News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horizontal wing measurement

Started by Daytona Guy, March 18, 2007, 10:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Horizontal wing measurement – I have three different measurements from three original Daytona horizontal wings. 55 7/16, 57 even and 57 3/8. OK. I am beginning to wonder if there was a fitment issue with how these went on the back of these cars. I am wondering if the machining process of the uprights determined the horizontal length.

Hemigeno – I was wondering what yours measured out to be?   Anyone else have some insight?

Daytona R/T SE

My Janak wing is 57 3/8 . ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4350.0.html

I used a mounting hole template I got from Dave Patik at Performance car graphics and it fit the car perfectly.

BigBlockSam

Quoteused a mounting hole template I got from Dave Patik at Performance car graphics   

i have one of those sets too , that was nice of him to do that  for us. Rene

oh yea , my wing horizontal is 58 inches
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona Guy

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 19, 2007, 11:43:52 AM
Quote  used a mounting hole template I got from Dave Patik at Performance car graphics   

i have one of those sets too , that was nice of him to do that  for us. Rene

oh yea , my wing horizontal is 58 inches

Is that an original wing?

hemigeno

Dane,

I don't have my original wing to where I can put a tape on it.  I did not see it laying around on Saturday when I was up in Michigan, or I could have measured it for you.  57-3/8" sounds about right though.  I know I measured it before, but I think that was on the old board (D-C.com).

Sorry I couldn't be more help right now...   :'(

UFO

BigBlockSam

found this

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona Guy

That is amazing. Now I have four different measurements for the wings horizontal piece. Wonking with these wings for so long, having a 58" wing would make the vertical uprights bow way out at the top, and that would make the base of the wing really be at a slant.

A383Wing

You want the measurement off my Nascar wing?

Bryan

Daytona Guy

Quote from: A383Wing on March 20, 2007, 07:28:18 PM
You want the measurement off my Nascar wing?

Bryan

Hey Bryan good to hear from you. That would be great if you could. I am surprised at how many different measurements I am getting from different wings. Just the horizontal wing.

A383Wing

Exactly 57-1/2" for the horizontal piece on my Nascar wing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Superbird horizontal piece the same part? Wonder how many of those are different also?

Bryan

hemigeno

The 'Bird and Daytona center sections have different part numbers (3571137 and 3412619 respectively), but I couldn't tell you what the differences are, or if they are interchangeable since I've never laid the two parts side-by-side to compare them.  They might swap out, and maybe someone else has done just that.  ???

FJMG

My original daytona wing measures 57-7/16"

Daytona Guy

Now I have 5 different measurements.

I am guessing that maybe the bird horizontal is shorter????? Any bird wing guys out there?

Like I said, I think that each one was cut for fitment on each Daytona. Being an extruded piece they each had to be cut to length. I believe each casting of the uprights get finished/machined and placed on the car then fitted with the horizontal. The two vertical/uprights horizontal meeting point, or butt joint (if that makes sense) surface, is a true 90 degree surface when mounted on the car. In other words the horizontal wing is a true straight cut north/south up/down 90 degree butt joint surface. No sand casting is exactly the same and depending on the machine work - determines the length of the horizontal wing. Dang, I do not know how to write what I am trying to say. This may or may not make sense unless you have had to machine these surfaces. But having so many different horizontal wing lengths makes sense. I have also seen different heights and sizes of the vertical pieces that very from .5 to .25 inches. That is the nature of aluminum. (or the one operating the tape measure.  ;D)