News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Outer Door Handles - 68 - 70 Charger

Started by Shakey, June 11, 2007, 10:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I've poked around a bit and I still have questions.

What's the deal with the reproduction door handles?  Good, bad - ugly?

I'm in need of a pair but I was wondering who has used what on their car?

Where'd you buy them, how did they fit etc., etc., etc.....

I'm not concerned about the black / chrome knob info, just about the outer handles themselves and where I should be purchasing them from.

Thanks in advance.

Charger-Bodie

the only repops ive found that fit right are the ones from be/a .....even the "nos" ones dont fit right , they are for a dodge p/u they are close but not right
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

8WHEELER

Shakey.......... I think it has been well documented here that some late 68's and 69 on up
cars came with the chrome push button, so you are fine, if not I have a new set around
here somewhere.

If you don't want/or have the time to re-chrome your original handles ''I recommend it'' they
turn out great, and you don't have to worry about fit.

I did buy a set of repop handles off egoug 3 or 4 months ago. I took them up to where my
wife's car got painted, and they are not close to fitting the holes, or the lock rod position.
I think I paid like $50.00 for a pair, they look fantastic, but if they don't fit  :brickwall:
Click here: eBay Motors: MoPar DOOR HANDLES Plymouth Dodge Chrysler ABC GTX Dart (item 8077429088 end time Jun-15-07 22:16:34

I have bought the more expensive handles, $150.00 in the past, they fit great, but they are
still available from mother mopar, so the ones I got were not in very nice shape.
I suppose that is why I re-chrome my originals now  :shruggy:

Dan

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

miamivice

Dan,

what does it cost to re-chrome the old ones?  ...and where abouts do you get it done?

F

8WHEELER

Quote from: miamivice on June 11, 2007, 10:19:05 PM
Dan,

what does it cost to re-chrome the old ones?  ...and where abouts do you get it done?

F

I got a set done at Bellevue Plating ''out of business'' and one set at ART BRASS, about $50.00
per handle at ART BRASS at least, they are not cheap and take a long time, but do better that
NOS work on the stuff I have had done.

Dan

OttawaCharger

That's a good question Shakey - I've seen quite a few different ones and have no idea which ones to go for. Perhaps it would be best to order from someone with a liberal return policy just to be sure.
On a side note, I want the black push button so I'll have to disassember whichever ones I get, blast the chrome off of the button and powdercoat it to get what I want.  :-\
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

miamivice

Quote from: OttawaCharger on June 12, 2007, 12:18:06 PM
I want the black push button so I'll have to disassember whichever ones I get, blast the chrome off of the button and powdercoat it to get what I want.

Aren't the buttons plastic?  How would you powdercoat them? 

8WHEELER

Quote from: miamivice on June 12, 2007, 01:29:38 PM
I want the black push button so I'll have to disassember whichever ones I get, blast the chrome off of the button and powdercoat it to get what I want.

Aren't the buttons plastic?  How would you powdercoat them? 

The chrome buttons are steel, the factory black buttons are plastic.

Dan

8WHEELER

That's a good question Shakey - I've seen quite a few different ones and have no idea which ones to go for. Perhaps it would be best to order from someone with a liberal return policy just to be sure.
On a side note, I want the black push button so I'll have to disassember whichever ones I get, blast the chrome off of the button and powdercoat it to get what I want.  :-\

I did not think of powder coating the steel ones black, I think that is a great idea and very cheap.
does the powder coat were of after being pushing in lots of time? they are kind of loose in the
hole, and that is the reason the plastic ones get bad scratches in them from use...........

Did you know that they sell the black plastic buttons have new repop units? I have a set, they are very nice.

Sorry to get off of your direct question Shakey, just wanted to let you know my experience.

Dan

Shakey

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 12, 2007, 03:49:38 PM

I did not think of powder coating the steel ones black, I think that is a great idea and very cheap.
does the powder coat were of after being pushing in lots of time? they are kind of loose in the
hole, and that is the reason the plastic ones get bad scratches in them from use...........

Did you know that they sell the black plastic buttons have new repop units? I have a set, they are very nice.

Sorry to get off of your direct question Shakey, just wanted to let you know my experience.

