News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silver R/T body work

Started by Silver R/T, May 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8WHEELER

Silver..........I have to agree with most, from what I saw before you cut off the quarter, it was in
actually very good shape, and I would have only replaced lower quarters if it were me, you have
seen rust buckets, yours does not fall under that category.

OK, Having said that, and to answer a question I don't think anybody answered unless I missed
it. Those 1in holes on the top side of your new repop rear valance, are holes for the rear
backup light wires for the 69 and 70's. They just did not bother welding them up on our
68 repop panels......................

Hope I HELPED...............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

8WHEELER:

"Silver..........I have to agree with most, from what I saw before you cut off the quarter, it was in
actually very good shape, and I would have only replaced lower quarters if it were me, you have
seen rust buckets, yours does not fall under that category."

Unfortunately if you look at these pictures, the quarter is not in very good shape. That's why I am replacing it, I wouldn't just start cutting off original metal off of R/T for no reason.

Ill try to save the top by pulling it out as much as I can with stud welder and metal finishing it. I'll try not to post much more as there's too many "know hows" with negative criticism. It seems it goes much better when guys just post pics after whole project is done.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

From that angle it does look worse, I was not being an ASS, infact I was just trying to help.

Did I already tell you to fill those holes in on the rear valance? or do you just want to bite
into me for trying to help.............. maybe I will not try anymore........ I have been nice to you.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 11, 2007, 10:50:13 PM
From that angle it does look worse, I was not being an ASS, infact I was just trying to help.

Did I already tell you to fill those holes in on the rear valance? or do you just want to bite
into me for trying to help.............. maybe I will not try anymore........ I have been nice to you.

Dan

Im sorry if I confused you, I was not talking about you being ass. You're actually pretty cool about helping out other people on this board. I was talking about a few other guys that "went out of their way" for me on this topic lol. Ya I'll fill those holes in later.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bronzeT5

I gotta give you one thing, atleast you're working on your car and getting it done. Mine is still sitting in the garage as a shelf.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemi-hampton

Hope I'm not in with that negative crowd bunch, Just trying to help, I actually had your back there (somewhat)  LEON. ::) :scratchchin:

Mean 318

70charger_boy

What happened to Silver???

Silver R/T

No more pics so far, Im busy doing sprinkler system at the home, will post new pics as I get time

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ranger Max

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 24, 2007, 01:24:08 AM
Quote from: Troy on May 24, 2007, 12:15:50 AM
I'd rather drive mine looking like crap than see them sit in the garage in pieces. I have all four of mine like that now and I'm about to the point of making parts out of cardboard and stiff glue as long as paint will stick.  :icon_smile_wink:

Troy

:iagree:

Thanks Troy,
this was my thinking when I bought my car with the holes in the bottom rear corners of body, ugh, but could afford the car.  I have saved and planned engine build to get it running, then stopped and sat on it when I realized how much there is to body work and doing it right and all that.  Seeing these quarters cut off and the time and money involved is discouraging, but hey, what Troy wrote, gotta remember that was my plan.  If I can drive around in a 68 440 with cheap body fix and paint, so what, still would be cool, can fix it right some day when I win lotto or get a way better job, or maybe price of quarters will go down.  been debating if car is worth putting all the money into engine rebuild, but #$@%, of course it is, the body aint that bad, is it?  I mean, I don't know.     

I appreciate your thread and pics Silver.   

(my brother's truck and trailer)

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Brock Samson

just to add my  :Twocents: 

i drove mine around from '84 till '89 with duct tape (black duct tape so it would match, lol) over the holes and rust, in fact my rear quarters were so bad there was a section a foot long and about eight inches high where there was no metal just some black lacqure paint that would actually flap and flex in and out... inside the trunk the metal was AWOL,..  so there was tape all over the place, on top of the fenders around the roof, and the dutchman,
I still got compliments though...  :smilielol:

good luck with it Silver,.. in anycase..

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SeattleCharger

When welding on the drivers side quarter, what precautions do you need to take around the gas tank tube and tank parts?   or welding in the trunk pan, thanks, Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

moparguy01

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on July 04, 2007, 09:35:10 PM
When welding on the drivers side quarter, what precautions do you need to take around the gas tank tube and tank parts?   or welding in the trunk pan, thanks, Nate

remove the tank and filler is the best way to do it. it really isnt hard to remove a fuel tank on an old mopar. for the trunk pan DEFINATELY remove the tank. cause it sits damn near right up against it, and if the trunk pan is bad so is the fuel tank brace. i can about guarantee it.

Mean 318

These guys are a bunch of pussys! Just fill the tank before you start cutting and have at her :2thumbs: just kidding of course!

Bandit72

Quote from: Mean 318 on July 04, 2007, 11:16:09 PM
These guys are a bunch of pussys! Just fill the tank before you start cutting and have at her :2thumbs: just kidding of course!

nothing beats the excitement of using a torch around a tank of gas...chopped enough rear ends out of junkyards to know that  :smilielol:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Silver R/T

thats why they have welding blankets, you want to throw one on around weld area anyways, avoid weld splatter on your glass, especially rear glass that's $300+ used.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

ill just remove the tank rather than using a welding blanket. welding blankets are still flammable, and once they light up they are hard to put out. Dont ask how I know this. Similar to pontiac firebird seatbelts, they light up in a flash and poof. gone.  also for glass we have welding paper, a thick heavy duty paper with stick um on the back that you stick right onto the glass. works great and doesnt take very long to do.

Silver R/T

Had enough time to do some work on it. Remowed valance, next will be right corner cap and left trunk pan extension and it all will be sandblasted where there's no por15

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Are you going to be using the new AMD $600 (?) 1/4 panels. LEON.

Silver R/T

I have Goodmark(sp) repro 1/4 and valance panel

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Silver, Sorry to dig this old thread up but some people were asking about 1/4 replacement. Also curious on how your finished product looked, how'd it come out? No new updates in years? LEON. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

71green go

Wow.. :o..I just read thru this thread and was blown away about the attitude some guys had towards Silver....this got pretty personal in my opinion, Who cares if what he was doing was different then anybody else.......Its his car, people can make suggestions but to say "hack"?...That is just not called for....I have to commend Silver because If I had been on that end of a verbal assault I would have folded this thread up

I would like to see more on how this car progressed.. :2thumbs: