, 02:12:29 PM
these should be loud enough for you.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=700+400358+115&autoview=sku

Dyno Race Bullet

v/r
Mike

This mean you took my advice in the exhaust thread on that gm? haha
what he said, if you want loud, those are your mufflers. if you can actually call them that......

mikepmcs

Haven't purchased them yet but they are at the top of my list for sure!    :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Lifsgrt

chrgr500, I have a 3" TTI kit ($$) with HP manifolds, H-pipe (should've got the X-pipe) with the Dynomax mufflers and 3" stock-ish looking polished stainless tips hooked to my fairly lively 440 with RPM heads- this systems flows fairly well (for manifolds) and is not what I'd call loud.  I didn't want a loud system.  I still have a lot of interior resonance with the straight-out-the-back system, which I could do without.  At idle it sounds like well muffled power.  The system does fit well and is great quality.  The 3" system with Dynomax mufflers weighs about 125 pounds!
There is a company advertising on eBay that has complete, aluminized systems for a lot less, but I don't know the fit or overall quality of these systems.  I believe it's a Canadian business.  Hope it helps.
Best time 11.07@121

hemi-hampton

Lifsgrt, I thought I heard the Dynomax Mufflers greatly reduced interior noise over the Flowmasters? I have Flowmasters with too loud interior noise & was thinking of switching to Dynomax, Sounds like your saying bad choice? What muffler is loud outside car but quite inside car? Anybody have a recommendation? LEON.

Rolling_Thunder

I just ordered my 3" TTI exhaust with dynomax mufflers and all today...      $504.07 (having connections is a great thing)  this will go with my already purchased manifolds (screw headers) - - -   can't wait to get it in...      we put this same system on a 440+6 GTX and i LOVED the sound...        less drone then flowmasters and alot more mellow idle
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

plum500

I have a 71' 383, came with 3" all the way back to some VForce mufflers - with shorty turndowns right after the mufflers. Man. Loud. But when I registered the car it wouldn't pass inspection unless I got tailpipes put right out the back -- I was more than a little green at the time, and wasn't paying attention to the fact that I had 3" all the way back, and the guy at the shop put 2" pipes out the back from the mufflers, replacing the turn downs. :| Live and learn.

Anyhow, long story longer, I just ordered a set of mandrel bent 3" tailpipes to replace the 2"s (not mandrel :|) -- really liked the sound with the turndowns before installing tailpipes, all be it a "bit" loud (car alarms everywhere going off). Hoping these 3" pipes will allow better breathing and give me a happy medium of the sound back, to boot.

No X-pipe though -- someday...

Lifsgrt

No, I'm not saying bad choice, as I think the flow is as about good as it can be with exhaust manifolds and the H-pipe.  I've read guys use turn-down tips to reduce interior resonance.  No complaints with the mufflers.  I think the straight-out 3" setup contributes to the interior resonance.  I wish I would have used some Dynamat on my roof panel when I replaced the headliner.  I did use the stock-type "insulation" with the headliner install, which was pretty much a waste of energy.
Best time 11.07@121