News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any suggestions on a good insurance company?

Started by Back N Black, June 20, 2007, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Alright, to make a short story long. When i bought my car it was a roller, so insurance was not a issue at the time. While it was at the body shop being restored it was covered by the restoration shop. Now the car is home fresh paint and i have to transport it 1200 km and no insurance company will cover me because it is a rolling shell ? So today i had it appraised and called around and still nothing?  :shruggy:
Apparently,this is not considered a vehicle by most insurance company's standards.  :brickwall:
This is in Canada BTW.

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Back N Black on June 20, 2007, 07:03:05 PM
Alright, to make a short story long. When i bought my car it was a roller, so insurance was not a issue at the time. While it was at the body shop being restored it was covered by the restoration shop. Now the car is home fresh paint and i have to transport it 1200 km and no insurance company will cover me because it is a rolling shell ? So today i had it appraised and called around and still nothing?  :shruggy:
Apparently,this is not considered a vehicle by most insurance company's standards.  :brickwall:
This is in Canada BTW.

I've used this company for years.

http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

mikepmcs

grundy or haggerty i believe are good insurance companies.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69BlackChargerRT

I went with Grundy.  Full coverage with a high car value for $400 a year. Not bad!  :yesnod:

Lurker

not totally sure but i think with my garage/home insurance i have coverage for anything in my garage. my roller might not be covered but i know if i got it appraised it would be. i know my lawnmower and quads etc would be covered under my home insurance if they were in my garage if it burnt down or something. you got me thinking i am gonna have to phone and check now that i have been spending on my car. i am in alberta btw.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

Back N Black

Lurker ,my insurance company told me that my house insurance does not cover my car in the garage.My issue right now is i'm loading my car on a U- Haul trailer monday morning to drive 1200 km and no one will give me insurance covarge.  :pullinghair:

AKcharger

Grundy if you don't plan to drive it much (great coverage, lots of restrictions) and State Farm if you drive it more than a few hundred miles

chargerman68

i dont remember the name of the company i used but they ar ebased in cherry hill,nj sub company of usaa insurance...will get u a name
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Charger-Bodie

i have hagerty and they are great. and ive also delt with them on claims from mishaps other people have had and they are easy to deal with no bickering about this and that they just pay the estimate and send a check.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lurker

Quote from: Back N Black on June 20, 2007, 09:36:40 PM
Lurker ,my insurance company told me that my house insurance does not cover my car in the garage.My issue right now is i'm loading my car on a U- Haul trailer monday morning to drive 1200 km and no one will give me insurance covarge.  :pullinghair:

cargo insurance on your tow vehicle maybe?
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

resq302

:iagree:  Haggerty is a great insurance company and I have had to use them once for a claim.  Had the check within a week!  Zero questions asked (only asked if I was ok in the incident) and their customer service is top notch.  Highly recommend.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemigeno

B-N-B, I got coverage on my roller (the Daytona) through Hagerty with no problems.  They even wrote the policy for some pretty astronomical limits and were willing to write the policy for Comprehensive Coverage only.  There just isn't any reason to carry liability coverage on a car that isn't on the road - unless you're going to push it around really fast and run into something valuable.   :P

I'd check with Hagerty first if it were me.

AON currently writes the policy on my Hemicar, and they wouldn't touch the Daytona with a 10ft. pole even though I was a long time customer.

Hope this helps! 

Geno

41husk

I have all three of mine insured through state farm insurance, Had to take a bunch of pictures, show comparison value (old car price Guide) etc. 68 is insured for 25k cost $140 a year, Challenger 20k now 35 k when its finished $128 a year and the 73 is insured for 15K just upped it from 8k at 8k it was $86 a year.  I would guess it will be about $100.  they all are registered antique vehicle and that helps with the rate,
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charger_boy

I have American Modern Home.  They are excellent

pandamarie

I have been with Hagerty for 15 plus years, unlimited mileage as long as your using it for pleasure driving, car shows or parades. full coverage for a 60000 dollar agreed value car runs me less than 400 a year with thier towing program which will pay for towing up to 125 miles. My Grandfather uses them also and had a claim when a friend upened his rear suiside door on his Packard at 75 mph on the freeway. they paid to have it repaired at one of the best Packard restoration shops no questions asked, they will also cover all your spare parts you keep in your house as long as they are photographed and documented in case of a fire. I have driven my Packards cross country for vacation and called to check if it would be covered and they said it was as thats considered pleasure driving.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68chrgrwife

Quote from: whitehatspecial on June 20, 2007, 07:18:00 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on June 20, 2007, 07:03:05 PM
This is in Canada BTW.

I've used this company for years.

http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php

we used the same company for the chally.....they are really good...we were underwritten by usaa though
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

bill440rt

Quote from: chargerman68 on June 20, 2007, 10:31:02 PM
i dont remember the name of the company i used but they ar ebased in cherry hill,nj sub company of usaa insurance...will get u a name

This is American Collector's Insurance. I have them on my cars, as well as other members here. GREAT company, I had to file a claim once (a B-I-G one!!). They took care of everything an then some.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Back N Black

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.The only Insurance Company that would insure a rolling shell was All State, so thats who got my business. As for the other company's IE..Grundy, americancollectors.com ,Hagerty, they don't insure outside of the United States.

Charger1973

Quote from: pandamarie on June 21, 2007, 01:32:29 PM
I have been with Hagerty for 15 plus years, unlimited mileage as long as your using it for pleasure driving, car shows or parades. full coverage for a 60000 dollar agreed value car runs me less than 400 a year with thier towing program which will pay for towing up to 125 miles. My Grandfather uses them also and had a claim when a friend upened his rear suiside door on his Packard at 75 mph on the freeway. they paid to have it repaired at one of the best Packard restoration shops no questions asked, they will also cover all your spare parts you keep in your house as long as they are photographed and documented in case of a fire. I have driven my Packards cross country for vacation and called to check if it would be covered and they said it was as thats considered pleasure driving.

Sounds like a good company.  They will tow you within 125 miles?   I wonder if there is a limit to how many times you can use that or if it affects your rate?  Im not sure what my car will be valued at when its finished but probably not 60k...  so I should be able to get coverage for less than 400 a year?  Hell $400 a year is only like $33 a month, thats cheaper than liability through my regular company. 

41husk

A friend of mine had a AMX insured through Hagerty, he said he claimed tows twice in the first month and was cancelled.  That is his side of the story :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up