News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

500/daytona rear window conversion

Started by chargerpeople, August 08, 2007, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerpeople

hi all,

i heard years ago you can convert the rear window of a regular charger to a 500/daytona.. How !! is my question.

some body mentioned using a MONZA hatch for this ..

Any help!!

Russ

70charger_boy

use a vega hatch.  Try searching this site there are several posts floating around. Good luck

daytonalo

moparstuart

i wanna make mine with a pinto hatch   see if it will blow up ??
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

daytonalo

How about taking a Daytona wing , narrow it , and install on Vega

Howie

No that would be a waste of a good wing! Go get yourself one of those new nascar wings and modify it. :eek2:

70charger_boy

Quote from: daytonalo on August 09, 2007, 11:26:59 AM
How about taking a Daytona wing , narrow it , and install on Vega

:ohhthesarcasm::smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  Yeah, the wing will cost more than the whole car.  Good one

moparstuart

no maybe a pacer with a daytona wing     i think that would be trick

or a bubble style pacer hatch on my daytona   now that would be styling

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

Quoteuse a vega hatch.  Try searching this site there are several posts floating around. Good luck 

thats the way to go .

here you go this thread will show you how its done. Rene

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8271.0.html
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

THE CHARGER PUNK

I was thinking about installing a daytona fiberglass stinger wing on my 72 nova 4-door :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

QuoteI was thinking about installing a daytona fiberglass stinger wing on my 72 nova 4-door   

intresting ,----------------but stupid.   :RantExplode:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

chargerpeople

hi,

To those who had contructive replies-- thanks :2thumbs:  so, the monza i found wouldn t work ???

The rest -- maybe you need to find different entertainment!!! :nana:

russ

Howie

You need a vega hatchback preferably without the vent fins in it. You also need a closeout panel for shortening your decklid and a set of daytonalo`s trunk hinges. You can see the link posted above.
                                                                                            Good luck grasshopper

BigBlockSam

and correct drip rail to change the radius of the hatch to match the deck lid . . Rene

moparstuart

71- 73 vegas have the vented hatch    use the 74-79 doesnt have vents

hotrod98

We've been using modified dutchman panels (upper body panels) from 71-74 Chargers for the front trunk lip to use the vega plug. Works pretty good. There's a thread on here somewhere showing pics of the one that I converted for Howie. There's also a thread showing the trunk lids that I've converted as well. If you're patient, there's enough knowledge on this site to help you build a complete daytona clone without having to go through a lot of BS. Good luck.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

TomP

You're alive!  Nice to see you back.  You never answered my last PM.
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

moparstuart

hot rod do you just need to use the lip or do you have to use quite a bit of the panel also as filler ????

didn't know if the vega hatch was the right length of if it needed to be added on to

BigBlockSam

here's a pic pic of mines. the blue section is the 73 charger panel. Rene

moparstuart

cool so you just need the lip and a short inch or 2 section  great.    I have a 73 parts car  i will cut it long just to make sure and trim it later
thanks very much 

moparstuart

renee  did you skin your hatch or use it innerstructure and all and just trim edges  ??????

Howie

It is skinned. Larry(hotrod) did mine and I do remember him telling me that he seperated it. I spoke with him last night and he is busy getting things taken care of so he can open his shop at home and really get going working on car restoration and sorts.
                                                                                                Howard
When you line up that vega hatch you will need to add a piece at the top of the vega plug. I believe it is 2 inches or less.

moparstuart

BigBlockSam

Quoteyou will need to add a piece at the top of the vega plug. I believe it is 2 inches or less.

yea , the hatch doesn't sit at the top of the openning. you have to pull it down and leave a gap between the top of the hatch and the charger roof. you'll see what i mean when you do it. Rene

moparstuart

maybe since larry(hotrod) only lives one state away i can  just pay him to  do my convertion if he gets his shop ready

BigBlockSam

i got work for him too but he's gotten complicated.  :rotz:

moparstuart

if they are good  they seem to alway be busy

moparstuart

rene what part of the country do you live in ????????????

daytonalo

Rene lives in north Jersey . I also live in Jersey , south to be exact , send your car to me , I will convert the whole car to a daytona , and paint it , you complete the rest . I'm just finishing up my car right now .

Larry

moparstuart

larry i would but your like 1/2 the world away from me

thanks for the offer  tho   

Aussiemadonmopars

I would to but I am half the world away.... ;)

daytonalo

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: chargerpeople on August 08, 2007, 10:03:42 PM
hi all,

i heard years ago you can convert the rear window of a regular charger to a 500/daytona.. How !! is my question.

some body mentioned using a MONZA hatch for this ..

Any help!!