Dan

Not to worry Dan and there is no need to apologize.

I'll most likely end up taking your advice as it is not the first time I've heard this.

I called a place today here in ON and they'll need $225.00 CAD to re-chrome my handles.  Pricey but I know they'll fit as they came off of my car.  I'd rather do it right the first time than mess around with return shipments or having to take a pair back to the dealer etc.  I've got two pairs of handles so I'll pick the worst pair and send them out in the next few weeks.

As you all know by now, I'll be sure to let you know how they come out and I'll post some photos. 

Thanks again for the feedback folks.   :cheers:

shawnmd

Bought mine (2 sets) on Ebay from Firestone Collectables brand new.  Other than having to switch the linkage from the old to the new, they fit perfect.  Thats on a 69 Charger and a 70 Bee.

daytonalo

OttawaCharger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 12, 2007, 03:49:38 PM

Dan
Thanks Dan - to tell you the truth, I wasn't aware that repops were available so I thought that powdercoat was my only choice.  You're probably right that it would get scratch over time but powdercoat is pretty durable stuff.

Shakey - you going through Cambridge Chrome for that?

Shakey

Quote from: OttawaCharger on June 13, 2007, 09:56:04 AM

Yes.

Have you ever dealt with them?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Shakey on June 13, 2007, 07:26:19 PM

Yes.

i can tell you one thing the ones from BE/A have beatiful chrome , fit good and all you have to do is call and order them.OH and they are probably cheaper too!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

OttawaCharger

Yes.

No, not yet. But I talked to them and saw some of their work at the Barrie Flea market last year (Burl's Creek).  They seemed real professional and for what it's worth, the stuff they showed had a real nice finish.  When it's time, I'm going to have them do my chrome refinishing.

8WHEELER

YEAR ONE, new door handle   

FD708LH LH outer door handle and gasket, 1968-1970 B-body models, new Chrysler.   $155.00 each

Now these don't always fit either, I can tell you that.

Dan

Shakey

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 13, 2007, 07:32:08 PM

Yes.

i can tell you one thing the ones from BE/A have beatiful chrome , fit good and all you have to do is call and order them.OH and they are probably cheaper too!!

Here is what I researched.

BE/A handles are $195.00 USD for the pair.

They get their products from P&G who sells them for $105.00 USD a pair.

The BE/A web site has "Approved Mopar Restoration Product" symbols beside many of their items, but not these handles.   :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Shakey on June 14, 2007, 07:33:56 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on June 13, 2007, 07:32:08 PM

Yes.

Here is what I researched.

BE/A handles are $195.00 USD for the pair.

They get their products from P&G who sells them for $105.00 USD a pair.

The BE/A web site has "Approved Mopar Restoration Product" symbols beside many of their items, but not these handles.   :shruggy:

i have them on my car, had them in my hand, and ill tell you one thing they wouldnt be on my car if they fit in any way poorly they are the nicest ones ive seen! ..........the problem i have with poured parts being rechromed is that they loose alot of the cripness by the time they get them cleaned up and take care of the pits . and i would not reccommend them if i did not feel that they were of the highest quality and the best way to go! imo

hemi68charger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 13, 2007, 10:22:28 PM

FD708LH LH outer door handle and gasket, 1968-1970 B-body models, new Chrysler.   $155.00 each

Dan

Ouch !!!!  I'm getting both mine original ones rechromed for cheaper than that... This company will also repair any pitting on the pot metal as most plating companies don't........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

runningman

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 14, 2007, 02:29:57 PM

Dan

Ouch !!!!  I'm getting both mine original ones rechromed for cheaper than that... This company will also repair any pitting on the pot metal as most plating companies don't........

Troy

Troy, where are you getting your stuff chromed at?  I have some stuff I want to get done and need to decide on a good plater.  thanks

matt

JimShine

The handles themselvers are interchangeable over many years and across many lines. I used handles from a late 70's Mopar at the junkyard that were in great shape. I just had to unscrew the mechanical part, which also dropped the button out, and installed those guts into the later handle.

hemi68charger

Quote from: runningman on June 15, 2007, 03:16:08 PM

Dan

Troy

Troy, where are you getting your stuff chromed at?  I have some stuff I want to get done and need to decide on a good plater.  thanks

matt

Hey Matt..
I have my door handles over here:    http://www.superiorchrome.com/

I should be getting them back soon... If they turn out as good as I think they are, I'm giving them my rear taillamp housing and appropriate trim surrounds... Also, I'll be taking my vent window framing as well....

