News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did Superbirds have the road runner (spelled out) emblem on the rear deck lid?

Started by rainbow4jd, January 13, 2016, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

I've got a picture of my Superbird when I first go it and it looks like the deck lid might have been from another car - as in the photo it appears like a B5 blue versus the Corporate Blue.      The prior owner HAS dissassembled it (and put it in a storage garage) but I know he also owned other Road Runners.   It's possible he gave me a regular Road Runner or Satellite deck lid.  (I'ts only been 35 years - so I don't remember)

The heart of my question is....

Dave Patik answered an email to me and said, "the V88 code deleted ALL standard stripes and emblems"    However, my own limited knowledge had been the understanding that the V88 was "transverse tape" delete (the long dust trail).

So... I need to know FROM ANY UNRESTORED BIRD OWNERS - does the decklid have the RR emblem or not?

I have a picture of my Bird with another one in 1984 (that I believe was UNRESTORED) - and that Bird has a road runner emblem on the deck lid.

Can I get some additional input? 

I know Dave is an absolute guru on production details - but I'm wondering if this might be a case of him over extending the V88 code to the emblem when it was just transverse tape stripe delete

Thanks

Steve V

birdsandbees

This is the only way I've ever seen them.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

6bblgt

STANDARD equipment on a '70 Road Runner was a decklid stripe (vinyl decal) with the "road runner" text cut out of it and the standing bird, it was available in black (V8X), white (V8W), gold (V8Y) or "deleted" (V88) the deleted cars received the "road runner" emblems & the standing bird decal.

the fender tags of Lynch Rd. "road runners" were only stamped for cars that received the "V88" (transverse/decklid) stripe delete treatment.

all Superbirds are assembled at Lynch Rd. & all are "V88" as shown above  :scope:

the "dust trail" (V6Y - sport/side/horizontal stripe gold) was OPTIONAL at $15.55 & Not/Available on a Superbird  :cheers:

A383Wing

I have never seen a 'Bird without the "road runner" on the right side of the decklid

odcics2

The "Road Runner" emblem uses pins in the lid, NOT a peel and stick, like later replacement parts.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: odcics2 on January 14, 2016, 05:09:16 AM
The "Road Runner" emblem uses pins in the lid, NOT a peel and stick, like later replacement parts.   :Twocents:

I think you just clarified my communications issue with Dave.   The PIN locations are what I need.  I think when I referred to emblem, he thought I was referring to the transverse stripe DECAL not the words road runner

Makes perfect sense now

odcics2

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 14, 2016, 12:46:30 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on January 14, 2016, 05:09:16 AM

I think you just clarified my communications issue with Dave.   The PIN locations are what I need.  I think when I referred to emblem, he thought I was referring to the transverse stripe DECAL not the words road runner

Makes perfect sense now

You're welcome!   :cheers:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

thehemikid

I have seen a few (but very few) Birds without the "roadrunner" emblem on the lid.  There was one at the resent Aero Reunion, though I wasn't looking for that. Would be an easy mistake for a resto shop that has done RR's and Satellite's but never done a Bird.

The easy fix of the notorious rusting rear trunk inner lip would be to grab a good ~$200 RR/Sat lid.  If the shop had never done a Bird, it would be easy to forget about the 4 holes once swapped.  Once the paint is on & the absence of holes discovered, there's  the worry of drilling through the paint.

The one at the reunion was not this one, & I didn't take a pic of it.  Sorry for the small pic,  having some trouble with my photo bucket at the moment.

Edit: Bucket worky now.

birdsandbees

I'm in a scramble here to pack and be on a pressurized tin can in 12 hours, so if nobody gets you the measurements Rainbow I'll do so in about 2 weeks. My RR emblem is loose and I haven't installed the new pin retainers yet so I can easily pull it back and measure each hole from the edge.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

rainbow4jd

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 14, 2016, 06:13:50 PM
I'm in a scramble here to pack and be on a pressurized tin can in 12 hours, so if nobody gets you the measurements Rainbow I'll do so in about 2 weeks. My RR emblem is loose and I haven't installed the new pin retainers yet so I can easily pull it back and measure each hole from the edge.

THAT IS AWESOME!

