News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dormant engine restart.. help!

Started by K9COP, March 08, 2007, 08:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

I've just read the post about the temporary fuel supply, but what else do I need to do before I try to start the 318 in my '68. Do I need to change oil/filter? Do I have to prime anything? It turns over on the crank with a wrench, so hopefully it will run (Ha!). The car is showing 75k miles, the oil is dirty but noty milky, and the fuel lines and tank are shot. The shipper lost the keys, so I have that to contend with too. It was last licensed in 1990...
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

whitehatspecial

Make sure the battery is fully charged or connect a battery charger while attempting to start. I'd remove the coil wire and crank the engine for a couple of 10 second cycles to circulate the oil. Check under the distributor cap for corrosion on the rotor and the cap contacts. You can also pull a plug or two to see what they look like. While the cap is off look, at the points to make sure they are clean (a piece of very fine sandpaper will work well if the are not).
Re-install the cap, connect you fuel supply and see if it fires up. If not verify spark. 
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

pandamarie

I just did this on 3 mopars a guy gave me that had sat in the same spot since 1977 one had sat since 1969.
Pour some light oil like marvel mistery oil down the intake and pull all the plugs and fill the cylinders, let it sit for 3 day then go give it one turn that will let the oil get behind all the valves, let it sit for 3 more days then change your oil and filter and prime the oil system if you dont have a priming tool get one, I belive small blocks use the same one as chevy, once you have pressure crank it over with the plugs outso you dont hydraulic a piston and to get everything moving without any pressure on anything, once your sure all the standing oil is out of the cylinders put the plugs back in and fire it up, its going to take some cranking due to the oil still in the cylinders.
I like using marvel mistery oil for this as it doesnt smoke out your neighbors and is a good penetrating oil. Ive done it with 10 weight oil once and the car smoked for a week every time I started it till all the oil was gone, I drove that car for 200,000 more miles without ever doing anything more than minor tune ups and a water pump replacement, that was a 48 Packard 2 door fastback, If you ever lived in the 29 Palms area of the USMC base you would have seen it flying down the highway at 100 or better. wish I still had that car.