News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header Bolt leaking, Again

Started by NHCharger, July 23, 2005, 08:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

My 71 Charger with a 383, has a set of Hedman Headers. I have water leaking through one bolt  on the drivers side. I sealed it a few years ago but it's starting to leak again. What are you guys using to prevent this problem?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

8WHEELER

There are several thread sealants out there like liquid pipe tape that will work if you let it sit over night so it will dry. My problem was worse I have two of those holes that have Heli coils in them what a pain, the last time I put headers on I used this Mopar sealant that is kind of a purple color that practical seals anything and sure enough it worked, my friend that worked at Chrysler gave me some but I have never seen it for sale from Chrysler.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

also its preferred to use studs instead of bolts to help with leaks, including exhaust leaks too
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

General_01

I just use the black High-Temp silicone sealant.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

Most of the time, I don't put anything on mine.  They haven't leaked yet but sooner or later it'll happen.  When I remember to do it, I just use Loctite.