Russ

I didn't use a vega hatch.  I made my own plug, bought a reproduction rear glass, and made my own trim.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Linkage:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21596.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29685.msg324490.html#msg324490

moparstuart

larry why dont you come here to missouri them  i'll put you to work

mail you a check last night    thanks man

Howie

And seeing that is one piece of artwork craftsmanship. :drool5:
                                                                                        Howard

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Howie on August 18, 2007, 09:30:43 AM
And seeing that is one piece of artwork craftsmanship. :drool5:
                                                                                        Howard

Just throwing it out there for the newbies  ;)

moparstuart

wow you are way more talented them me
good thing i can sell , then i can pay talented people like you to do my body's

i have learned to stick to the mechanical stuff/ interior work  and leave body work alone 

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on August 18, 2007, 10:00:10 AM
wow you are way more talented them me
good thing i can sell , then i can pay talented people like you to do my body's

i have learned to stick to the mechanical stuff/ interior work  and leave body work alone 

I can do most of the work, mechanical, interior, wiring, etc. I can fabricate almost anything, as long as it's metal, so I'm lucky.  But try as I might, I just can't get a spray gun to fit my hand, even though I used to paint big metal enclosures as part of my job several years ago, I get within 20 feet of a car with a spray gun and it just gets ugly, real fast :brickwall:

A man has got to know his limitations  ;)

moparstuart

well i know my limitations at least you can do the metal work

Daytona R/T SE

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 16, 2007, 06:59:11 PM
i got work for him too but he's gotten complicated. :rotz:

Rene's right...my life has been a lot more complicated lately. I am alive...sort of. Most people know that I finally quit my job as body shop manager at a GM dealership. I don't have my new shop ready because I've been busy working on one of my rental properties to sell it to pay off my house. Here comes the complicated part...my wife has Alzheimers and can no longer work at her job as a Chemist. We're hoping that a new medication to be released soon will stop the effects of the disease. This has been a shocker for us...we're only 51 years old. She's doing pretty good right now and plans to help me with my new business. In fact, we hope to order our new paint booth in the next couple of weeks.

Tom...be sure and e-mail me again. When hotmail started their new software, they somehow lost a lot of my e-mail. I wonder how many e-mails that I may have missed.

As for the plug, the gap at the top between the plug and the roof is around two inches wide. Just adjust it up and down until the transition off of the rood is smooth. You can uses a steel ruler laid flat to get the contour needed. Also, I suggest cutting the dutchman panel several inches wide. It makes attaching it to the vega plug much easier. I have some decent pics that I can forward to anyone that's interested.

As soon as I get the shop set up, I'll start scheduling work in. I won't have cars sitting around for long periods of time like some shops since it will be my primary source of income. That's why I'm selling off some houses and toys to get debt free so that I don't have to worry about paying big bills every month. I've wanted to do this for quite a while, and it's taking more time to get it started than I thought that it would.

Charles Addams

TomP

Larry,
  So sorry to hear about your wife.  That's a big load to carry.

Can't wait to see pics and hear stories once you get your shop up and running.

Tom
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

I have never met Larry in person , spoke to him Via phone many times , class act !The news on your wife is down right tragic , I will pray for you both !!!!!

Larry

hotrod98

Thanks guys. We haven't given up hope yet. The FDA is fast tracking this new medication through the system. If she were to receive it within the next few months, it should stabalize her condition enough to lead a fairly normal life. We're actually looking forward to being able to work together in the new shop. The hard part will be keeping her from focusing on her bird clone. She's hell bent on driving that car next year. I mentioned selling her cuda to finance the bird and of course I got one of those go-to-hell looks. Oops.
At this point she has good days and bad days. Fortunately, for the time being, she has more good ones than bad ones.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey Larry
i hope your wife gets the meds she needs. she sounds like a fun women and she's a great partner to you .it sure  makes life easier when you have a supportive mate. it's incredible what medicines they have now a days .

we gotta talk  about my daytona's progress  it has slowed to a stop . i have mapquest directions to your house in my favorite place in my computer, it's only a short 22 hour drive  :whistling:

moparstuart

best wishes and prayer's for your wife larry 
     i wish my wife loved my cars the way yours loves hers

Magnumcharger

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on August 09, 2007, 06:39:51 PM
I was thinking about installing a daytona fiberglass stinger wing on my 72 nova 4-door :icon_smile_big:

See this thread for the completed version....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32991.0.html
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

70charger_boy

BigBlockSam

thats a Cosworth Vega . there worth bucks

70charger_boy

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 15, 2007, 05:54:40 PM
thats a Cosworth Vega . there worth bucks

What do you think I should offer him?