There is no immediate rush - I still haven't gotten the emblem yet, so I am good

I travel on business for a living so I know all about packing and big birds

Steve V

62 Max

Another question,were all the 70 trunk lids cut out underneath for the Go Wing spoiler ?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 62 Max on January 15, 2016, 12:21:09 AM
Another question,were all the 70 trunk lids cut out underneath for the Go Wing spoiler ?

I know the answer to that one - courtesy of Dave Patik and an earlier "ask the expert" (from 2012) in the Winged Warriors / NBOA newsletter

The first run of road runner/satellite deck lids did NOT have the cut outs as the GO WING wasn't set to go into production until the 1st of the year 1970.  Now that means - from a manufacturing standpoint - you have to acquire the parts earlier than your release date - so you can figure that as soon as they knew they were going to install GO WINGS they told the vendor or their own stamping to make the running change.     So, there will be an overlap of parts inventory at the plants - stacks with cut outs - stacks without.     Depending on how they brought them up - you could get some cars with, some without, some with, some without UNTIL the old inventory was deleted.   That being said, as a whole.... early ROAD RUNNERS DID NOT HAVE THE CUTOUTS - LATER ONES DID

My general opinion (from working for an auto manufacturer) is the non-Go Wings probably started going into the plants in late July (model year change over takes place in mid-July).   First productions usually start in early August for September dealer deliveries of the new models - for October 1 INTRO DATE.

That brings us to SUPERBIRDS

That means GO-WINGS (the running change) probably started shipping to the plants in September for November build cars for January deliveries.  Thus, its entirely possible that SUPERBIRDS have a mix of deck lids - based on their original build dates (not the November release date)

Since the Superbird production runs were PREDOMINANTLY in the earlier NON-Go Wing production period - that means the NON-Go Wing decks should be the predominant ones, but not necessarily a cut and dried - this date - exclusive.     

thehemikid

rainbow4jd,...I know that in your OP you were asking for,...

"""So... I need to know FROM ANY UNRESTORED BIRD OWNERS - does the decklid have the RR emblem or not?

I have a picture of my Bird with another one in 1984 (that I believe was UNRESTORED) - and that Bird has a road runner emblem on the deck lid.

Can I get some additional input?"""

But you also asked for some additional input.  I have a trunk lid off a Bird that had unfinished body work and some primer on the sides of the quarters, doors & fenders only, done in the mid 70's.

You don't have to except these dimensions as correct, you may want to wait for "birdsandbees" or others who may chim in from other unrestored lids before you make your decision.  Also you may want to use the emblems (that your waiting on to arrive) other 3 pins to layout there holes in case of slight pin variations from emblem to emblem.  I didn't catch if you have a NOS or repo emblem coming.

rough over view

1st hole from right trunk edge

camera aligned for 2nd hole

aligned for 3rd

and last

Holes appear to be 1&1/2" down from the point where the body lines radius bend meets the flat of the vertical section.

I lifted the tape up to let the outdoor light reflect on the radius to show that point.

Well, that's my additional input.

If you decide to take this mission,....good luck,....and this tape will destruct in 5 seconds.  :lol:

rainbow4jd

Quote from: thehemikid on January 16, 2016, 05:01:00 PM
rainbow4jd,...I know that in your OP you were asking for,...

"""So... I need to know FROM ANY UNRESTORED BIRD OWNERS - does the decklid have the RR emblem or not?

Can I get some additional input?"""

But you also asked for some additional input.  I have a trunk lid off a Bird that had unfinished body work and some primer on the sides of the quarters, doors & fenders only, done in the mid 70's.

You don't have to except these dimensions as correct, you may want to wait for "birdsandbees" or others who may chim in from other unrestored lids before you make your decision.  Also you may want to use the emblems (that your waiting on to arrive) other 3 pins to layout there holes in case of slight pin variations from emblem to emblem.  I didn't catch if you have a NOS or repo emblem coming.

rough over view

1st hole from right trunk edge

camera aligned for 2nd hole

aligned for 3rd

and last

Holes appear to be 1&1/2" down from the point where the body lines radius bend meets the flat of the vertical section.

I lifted the tape up to let the outdoor light reflect on the radius to show that point.

Well, that's my additional input.

If you decide to take this mission,....good luck,....and this tape will destruct in 5 seconds.  :lol:

Thanks a ton!  I understand it will be an NOS emblem - and I'll get several measurements I hope (and then I'll post them for everyone).   BUT THANKS for your great pics!

rainbow4jd