News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

avgas, anyone run it in there cars?

Started by derailed, August 29, 2005, 10:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derailed

Quote from: yellowcuda on September 04, 2005, 03:46:36 PM
I work at an airport and can tell you that we have had a ton of calls for it.   Problem is here the cost for Avgas 100LL is 4.47 a gallon so when gas is 3.00 you tell me what you think.  

Wow, 4.47 I just checked here a couple of days ago and it was 3.10 for 100LL of course it might be 4.00 now

Ghoste

Chryco Psycho

Kryp2nitE

any issues when using hardened seats?

why cant u use leaded fuel on newer cars? o2 sensors?

Ghoste

Likely O2 sensors as well but originally, lead was removed because it clogged up the catalytic converters.

Kryp2nitE

so what would the consesus be if im gonna use a wideband 02 system for my 440?

avgas or no?

beenaround

bro clue me in! what kind of system  is this??? i run cam2 110 octane with a 440 six pack stock compression.i can also run 93 unleade but with a loss of power.

derailed

not really any kind of system, instead of running cam 2 in my car im going to start running 100 lowlead aviation fuel. Its sufficient octane for a stock 440 motor, has lead and is almost $3.00 a gallon cheaper than cam 2.

derailed

Quote from: Runner on September 01, 2005, 08:19:35 PM
keep in mind that if you have a low compresion motor that doesnt need hi octane they your car will likly run worse with av gas or race fuel.        

my 383 slowed down with av gas   and it slowed down with race gas as well.   it was a 8.9to1 engine with a 484 mp cam.

Well a little update on my topic. I just got back from the airport and put 6 gallons 0f 100LL in. The motor being a stock 68 440 seems to run alot better with the avgas than the heavy mix of cam2 i  was runnin, actually a big difference. Looks like its a happy median between premium and race gas. The price was $3.60/gallon

Afflyer

Derailed, I have the exact same type of engine you've got and I've ran 5 gallons of AVGAS for every fill up when I lived in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Just do exactly as you've done- no more than six gallons are needed, and you'll be very happy with the results! 

I've still got to find a place around my home here in the Florida panhandle, that will sell me some AVGAS- I miss how well my 440 ran with that mix!

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"