News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner install

Started by GTX, April 13, 2007, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

I wanted to do my own but haven't done one before. At this point I'm a little pressed for time so I'm considering just paying someone.
My question is how much would I expect to pay to have someone come to my house and install my liner for me? I have everything, I just need someone to do the work.
Alternatively, I guess I could trailer the car to someone if it would save a enough cash but I'd rather have them come here. I haven't wired the lights on my trailer yet.

JR

I just did the one in my 70 this week. It's a mother^$#^%& to do. I recover seats at my work and have done the pressboard headliners, but that's the limit of my experience. It'll probably cost around 100 bucks for a shop to install it if you go that route. Pros can do it in under 2 hours. I spent 3 afternoons on mine.

I say if you have the cash, get a pro that will come to your shop and do it. If you want to try it yourself, It takes patience. And cussing.  There's also a thread around here somewhere called "Headliner Installation tips" that's very helpful.

Good luck.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Charger-Bodie

thats 1 thing im more than happy to pay someone to do to my cars and thats just what i did the guy charged me 175.00 inc miliage to do it at my shop , it was perfect when he got done so it was well worth it!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

LargerCharger383

I did it on my 74 and it was a B**CH  I would DEFINATELY reccomend just having it done, whatever the cost (within reason)

JimShine

Go for the pro install. If they tear it or screw it up, they have to take care of it. It is rather cheap insurance paying $100-150 knowing it will look good.

Bob

I did mine on my 74 and it was pretty easy. Once you get all the trim off you will see just how it conects to the hooks. The hardest part was installing the bows. And that was not that difficult. The only proble I ran into was locating the dome light mount. After awhile I gave up and just did not put it in. Good luck. Also, there was no special tools required just a coouple screwdrivers and a socket and ratchet to remove the seat belts.
Bob

hutch

I just had it done on a 74 ford LTD for 140 bucks.  Looks nice.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

mikepmcs

Dave
If you can get someone to come over and do it for anything under $250, I would definitely outsource this one. That is with them hopefully traveling to your location and doing the work on site.  I did put the headliner in a 68 firebird and i would never attempt it again because the time wasted isn't justification for me saving a few bucks.

Definitely have someone else do it if you aren't comfortable with it.  If you mess up, then there is the cost of a new headliner and so on....

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

2Gunz

Im a handy sort guy and do pretty much everything on the car myself.

The headliner is the one thing I wish I payed somebody else to do.

And really I might have a "pro" redo it.

moparguy01

I always have a pro do mine. I have him in my speed dial under "me"  :icon_smile_big:

its not that hard, just takes time. and patience. a whole lotta patience

Rack

I've seen that some people put some ... not sure if it's foam or insulation or what.... up before the install the headliner. Does that make it more of a PITA to install the headliner? I'm gonna have a black charger in one of the hottest cities in america so any extra "insulation" is a must.  :yesnod:

NorwayCharger

Quote from: GTX on April 13, 2007, 12:16:58 AM
I wanted to do my own but haven't done one before. At this point I'm a little pressed for time so I'm considering just paying someone.
My question is how much would I expect to pay to have someone come to my house and install my liner for me? I have everything, I just need someone to do the work.
Alternatively, I guess I could trailer the car to someone if it would save a enough cash but I'd rather have them come here. I haven't wired the lights on my trailer yet.

I guess you are the best judge on your own skills ;)
I have worked several years as a carpenter/wallpaper man and i believe that a headliner in a charger is quite a challenge.
I´ve seen more than one bad headliner job :o, but if you don´t try you don´t learn....
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com