News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Daytona on E Bay (purple one from Kansas)

Started by johntpr, February 17, 2007, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

69_500

Its definately not a factory built car. I'll give you that. Does it have signifigance? YES.

Would I like to own it? yeah, but not as much as I would a 4 speed read Daytona. Would I part with my 500 for it? NO. And you all know I'd part with my 500 for any resemblence of a Daytona, as long as its legit.
Does this car have history? YES, and a lot of it. I have often wondered about when the sunroof was installed. I had never seen the paperwork on the car, to see if it was ordered with the sunroof or was an aftermarket install. Granted either way it was probably done by ASC.

daytonalo

I  think its a great looking car , but 200k ? I think if it sells for 200 k , the new owner threw 125 k out the window

69_500

But yet you think someone would pay $100K+ for a new clone?

daytonalo

69_500

Not a 426 HEMI though, and not a steel plug right?

hemigeno

And with all reproduction parts including a 'glass nose too, right?

vs. a car with genuine Chrysler/Daytona parts except for the plug...

Apples and oranges. 

While I have my opinions about the car's value, it will ALWAYS be worth more than any other clone - Hemi engine or not.

:rotz:

daytonalo

I guess since its a one of three that never was , urban myth, it should bring in 500 k at least .

Troy

Much like anything else - if you don't like the price then don't buy it. Very simple. If it sells then it is worth exactly that much at exactly that time to the individual who buys it. Anyone else's opinion is hot air at that point. If it doesn't sell then the current owner has managed to create a bunch more publicity for the car.

People buy movie cars for ridiculous amounts of money and I can't see the value in that at all since most of them are mangled/slapped together. They have historical significance though. I don't collect sports memorabilia either but people are willing to pay over half a million for a baseball for the same reason. I can clone a baseball but I bet I can't sell it for much. People will spend their own money in any way that makes them happy.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

Your right , we were discussing how much it is worth . When I stroke a check I like to know I will at a minimum break even and not be turned upside down on resale . I never said it was a horrible clone !

nascarxx29

Why wasnt this purple car at Barrett Jackson or Meccum auctions.If its to command a considerable $ number.Wouldnt that have been the time and place to debut it at.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

because BJ is no reserve , separates the men from the boys !!!!!!!!!! And most buyers their are very well educated

Troy

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 18, 2007, 02:21:28 PM
Why wasnt this purple car at Barrett Jackson or Meccum auctions.If its to command a considerable $ number.Wouldnt that have been the time and place to debut it at.
Commission and the "No Reserve" format this year would be my best guesses. Also, you can't just take a car to Barrett Jackson - you have to be approved or invited or whatever the procedure is. They only take high-end examples. I don't know about Mecum but you never see "driver" quality cars or projects there.

As for eBay - you guys should know by now that it's a great advertising tool and many people with rare cars will put them up there with a huge reserve just to gauge the interest/value. The car will likely sell (if it sells at all) in a private transaction to someone who finds out about it through eBay or some other advertising. I seriously doubt if it will sell through eBay. Actually, I would be shocked.

Troy

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on February 18, 2007, 02:33:49 PM
Also, you can't just take a car to Barrett Jackson - you have to be approved or invited or whatever the procedure is. They only take high-end examples.

:scratchchin: I think you better check the results before saying that. Now getting stage time is a different story.  ;)

**Inactive Link Removed**

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Troy

Quote from: Chris G. on February 18, 2007, 03:14:12 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 18, 2007, 02:33:49 PM
Also, you can't just take a car to Barrett Jackson - you have to be approved or invited or whatever the procedure is. They only take high-end examples.

:scratchchin: I think you better check the results before saying that. Now getting stage time is a different story.  ;)

I could go on, but you get the idea.
I should have been more specific...

Troy

Beep Beep Dave

If the purple Daytona can be bought for $100k I am all in!!! :yesnod:
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I almost wish I had the funds to buy the car and return it to stock just to end the controversy.

daytonalo

Ghoste

True enough.  I'd still like to do it though which, I suppose, would mean I was the controversial one if it ever came to pass.

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on February 18, 2007, 02:29:45 PM
because BJ is no reserve , separates the men from the boys !!!!!!!!!!

At face value, you're right.  But just because it "sold" on TV doesn't mean there was real money on the car.

Aero426

As far as the purple '70 Daytona goes, if buyers were drinking the Kool Aid the seller is serving up on this car, it would have sold for big dollars long ago.   The problem is that the story is easy to shoot holes into.  Is it valuable?   Yes.    Has it been a Daytona since the original owner took delivery?  Yes.   Does that make it a real deal Daytona?  Not really.    It is what it is.  The stigma of this car will follow it wherever it goes. 

wingfan

So you believe that the dealer or someone else converted the car, and not the Chrysler factory?

Aero426

Quote from: wingfan on February 19, 2007, 03:29:27 PM
So you believe that the dealer or someone else converted the car, and not the Chrysler factory?

There is no evidence suggesting that the Chrysler factory built the car as a Daytona.   The facts point to Parsons Dodge doing the conversion.   The sales receipt from Parsons Dodge to the customer indicates a "Daytona Conversion Package".   

Winga

Whats it matter!............It's still a wingcar no matter how you slice it, factory, dealer, custom shop, etc............the car has history! it was made in the "day", when you could readily purchase one from a dealer, for some reason,................this person chose too purchase, and outfit this car as they chose......................Its marque in history has been made,.............very much like the green 70 Daytona,.............so live with it.................it's a machine,..............nothing more! :icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

Hmmmm... Something seems really familiar about that writing style there Winga.  Could be there's a common email address involved to...  ;)

I would say welcome to the site, but I don't think this is your first trip here.

:smash: :nono: