News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

learical's SuperBird pix

Started by learical1, April 04, 2007, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

anyone seen the black bird with the gold accents???  i am sure thats a car i saw in kingston new york cerca 1988 ??? 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

baltimore '80 meet was one of the only ones we've been to without the car...

i remember almost nothing of the meet, but I do remember the club raffle.  Monroe used the kids to pick out the raffle tickets, and one of the last ones to be picked was for a blue dodge shirt with red lettering.  I pulled my own ticket--and i still have the shirt. 

I also remember not getting out of the elevator at the smithsonian museum of natural history, and that if the doors closed, i would never see my family again.  fortunately, my uncle noticed, and stuck his arm in to stop the doors from closing.  disaster was averted. 

i was 4 at the time ;)

nascarxx29

Great pictures thanks for sharing .I havent seen Gary lazar 426 superbird ragtop in sometime .
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

learical1

Quote from: pettybird on September 19, 2007, 02:52:08 PM
baltimore '80 meet was one of the only ones we've been to without the car...

i remember almost nothing of the meet, but I do remember the club raffle.  Monroe used the kids to pick out the raffle tickets, and one of the last ones to be picked was for a blue dodge shirt with red lettering.  I pulled my own ticket--and i still have the shirt. 

I also remember not getting out of the elevator at the smithsonian museum of natural history, and that if the doors closed, i would never see my family again.  fortunately, my uncle noticed, and stuck his arm in to stop the doors from closing.  disaster was averted. 

i was 4 at the time ;)
Actually, Baltimore 1980 was a Winged Warrior meet, not a DSAC meet.  Hosts that year were Chick & Sharon Schiesser.
Bruce

pettybird

blast!  my four-year-old memory fails me again!

i could have sworn it was monroe, but i'll defer to someone who was an adult at the time  :lol:

moparstuart

when did the two clubs form???  then split ???? history  ?

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on September 20, 2007, 02:56:35 PM
blast!  my four-year-old memory fails me again!

i could have sworn it was monroe, but i'll defer to someone who was an adult at the time  :lol:

Monroe wasn't there.  Baltimore was a Winged Warriors meet.    DSAC did Milwaukee that year in July. 

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on September 20, 2007, 03:52:28 PM
  when did the two clubs form???  then split ???? history  ?

There were four clubs originally, that found each other all about the same time in 1975.   

Les Bowman loosely started the Plymouth Superbird Club in Ohio in 1972.  I don't know that there was any kind of a newsletter til later.
Jim Radke and Joe Machado started Winged Warriors Limited in 1975, which was an outgrowth of a local Road Runner club.
Monroe Schellinger (my dad) started Superbirds of America (now DSAC)  in spring of 1975.
Tony Waters in Tennesee had the Superbird & Daytona Enthusiasts of America. 

After discovering who each other was,  Ken Langford, an enthusiast in Alabama proposed a meet at Talladega for the fall 1975 race.    And that was the first "real" national meet of any kind.   All the principals above were there at the first meet and there were 22 cars.  I was 13 at the time, and it was quite an event.    The event was repeated in 1976 with 52 cars showing up.

Sometime, thereafter it was proposed to try and get consolidate the groups, possible under one umbrella.   By 1977,  Tony's club was folded into Winged Warriors, and Les's group was folded into Superbird of America, and renamed as Daytona Superbird Auto Club.    The '77 meet was in Ann Arbor Michigan with close to 80 cars showing up.     

In that period of 1977, there were some discussions, mostly by mail with Radke to get the two remaining groups together, but things were never really close, even down to what the group would be called.    What all the particulars I don't remember, but there was a fair amount of disagreement and some bad feelings, at least on my dad's part.   I still send Jim Radke a comp newsletter, and I'll make it clear that Id never say he is a bad guy, because he isn't.  Things just didn't work out.   

