News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Google Earth - aerial photos of the whole world!

Started by 69_se_ron, July 23, 2005, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_se_ron

found a terrific free program on Google's homepage: Google Earth.  

It's aerial photography of the whole world, with most cities having fantastic resolution...you can even see people in some of the coverage.

It also includes a database of parks, waterways, hotels, hospitals, you name it.   You can search by city, address, zip code; pretty neat stuff.

P.S. VainGlory: check out the images of Paris, you can zoom in so close that the Eiffel Tower takes up the whole screen!
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

dodgecharger-fan

That's the keyhole software. I guess google bought them??

It's neat stuff. If it stays free and without watermarks it will come in handy for wireless site surveys.

Silver R/T

ya its cool, it doesnt work on Xp though, not for me anyways
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 23, 2005, 07:48:58 PM
ya its cool, it doesnt work on Xp though, not for me anyways

Uh, works fer me, dude.   ::) ;)

Thanks for the heads up, Ron! :2thumbs:

Man, you could spend hours checking out the info and not even scratch the surface.   :yesnod:

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

69_se_ron

You're welcome, Johnny!

I've had a lot of fun with it, finding landmark places all over the world, pyramids at Giza, Cape Canaveral, Mount Everest, Manhattan Island, South Beach.  Looks like the upgrade package is interactive with GPS, too.

Good stuff for the kid's geography classes, huh?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Telvis

It's not working right for me. The images are blurry. Like when you zoom in too far on a poor quality image. I tried everything. Couldn't get it to work.   :rotz:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Telvis on July 23, 2005, 08:29:09 PM
It's not working right for me. The images are blurry. Like when you zoom in too far on a poor quality image. I tried everything. Couldn't get it to work.   :rotz:

Telvis, it seems like there's definitely spots where there's not as much info availble.

Unfortunately my town is in one of those spots, but much of the surrounding area is well defined and highly detailed.

Ron, yeah, I've started looking for places like that now. :thumbs:

Man, kids have got a lot of cool tools available today. :yesnod:

I was happy when the teacher broke out the overhead projector.    :icon_smile_wink:

Now there's power-point presentations.   ;D

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Telvis

Yep...I though it was cool to have a spirograph!! My son has a PSP game system....he's got it made.

Drache

Is that the one where you could type in someone's home address and see a picture of their house?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69_se_ron

That's it, Drache.  There are a couple of others, Terraserver and AerialAtlas, but this one from Google just blows the others away.  Get into and check it out, you'll be amazed.

Vainglory, Esq.

This is crazy cool!   I can zoom right in on where I am, which is 48* 52' 04.86" N, and 2* 19' 32.50" E, right in the center of Paris.   You can see Madeleine just northwest, Place Vendome to the east, Tuileries to the South and Place de la Concorde next to it, and the Louvre just to the east of them.   Unbelievable!

Drache

anyone know how big that download is? I started but on my dialup I gave up after 30 minutes  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

CFMopar

Works for me on xp too. Ive had it for the past week its pretty cool. Someone try looking up area 51  :icon_smile_evil:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Bluebeast

IS this basically the same thing as when I type in www.google.maps.com and am able to type in an address and see it in satellite form? Or does the google earth get even closer than the google map address allow you too?
1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

golden73

That is pretty cool. It would be awesome if it showed absolutely everywhere though.

I wanted to see my house but it was just a big green patch instead of the actual picture :(

RECHRGD

I gave up on the download.  With my sizzling 24.0 Kpbs dial-up speed it never would have worked well anyway.  I'm going to have to go with a satillite system.  Living out in the boonies has it's disadvantages.
13.53 @ 105.32

Drache

Quote from: RECHRGD on July 24, 2005, 04:08:36 PM
I gave up on the download.   With my sizzling 24.0 Kpbs dial-up speed it never would have worked well anyway.   I'm going to have to go with a satillite system.   Living out in the boonies has it's disadvantages.

I've got the same problem! I live about 2 hours from the closest town... I feel lucky to have a bloody telephone!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Vainglory on July 24, 2005, 10:42:43 AM
This is crazy cool!   I can zoom right in on where I am, which is 48* 52' 04.86" N, and 2* 19' 32.50" E, right in the center of Paris.   You can see Madeleine just northwest, Place Vendome to the east, Tuileries to the South and Place de la Concorde next to it, and the Louvre just to the east of them.   Unbelievable!

Vain, great blog, man! :cheers:

Spent some time going through it, and wow! :punkrocka:

Awesome read and pix! :2thumbs:

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on July 24, 2005, 11:28:17 AM
Works for me on xp too. Ive had it for the past week its pretty cool. Someone try looking up area 51   :icon_smile_evil:

Start here, TM: 37.363237, -116.827273

Lots of interesting stuff to be found if you scan around the immediate area.   :o ;)

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:

Johnny SixPack

Might this be the landing strip?   ???

37.7943949479 -116.767339458

Very interesting! ;D

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: formula_440 on July 24, 2005, 09:09:50 PM
Quote from: Vainglory on July 24, 2005, 10:42:43 AM

Vain, great blog, man! :cheers:

Spent some time going through it, and wow! :punkrocka:

Awesome read and pix! :2thumbs:

Johnny

Why thank you, monseiur. ;D

Charger4404spd

Cool sight Ron. I spent a couple hours playing with that. Too bad the entire globe isnt high resolution. Go to New York, you can see where the Twin Towers were. The shot looks like they had about finished clean up.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charger4404spd on July 25, 2005, 07:05:36 AM
Cool sight Ron. I spent a couple hours playing with that. Too bad the entire globe isnt high resolution. Go to New York, you can see where the Twin Towers were. The shot looks like they had about finished clean up.

I estimate most of those pics in the NY city area to be around mid 2003 due to certain houses in my area not being built yet......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charge It!

MoparYoungGun

tomonty

Quote from: Drache on July 24, 2005, 05:53:24 PM
Quote from: RECHRGD on July 24, 2005, 04:08:36 PM
I gave up on the download.  With my sizzling 24.0 Kpbs dial-up speed it never would have worked well anyway.  I'm going to have to go with a satillite system.  Living out in the boonies has it's disadvantages.

I've got the same problem! I live about 2 hours from the closest town... I feel lucky to have a bloody telephone!

When I downloaded it, it was about 10.5 MB. Which means with 24Kbps, in theory it would take you about 61 minutes to download it. That is if you maintain that speed througout the download which won't always happen.
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

FastbackJon

You can find lots of cool stuff here, I even found a few and have my name on some of them.

http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Chargerguy74

That's insane, now imagine what type of technology the government has
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Troy

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on July 28, 2005, 08:27:39 PM
That's insane, now imagine what type of technology the government has

Who do you think put the satellites there? :P You can find places where they've lowered the resolution and or blocked completely. I'd be willing to bet the government has more recent data as well. It's not all used for secret projects either. There are a lot of scientific uses for being able to compare snapshots in time of different areas. Neat stuff either way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dart3404

I found my house.   :)

FastbackJon

If you look at the white house, the rooftops have been erased, and the capitol building is blurred, and I think some other areas around D.C. too.

My house is blurred, but that's just because I live in a low resolution area.   ;)
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV