News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Paint

Started by 71mopar383, June 24, 2007, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71mopar383

If blasting isnt in the budget is there a good sanding disc to use on my die grinder or what is a good alt to sand down a panel at a time to get ready for primer? :eek2:

chargerman68

check local auo parts store and look for aircraft paint remover....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

PA Dodger

I've used the stripper Chargerman mentioned with good results. Just make sure to keep it out of the seams. If you can't reach it to neutralize it, the paint job will be affected.
I just picked up a kit from Eastwood, item #31114, that is one 7" very coarse scotchbrite disc, one 7" cleaning disc, and a backing pad for an angle grinder. The kit was $29.99.
I picked up 2 extra cleaning discs. They say that's enough to strip an entire car. We'll see about that.
Dan   
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

BMOTOXSTAR

Just scuff the paint witha a DA if the car is clean and take care of the bad rust spots. Depends on how far you want to go. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Mean 318

Quote from: chargerman68 on June 24, 2007, 08:05:06 PM
It is the best there is but get a box of gloves... that shit burns!

chargerman68

Quote from: Mean 318 on June 24, 2007, 11:12:47 PM
Quote from: chargerman68 on June 24, 2007, 08:05:06 PM
It is the best there is but get a box of gloves... that shit burns!
:iagree:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

mopar_madman

3m stripping discs, they are sold everywhere from walmart to home depot (hard black plastic discs) fit in your die grinder or drill work great. If you go chemical, scuff the paint with some sand paper apply the stripper and cover with saran wrap, it will trap the fumes in and make each coat work better.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

chargercalvin

get the advanced auto stripper tall-strip, it works better then aircraft remover, and definetely use gloves, dont try sanding it off, it will take longer and be a pain, ans if u use a grit that takes off the paint easily it is probibly too rough 4 the metal