News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drip rail moulding install

Started by toqwik, December 19, 2006, 10:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

Ok, what is your secret for installing drip rail mouldings on a 68 Charger.  I wanna learn from your mistakes, tired of learning from mine  :yesnod: :yesnod:

Drop Top

It installs from the top side and clips down around the bottom side. I use a small rubber hammer. DO NOT hammer in the middle of the trim. Tap it on the bottom side of the trim. Work from one end to the other. Make shure its lined up right before you start. If you have a vinal top. The trim needs to go over the vinal. Trim the vinal off that over laps the drip rail first. Leave just enough vinal to put the trim on top of. This will help to keep the moisture out from underneath.

Doc74

Little add on, if you don't have a top, spray the inside of the drip rail with cavity wax. You're bound to chip the rail it clips on and it keeps it covered and protected. Use plenty to cover the edge without making a huge mess. It cleans of with a paint degreaser.
This goes for all trim touching paint, even side marker trim and the charger emblem on the back. Just brush a thin layer on, bolt it tight and it's safe altough there a very thin gasket would be better...if you have the patience to cut THAT out  :icon_smile_big:

mikepmcs

Does anyone have a close up of what the drip rail molding looks like where it comes down the roof and meets the little corner curved piece for the rear quarter glass or can you please direct me to that thread?  I've searched here but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  Mine is a hack job and not sure what is supposed to look like. 

Thank you

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shakey

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 28, 2007, 05:28:44 PM
Does anyone have a close up of what the drip rail molding looks like where it comes down the roof and meets the little corner curved piece for the rear quarter glass or can you please direct me to that thread?  I've searched here but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  Mine is a hack job and not sure what is supposed to look like. 

Thank you

v/r
Mike

Check this link out.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23879.0.html

I think the photo you are looking for is in here.

If not, let me know as I have plenty of other photos and may have the one you need.

mikepmcs

Mike,
Thank you so much.  In this picture(the closest one to what I'm looking for)...  It appears that the long drip molding goes over(vice under) the curved corner molding.  Is that correct?  If it is, that explains a lot.  The PO put it the opposite way.  Long drip rail under the corner molding(looks really poor).  If this is true, I'm going to need new drip moldings for sure.  My car is just a driver but this really looks bad IMO.

What the heck do you crimp the molding down with to make it stick once you snap it into place?

Thanks for your time as always.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shakey

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 28, 2007, 07:33:22 PM
Mike,
Thank you so much.  In this picture(the closest one to what I'm looking for)...  It appears that the long drip molding goes over(vice under) the curved corner molding.  Is that correct?  If it is, that explains a lot.  The PO put it the opposite way.  Long drip rail under the corner molding(looks really poor).  If this is true, I'm going to need new drip moldings for sure.  My car is just a driver but this really looks bad IMO.

What the heck do you crimp the molding down with to make it stick once you snap it into place?

Thanks for your time as always.

v/r
Mike

You know Mike, I'm not 100% sure but I think you are right.  I'll have to take a closer look at the J shaped trim piece the next time I am out at the farm.  I am gonna guess that the drip rail moulding slides into the top portion of the J shapped trim.  As far as it sticking on the drip rail, when the fella took a set off of a car at a yard in AZ, he used a bottle opener and gently pryed it upwards.

In the meantime, I'll look for another photo that may show it better.