T
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

8WHEELER

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 17, 2007, 12:29:48 PM

Dan

Troy

matt

Hey Matt..

I should be getting them back soon... If they turn out as good as I think they are, I'm giving them my rear taillamp housing and appropriate trim surrounds... Also, I'll be taking my vent window framing as well....

T

Troy
I did have my tail light housings re-chromed as with the round bezels. I would not chrome the round
bezels again, it really rounded over the main extended lip. So I bought the repop round bezels
and they look great, just something to think about.

Dan

Chatt69chgr

I have also read that the same outside door handles were used for 10-20 years on many different Chrysler products.  It would seem that one could hit some junkyards and maybe find some in good condition particularly since the new ones that Chrysler sell appear to have fitment problems.  The pushbutton's are interchangeable.  Of course, if you can't find any at junkyards or need the handles to be show quality then I suppose rechroming would be the way to go.  I wouldn't think that the plastic button could be powder coated since that involves heating up the part in an oven to get the paint to flow.  Wouldn't that melt the button?  I guess it would depend on the type of plastic the button is made of.

JimShine

Even the mechanism is interchangeable. Two screws hold the whole deal together. You pull out the mechanicals and button together and slide them into place on the later handles and it is smooth sailing. Believe me, nice ones are not that hard to find in a junkyard. You just may have to piece them together from a couple different cars. Bring your original to mate up the screw holes that mount it to the door and you are golden.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 17, 2007, 04:10:12 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 17, 2007, 12:29:48 PM

Dan

Troy

matt

Hey Matt..

T

Troy
I did have my tail light housings re-chromed as with the round bezels. I would not chrome the round
bezels again, it really rounded over the main extended lip. So I bought the repop round bezels
and they look great, just something to think about.

Dan

Dan, that's exactly what I'm doing  :2thumbs: I'm going to have them do the other trim and I've got my check mouldings already......  I'll probably buy the center console set.. Would love to talk to someone who's ordered a set..... They have the auto top plates out... Thanks for the reference on the round bezels..

Troy
Troy

runningman

Troy, thanks for the info.  Let me know how they turn out.........matt

Nacho-RT74

outside door handles 68-70 B body 67-72 A body
RCD54390 right - RCD54391 left - $98.75

http://www.buymopar.com/store/restro.html
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Hemidog

Just bought a pair of those a couple days ago Natcho, ill let you guys know how they fit.

The70RT

Quote from: 8WHEELER on June 11, 2007, 09:37:44 PM
Shakey.......... I think it has been well documented here that some late 68's and 69 on up
cars came with the chrome push button, so you are fine, if not I have a new set around
here somewhere.

If you don't want/or have the time to re-chrome your original handles ''I recommend it'' they
turn out great, and you don't have to worry about fit.

I did buy a set of repop handles off egoug 3 or 4 months ago. I took them up to where my
wife's car got painted, and they are not close to fitting the holes, or the lock rod position.
I think I paid like $50.00 for a pair, they look fantastic, but if they don't fit  :brickwall:
Click here: eBay Motors: MoPar DOOR HANDLES Plymouth Dodge Chrysler ABC GTX Dart (item 8077429088 end time Jun-15-07 22:16:34

I have bought the more expensive handles, $150.00 in the past, they fit great, but they are
still available from mother mopar, so the ones I got were not in very nice shape.
I suppose that is why I re-chrome my originals now  :shruggy:

Dan

fmmpar AKA Frank is selling these and they don't fit?? Im glad I got NOS ones from him a few years back for like 80 for the set.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gabescharger

Hi, I am new to this so I don't know who BE/A is but I would like to find out so I can get in touch with them.

Thanks, Gabe

OttawaCharger

Quote from: gabescharger on July 07, 2007, 01:14:39 PM
Hi, I am new to this so I don't know who BE/A is but I would like to find out so I can get in touch with them.

Thanks, Gabe
No problem:
http://www.beaparts.com/