News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about 440's

Started by glenh2nd, April 12, 2007, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenh2nd

Can you guys tell me the difference between a car 440 and a motorhome 440? I have heard only the cam is different? I am looking for a replacement 440 for a 72 charger and was wondering if I could just use one out of a motorhome since they are easier to find.

Glen
Glen Howlett
Razzari Dodge Chrysler
1605 Auto Center Drive
Merced, Ca. 95340
(888) 523-7102
www.razzari.com
ghowlett@razzari.com

tricky lugnuts

different cams, different exhaust manifolds, different cylinder heads (I believe). They are low compression engines, I'm pretty sure, built more for low end torque. But I'm pretty darn sure you could use one if you wanted to -- or rebuild it to better suit your application. A lot of the difference in application might have to do with the difference in  years, i.e. a 78 motorhome or 79 motorhome compared to a 74 motorhome. Might need different brackets and pulleys, too.

glenh2nd

OK, thank you. What we have is a trashed 72 440 out of this charger so we want a nice block to rebuild. We already have heads, headers and cams.

Glen
Glen Howlett
Razzari Dodge Chrysler
1605 Auto Center Drive
Merced, Ca. 95340
(888) 523-7102
www.razzari.com
ghowlett@razzari.com

Chryco Psycho

lighter motorhomes use the same basic engine , differnet cams & exhaust manifolds etc
the big motor homes use a lot of different parts , differnt heads & exhaust , as well as a bigger water pump mounted higher with ports directly into the heads , the short block can still be used with conventioal heads , intake water pump etc