News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can this be fixed?

Started by SoCal Zo (.)(.), April 03, 2007, 12:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should it be repaired or replaced?

Repair
1 (8.3%)
Replace
11 (91.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

HITMAN 149

WELCOME TO TRAVIS'S CHARGERS R' US!!!!!!!!!!   :coolgleamA:  lol

YEA I KNOW IT SOUNDS DISCOURAGING.... BUT STICK IN THEIR KID!!
i searched day in and day out..... for at least 8-10 months before i found my 68 r/t (ebay). also don't be impatient or impetuous!!! it'll pay off in the end!!!!!!!!!! you should have seen what i saw for close to what i got mine for ( a real R/T)!!!!!!!!!
good luck!!!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

70charger_boy

Alright, I know most of you ignore me, but listen to this.  Don't buy that car.  It looks like a luedtke auto group piece of junk.  The primer on the car is there for a reason.  They sprayed it to hide all the rust.  I'm not sure of your skills, but that car is going to require alot of work and alot of money.  I have a 70 that I bought thinking that it wouldn't need that much work to getting her on the road and I already spend close to 12 grand on a 318 charger.  I was desperate.  If I were you I would save up, don't be desperate and look at the cars for sale section on this site.  You'll be amazed at the great deals that pop up!!

terrible one

If you have already bought the car, I would either re-sell it or part it out. With that much rust, you know there's more hiding. And that frame rail looks terrible. As others have said, it can be fixed, but I think it would be a better idea to start out with a more solid specimen.

Silver R/T

Id probably wouldnt tackle it unless someone's paying me big bucks. You definitely looking at major work replacing all the rusted out unibody frame
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 03, 2007, 04:07:44 PM
That looks like a 69 with a 70 front clip. Still has the headlight vacuum reservoir too.

definitelly 70... 70 cluster, 70 steering column, 70 seats, 70 tail panel and trim.

back to topic.

Anything is fixable if you have some or ALL these factors: patiente, passion, money, time.

Is your choose, If you don't have another option I would fix. If you have another option, just pass over and wait... or buy for parts to another better project.

I think you can get both 500s ( the one you posted and Travis one ) and get a Nice one between both, and PROBABLY still will be on right numbers, specially if you think you will get spare parts to storage or for sale and get money back.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

konigcharger

HMMM....
this

or this...

i'll take no 2 please

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Mike DC

I'm gonna be harsh as hell, but I'm really just trying to help you in the big scheme of things.

The car needs major-league frame & body work.  (And so do MOST Chargers that aren't already restored into $20-30K cars these days.)

Is the car in the pics fixable?  Yes.  Lots of Chargers have been fixed after getting rusted just as badly as the one you're considering.  And lots of their owners either did their own bodywork, or spent a TON more $$$ than the car was worth before it was roadworthy again.  (Sometimes both.) 
-----------------------------------------------

Notice that I said "BEFORE  it was roadworthy" in the sentence above . . . that's a very important detail.  If you have to tear a car down to the frame like that, you'll find yourself doing ALL the major bodywork on it at once, not in pieces over time:

--  So the car needs areas replaced on the subframe rails to make it solid again.  Okay.  That's a manageable issue.

But can you safely & practically weld a solid framerail onto a rusted-out trunkfloor?  No. 
In this case, you basically have to do the trunkfloor at the same time you do the subframe rail. 

But you also won't want to do the trunkfloor separately from the trunkfloor's side extensions.  Both of which are welded to the car's rear wheelhousings . . . Looks like now the job has grown to framerails, trunkfloors, and wheelhousings!  All this just to make the car driveable again!

But, we're still not done yet:
It's impractical to do wheelhousing work when the outer housings have still got the original rusty quarter panels blocking access to them.  (And besides, those rusty trunkfloor extensions were also attached to the quarters anyway) . . .

So now we've decided that it only makes sense to do the quarter skins at the same time too.  And the front edges of the replacement quarter panels attach to the rocker panels, which are likely to have rust issues too . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, the smartest move by far would be to save up cash and buy a complete & solid car to start with.  (Even if that means you might have to spend $10-15K on the initial purchase.)  It's not easy advice to take, but it's the truth.  You can buy the car above, but you'll still spend at least the same $10-15K before you get to start cruising a 1970 Charger around town.

There's nothing wrong with restoring the car in the pics.  It's conmplete & it's totally fixable.  If it were a $3200 car being sold to a guy who does metalwork for living, it wouldn't even be half bad.  But no matter who gets it, it's not gonna be very safe/practical to drive that car one mile on a public road until it's had many thousands of dollars invested into it.  And time?  Many hundreds of hours of labor if you're a pro and the car doesn't have to be perfect.  If you're an amateur, it'll take several thousand hours.

mikepmcs

very well :2thumbs: said Mike!!

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BlueSS454

I agree 100% with Mike on this.  That car needs major reconstruction work and needs to be done in one shot.  That car is pretty bad, but it's not as bad as my 69 was, which I just painted after 18 months of major sheetmetal repair & replacing, and bodywork.  From what I saw in the pics, all the sheetmetal that needs to be replaced should be available with exception to the fenders.  On my 69, I pretty much replaced the whole ass end of the car except the frame rails, which I was debating on doing, from the rockers back, is new metal.
If you intend on pursuing this car, my suggestion is to tear it all the way down to a bare shell and put it on a rotisserie, it makes life much easier when doing this type of work.  I have about 500 or so pics of my restoration in various stages of being ripped apart.  Check some of them out below at this link:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v249/BlueSS454/69%20Charger/
Tom Rightler