Anyway, the two groups have been functioning independently since that time and there has never been any discussion to get the two groups under one roof since the late '70's.

learical1

Quote from: pettybird on September 20, 2007, 02:56:35 PM
i'll defer to someone who was an adult at the time  :lol:

I may have been 24 at the time, but I was hardly an adult.   :icon_smile_tongue:

Mrs Learical tells me I'm still not one.  :slap:  (that the mrs on the left and me on the right)
Bruce

learical1

BTW, pettybird, Mrs Learical is from Cleveland, and we try to visit every year.  May have to look you up next summer.
Bruce

learical1

You made be break out the Official 1980 Baltimore Meet photo  album.  In the giant group shot, there's a light haired kid on a man's shoulders in the back row.  The man has dark hair and a full mustache.  He appears to be taller than anyone else in the back row.  Is it you on your dad's (or uncle's) shoulders?  (and I was so much thinner 27 years ago!)
Bruce

learical1

Quote from: moparstuart on September 19, 2007, 01:29:33 PM
  anyone seen the black bird with the gold accents???  i am sure thats a car i saw in kingston new york cerca 1988 ??? 
Kenny Brackett's car at the time.  There was additional gold trim on the roof (as I recall, no vinyl top.)
Bruce

moparstuart

i have pictures of what i think is that car in new york  i will have to ask kenny about it

thanks

moparstuart

doug thanks for the history lesson being a relitively new comer to the wingcars clubs( last ten years) it's nice to know some history .
  I was not trying to sir up any hard feeling.  I feel both clubs and you do a great service to us and our cars .

moparchris

Bruce,
Those pictures bring back many memories.  Some of those were the first Az. Mopar meet at Fountain Hills.  I have pictures also of all the wing cars in attendance.  If I had a scanner I'd post my old pictures also.  I remeber my 68 hemi Charger wouldn't start for that Fountain Hills meet because I fried the points the night before.  thanks for sharing!! :cheers:

pettybird

Quote from: learical1 on September 21, 2007, 12:35:25 AM
You made be break out the Official 1980 Baltimore Meet photo  album.  In the giant group shot, there's a light haired kid on a man's shoulders in the back row.  The man has dark hair and a full mustache.  He appears to be taller than anyone else in the back row.  Is it you on your dad's (or uncle's) shoulders?  (and I was so much thinner 27 years ago!)

lol almost certainly--dad was 6'5/280 at the time, and I was a poster child for the hitler youth.  he told mom i was a product of the mailman.  i'm no longer svelte, either, and sadly i have brown hair...  can you tell if i'm wearing a blue shirt?

i'll have to look for that photo, too.  dad kept a pile of the meet info, including a lot of correspondence from DSAC members for the ann arbor meets he worked on.

doug, would you like copies of that stuff, or do you have enough floating around home?  figure 200-300 documents.  orders for the jo-han model superbird kits (under $2 a piece!!!) confirmation letters from members for race tickets, correspondence with hotel people, MIS people, etc.

and hey did we go to that milwaukee meet?  i'd have to look for that, too.  we're getting slides transferred over to CD right now, and I know some of them are up there, but i don't know which year.  i'll have to see if the boxes are labeled well.  i'll definitely post those when they get back. 

learical, where in cleveland?  we're in brooklyn/near west side.  stop by in warm weather and we'll break the cars out for ya!

learical1

Quote from: pettybird on September 23, 2007, 12:13:18 AM
Quote from: learical1 on September 21, 2007, 12:35:25 AM

lol almost certainly--dad was 6'5/280 at the time, and I was a poster child for the hitler youth.  he told mom i was a product of the mailman.  i'm no longer svelte, either, and sadly i have brown hair...  can you tell if i'm wearing a blue shirt?

learical, where in cleveland?  we're in brooklyn/near west side.  stop by in warm weather and we'll break the cars out for ya!

It looks like a blue shirt to me.

My wife is from a large family (8 kids), and she grew up on the west side, living in a huge 3 story house right on Clifton Blvd (in Cleveland, not Lakewood.)  However, with the passing of my father-in-law, my mother-in-law sold the house earlier this year.  She now lives in Avon, but we didn't visit this year; Mom flew out here to Phoenix.  I do have a few sisters-in-law, one still in west Cleveland, one in Parma, and one in Rocky River, so I'll be near Brooklyn for sure.  My kids have never seen a winged car in person, and my oldest (17 year old son) still asks me why I sold them all off instead of saving them for him. ('Cause I hadn't even met your mother yet, let alone thought about having offspring!)We're usually out around mid-summer, depending upon when the rest of the Zimmerman clan plan their vacations.  We try for 4th of July, but I have a sister-in-law that likes to attend Bay Days when she's visiting, so we have to hammer out visitation rights (Mom's new condo doesn't quite hold as many people as the old 3 story house.)
Bruce

pettybird

well, keep me in mind.  give some notice and we can spend an evening at a car show--there's one just about every day of the week.  there's an EXCELLENT one in sheffield (just west of avon) on sundays. 

except when it snows.  and that's coming way too quickly.