News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheelwell moldings

Started by 69bronzeT5, August 02, 2007, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hey guys....Im working on my car right now and I found some wheelwell trim in my trunk. I know in the past that my car had a black stripe on the bottom and this wheelwell trim has black paint on both ends too so I know that the trim was actually on the car at some point in its past. So to my question, did all 69 Chargers come with wheelwell trim or was it an option...and if it was an option, then what is the code for it?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

resq302

Pretty sure it was standard on 68-70.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 02, 2007, 08:44:40 PM
and if it was an option, then what is the code for it?

These guys are right, the Wheel Lip Mouldings were standard on '68-69, and I think on '70s too (at least on 500's and R/Ts - not sure about the XH29 Base Chargers though).

The 69-70 sales code for wheel lip mouldings is M26, and it will appear only on a Charger's Broadcast Sheet since it was a standard option otherwise.  Why they did not stamp M26 on the Fender Tag but did stamp all '69 Charger tags with M21 and M31 (also standard equipment) doesn't make any sense, but that's what the case is.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

I believe the moldings were optional on the '70 model
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FJMG

What about the wing cars Hemigeno? I have an original d-side daytona fender and there are no holes on the wheel lip.

hemigeno

Quote from: FJMG on September 01, 2007, 04:14:45 PM
    What about the wing cars Hemigeno? I have an original d-side daytona fender and there are no holes on the wheel lip.

They should be present on all Daytonas, AFAIK.  Is the fender you have brand new/NOS or was it on your car?  If the fender was "converted" from a '70 Charger fender (and Chris says the mouldings were optional that year), it is distinctly possible that it wouldn't have any holes for the wheel opening mouldings.

That's my best guess anyway...

FJMG

I purchased the fender from a fellow in Ontario in the mid 80's who "claimed" it came off a Daytona, that is all I know about its history. It sure looks used but the lack of any significant paint combined with rust, never really thought of NOS???, maybe after some carefull blasting I might be able to find some sort of date stamp to verify if its a cut 70??

hemigeno

I know where to look for date codes on inner fenders to tell if they were original (requires disassembly though), but I have not examined outer fenders closely enough to see if/where any date codes exist.  Mine were already patched, smoothed/filled and in primer by the time I saw them in person after disassembly.  David Patik has told me that Daytona fenders have a unique "tab" stamped on the Passenger's Side bracing near the antenna hole - but I have photographic proof that this same tab exists on at least some '70 Charger fenders also so I wouldn't rely on that as an indicator.

I'll still try and remember to look my originals over very closely for date codes next time I'm up at Vance's just in case, but the fenders are hanging on the car now for final bodywork (that's a good thing!!) so it may be too late.

Even though the Daytonas have a unique front wheel lip moulding part/number, the screw hole pattern was exactly the same as a regular Charger's except for the front lowest hole which screwed into the valance.  As a result, a Daytona fender will have the same moulding screw hole pattern as any '68-69 (or '70 if so equipped) Charger.  You can see on all the original Daytona wheel lip mouldings (including the NOS set that I bought a few years back) that there was no pre-drilled/punched hole at that front lowest location, and that Creative Industries workers hand-located a different type of sheet metal screw through the moulding and into the lower valance at that front lowest corner.  That screw was placed in a generally-similar but slightly varied location on each moulding, and it isn't in the same place that a regular Charger's moulding hole would be if you straightened that leg out.  If you wanted to "replicate" a set of Daytona wheel lip mouldings using a regular set of Charger mouldings, you'd need to fill in that front lowest hole to keep that from being a dead giveaway of a non-original part.

If you're going to blast your fender down to metal, you should reveal the marker light hole patch that would have been done on a modified/cut '70 piece.  I've seen a NOS Daytona fender before, but I did not take any pictures and to be honest I did not pay attention to whether it had pre-drilled/punched moulding holes.  To my knowledge, every Daytona got front wheel lip mouldings, and I think I have paperwork somewhere that references that.  It's logical that they would all get them though, since every '69 Charger was fitted with rear ones and they'd look a little odd with rears and no fronts.

UFO

Look for a stenciled part number stamped on the inside.Very careful blasting will be needed or better yet  a wipe down with paint thinner.

bull

I think the only 2nd gens that didn't get wheel trim were the '70 base models. Not sure of the '70 500 model but I have to assume the SEs and R/Ts all got them that year. At any rate it's a moot point in your case, the '68-'69 all had them.

gtx6970

if so  do Daytonas have a unique part number for the ft lip mldg. I would think the ft valance would require a different shape than the normal ft lower fender

hemigeno

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 05, 2007, 08:59:28 AM
if so  do Daytonas have a unique part number for the ft lip mldg. I would think the ft valance would require a different shape than the normal ft lower fender

Yes, the front wheel lip moulding is a unique part number - 3412646 & 3412647 (R/L).  Like you said, the difference is in that front lower portion where the profile is different.

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on September 05, 2007, 01:31:18 AM
I think the only 2nd gens that didn't get wheel trim were the '70 base models. Not sure of the '70 500 model but I have to assume the SEs and R/Ts all got them that year. At any rate it's a moot point in your case, the '68-'69 all had them.

According to my sources, for 1970 wheel opening moldings were OPTIONAL on the R/T (my '70 never had them, I added them), STANDARD on the 500, & NOT AVAILABLE on the base model charger.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

The70RT

Quote from: bill440rt on September 06, 2007, 08:50:28 AM
Quote from: bull on September 05, 2007, 01:31:18 AM

According to my sources, for 1970 wheel opening moldings were OPTIONAL on the R/T (my '70 never had them, I added them), STANDARD on the 500, & NOT AVAILABLE on the base model charger.

Yep Bill. Mine never came with them.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gtx6970

Quote from: hemigeno on September 05, 2007, 09:17:10 AM
Quote from: gtx6970 on September 05, 2007, 08:59:28 AM

Yes, the front wheel lip moulding is a unique part number - 3412646 & 3412647 (R/L).  Like you said, the difference is in that front lower portion where the profile is different.

So, Gene, How long did it take you to find those?

hemigeno

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 06, 2007, 09:49:20 AM
So, Gene, How long did it take you to find those?

Right place, right time I guess.  The seller knew exactly what they were, and had priced them accordingly.  I know there are Daytona owners who have searched for many, many years to find a set of those so I felt quite fortunate to have bought that set.  The originals from my car were on when it was put in storage, but the owner at the time took them off to put on another Daytona of his that had lost it's set.  Robbed Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.  I knew I was going to have to find a set of those when I bought the car so I guess my quest lasted about 4 years.

Quote from: bill440rt on September 06, 2007, 08:50:28 AM

Thanks for that info, Bill!!!   :2thumbs:  I did not realize the R/Ts could have come without WLM's - and I completely understand why you'd have put them on your car.  A IIGen Charger just doesn't look right to me without them IMHO.

bill440rt

No prob, hemigeno!

And damn, those NOS moldings you have look nice!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce