News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

N.O. area nursing home workers charged in deaths of elderly

Started by bull, September 13, 2005, 09:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

"The death toll climbed by more than half in a single day to 423, including last week's grisly discovery of 34 dead patients and staff members at St. Rita's nursing home in the town of Chalmette in hard-hit St. Bernard Parish.

Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti charged the husband-and-wife owners of St. Rita's with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not doing more to save their elderly patients. The case represents the first major prosecution to come out of the hurricane.

"The pathetic thing in this case was that they were asked if they wanted to move them and they did not," Foti said. "They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these people."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-13-katrina-new-orleans_x.htm?csp=24

I was wondering if these people were going to get nailed after I heard about the large group of elderly people found dead in their nursing home. Sensless stupidity on the part of the owners. Makes me wonder what else went on at that place knowing how much abuse goes on at nursing homes these days.

Rocky

Quote from: bull on September 13, 2005, 09:19:30 PM
Sensless stupidity on the part of the owners. Makes me wonder what else went on at that place knowing how much abuse goes on at nursing homes these days.

No comment.

Where is that stupid "In Befo Da Lock" pic?

Lowprofile

As a young man, [17-19 yrs old] I worked summers in a long term nursing home. I was a porter, fancy title for a janitor! That nursing home was run by a retired Naval Vice-Admiral/MD. To say that you could eat off the floors was an understatement. We had over 200 residents staying with us at any time, from assisted living to 24/7 full time care. The staff was top flight in every way. But most important, they cared about residents. What happened in New Orleans would never been allowed to happen there. I'm not a fool. I know that there are bad people who prey on the elderly, who use and abuse them. In my humble opinion, they rank right up there with pedophiles.

As for those people[I use that term lightly] responsible for the despicable treatment of the elderly in that nursing home, well, I'm sure they still have a few tall trees and some rope lying around somewhere.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

bull

I'm not saying all or even most nursing homes are abusive. My opinion comes from talking to a friend whose wife works in the regulatory side of nursing homes. Based on what she's seen she hopes to never be put in one due to the less-than-ethical practices many of them use.

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

andy74