News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

June 07 Mopar Action

Started by jonw29, February 23, 2007, 11:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonw29

New Mopar Action features 2 of Tim Wellborn's Daytona's.1 is the Gold HEMI 4 spd the other is a Omaha Orange 440 4 spd.Roger Gibson restorations.Both are top shelf.Jon Wood

69_500

Thanks for posting, but was already mentioned in another thread.

jonw29

I am sorry.Mine just came in the mail today.

Winga

Although not mentioned eariler in the other thread, nor any credit in the magazine(MA).......................the nosecone on the " orange" Daytona is one of Jack Mc Gaughey's,......................basically his "prototype" daytona cone ............as well as the rear window plug,.....................................................there are other "replacement" parts.....................on this car, although the way the article was written, .........one would be lead to beleive just the spare tire/ jacks needed to be "sourced"...............when in actualallity this car was about intact as a bag a potato chips!....................the nose/related parts,...........rear window plug were rotted beyond repair.....................I do find a humours note in the mag acticle,.................that being quote " The orange car, restored for Wellborn, is one of his most recent -and expensive restos. (Gibson) quote/unquote...............................................Although I do recall Roger gibson 's quote while on the phone calling me for parts, for this Daytona,..............."those prices are kinda spensive!...........Tim (Wellborn) is on a budget ya know!...............................................budget? WELLBORN?...............................please! ::) .............(.Roger just trying to put more $$$$$$$$$$$ in his own pocket.)..................ahhhhh,the glitz/glamour of the car/mag stories,............if you only knew the horror stories behind the stories on some of these cars......................don't even get me going on the "Donahue" Daytona, or Former Steve Seigel Daytona..................soon to slither out of Gibsons shop of horrors...................................

Aero426

Tim's nose was the first Daytona cone McGaughey worked on.  He did use Tim's nose as a pattern to make other Daytona noses.  My understanding is he made bottom panels for Tim's nose, not a complete nose.   There was a photo of it in the newsletter a couple of years ago. 

69_500

So he patched the origional nose back together with patch panels? Is that what I'm reading?

I've seen some of Jacks work and it looks very good to me. Granted I'm no body man, never claimed to be, but from what I can see he does very clean work.

Winga

Quote from: 69_500 on February 27, 2007, 05:46:20 PM
So he patched the origional nose back together with patch panels? Is that what I'm reading?

I've seen some of Jacks work and it looks very good to me. Granted I'm no body man, never claimed to be, but from what I can see he does very clean work.

Initially,...............................Roger's (Gibson)intent was to replace the bottom, but that didn't work out, Jack had to make the upper corners of the nose with a slip fit seam edge, so that Gibsons shop could shrink or stretch the cones width to fit the fender/ hood contours,then finish weld in place,........................this was due to the intial confusion unbeknownst to Jack that Gibsons shop was flush fitting the nose and forgot about the "tona" nose seal (duh!)..........so rather than shipping the nose back and forth because Gibson shop couldn't get it right!............this solved the problem.............................................won't even get into the rear plug ,..................would take a novel to explain,................... :pity:

69_500

A well the conveinence of the internet though, as we have more than enough bandwitch to support a novel. So feel free to type away.

tan top

Quote from: 69_500 on February 28, 2007, 05:20:07 PM
A well the conveinence of the internet though, as we have more than enough bandwitch to support a novel. So feel free to type away

:iagree:  :yesnod:  ..................           :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

And I have plenty of free time to read whatever it is it that you wish to type.