News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problem with my alt/battery charging system

Started by TheGhost, March 25, 2007, 06:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

Bought a brand new battery last month.  Problem is, it's almost dead already.  Had the battery checked twice, both times was told that the battery was a good battery, and that the problem is with my car.  Great.  Checked the alternator, and it's reading just like it should.  We checked the battery while my car was idling, and again as I was revving it, and the read stayed the same at around 13.2.  So my battery isn't being recharged.  However, the gauge in my dash is reading that the battery is recharging.  Frankly, I have no idea what the problem is.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

70charger_boy

check your car at night.  I had a problem like this with my fury and found out that my brake light would stay on all day killing my battery.

TheGhost

We checked the battery while the car was turned off, there was no drain, so it's not that problem.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

resq302

13.2 is charging the battery.  Might be that your voltage regulator is not putting out enough but just the bare minimum.  If you are running points, you might need to adjust the regulator.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

13.2v @ idle is not enough to charge....should be at least 13.8 minimum.
Alternator is on its way out....get it checked/replaced
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

71_deputy

Ghost- you probley already heard this- check the grounds, battery, rad support and clean ground behind the voltage reg to firewall- clean and tight.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

TheGhost

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 26, 2007, 06:55:51 AM
13.2v @ idle is not enough to charge....should be at least 13.8 minimum.
Alternator is on its way out....get it checked/replaced

Had the alternator checked, it's still good, so it's a problem in between somewhere.

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: resq302 on March 25, 2007, 08:21:26 PM
13.2 is charging the battery.  Might be that your voltage regulator is not putting out enough but just the bare minimum.  If you are running points, you might need to adjust the regulator.

It very well could be your Voltage regulator. You can test it with a voltmeter. When your Charging system is working properly, you should have between 13.8-14.7  volts. Your volt meter will read anywhere between this if your voltage regulator is working properly. Hopefull it is that simple. A new one is around $13 at Advance Discount.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

resq302

I appologise, I confused charging with the lights on 12.8-13.8 with charging with the lights of 13.8-14.8.  Like previously said, could be a dirty ground or that the voltage regulator is going bad.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto