News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Purchasing new compressor and sandblaster...any ideas

Started by 1970dodgecharger, April 21, 2007, 10:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970dodgecharger

Hi guys....  the sandblasters I am looking at advise you to by a 5 hp or more compressor.  I can get a deal on one right now that is a 6 hp with a 30 gallon tank.  I was just wondering if you think I will be able to sandblast with it even if it is in small bursts.  Also the tank has a max. pressure of 155 psi but also has a dial to control the pressure to the gun.  What pressure do most people spray primer/paint at?  Also one last question....What is the largest hp and tank size unit on the market right now that runs on regular hydro
not 220 volt?  22o is just not an option for me right now.  Any ideas or suggestions on this topic would be great.....educate me        THANKS  ALLAN     :scratchchin:

Silver R/T

you need to go with 220V unit to do any serious bodywork especially running sandblaster. Ive got 7hp 60 gallon Kobalt compressor from Lowes. I suggest you to get one like that for your needs.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=134819-48540-K7060HFV&lpage=none
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MorePwr

I'm confused... by "regular hydro" do you mean 110v? and if so, I don't think your 6hp compressor is going to run on 110v.. not sure though  :shruggy:

I haven't found any tools that my 6hp two stage 60gal. cant keep up with, but it is 220v. I would steer away from oilless or "fish pump" compressors. they recover very slowly. not good for high volume tools like sand blasters and sanders. unless you really don't mind short bursts.. because your work time will be far less than time waiting for the compressor to catch back up.

the important thing to look for when purchasing a compressor isn't so much the pressure(I think all home compressors are regulated the same 110psi shutoff and 150psi blowoff) it's more the rate the head can pressurize the tank and keep it pressurised when you're using it.

there's my :Twocents: on compressors. somebody els will have to chime in on paint question.

ps; sorry silver. too slow typing. I agree with Silver he is right about 220v

Silver R/T

my compressor is rated at 13.3cfm at 90psi. This is enough to do most of the body work and paint job. You really dont want to go lower than 10cfm @ 90psi. Also try to get biggest tank you can like 60-80 gallon
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Doright

When your shoping for a aircompressor watch the CFM ratings at 90 psi they will vary, try to buy the one with the Highest cfm rateing all will have good rateings at 175 psi but all will be low at 90 psi wich is were most work is done.
I forget what mine was rated at but it wasnt the best and wasnt the worst, mine is a Camble house feild. I have two of them.
They are both up right 80-90 gal tanks on 220v
When I tride doing a car with the little 110v 5hp air compressors all I did was burn them up. went threw 3 of them Man at store was like what are you doing to thease things???

If you need 220v make an extrension cord from your wifes Dryer outlet  :D thats what i used too do before I got my shop.

Buy the way you will probably only get away with one paint job at the house if its an attached garage too the house :D 
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

FJMG

Be carefull with the hp ratings on the electric motors. My electrician explained this to me when I told him of 110v/5hp electric motors; 1 hp requires 745 watts, a standard 15 amp circuit breaker (on 110v) can only handle 1650 watts total (VxA=W), but are designed to operate at 80% cont. or 1320 watts, which translates to 1.8 hp. Keep in mind that most electric motors require 2-3 times that at startup (momentarily) and the breaker still won't pop, any longer than few seconds and it will. So either 5 hp refers to the peak hp, 1.8 x 3 = 5.4(for a fraction of a second) or hp available with a larger breaker (and subsequently larger wire size) which is not common in the household. Also note that some electric motors can be switched between 110 and 220 quite easily (this is usually stated on the electrical data plate on the motor). this can translate to; 220 x 20amp x .8/745 = 4.7 hp.
   Sorrry about the long post, but this stuff is important to avoid fires so talk to your electrician!!!

1970dodgecharger

It was a 6 hp 30 gallon tank and it ran on 110 v.  That idea about the extension cord form the dryer outlet sounds good.  I bet it is expensive to get a long 220 v extension cord.  We switched to a gas dryer and the outlet is doing nothing anyway.  Thanks  Allan