News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Off to the Body Shop...with pics and an IMPORTANT QUESTION

Started by Sweet T, August 09, 2007, 01:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet T

Well I finally got the car stripped down and shipped out, here are some pictures at the shop also.
Question # 1 The body guy I am using has cut the quarters off below the character line (like everyone else) but says he can do a better job and less mud if he sharpens up the lines on the repops and cuts above the character line.  What are the opinions on this?  I've told him to keep it below the character line..mostly because that is the only way I have seen it done.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

Charger_Fan

Wait for others to weigh in on this, but I've heard the main reason most body cut below the character line is that the line on the repop fenders isn't as straight as the originals are.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

roger01

that may br true bot iknow that the corner itself is more rounded and not as sherp as the originals

Charger-Bodie

i leave the top line of the orig 1/4 panel so the flow of the top is correct cause the repops arent 100 % right up there
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparguy01

another vote for leaving the body line. the repop 1/4s are not correct, I had to install a 1/4 on a 69 RR above the line (it was hit too high to stay below it) and it took a while to get the body line sharp and straight.

hemi-hampton

I always go below that top line but once the boss insisted I go above because of slight damage above line, I wanted to bondo the slight damage & save the original top line but NO he says. :brickwall:  Anyways, Last time I do that if I dont have too, Ended up being to much work. LEON.

daytonalo

That is how I do it . Also I stay back 1.5 inch from jamb , flange it , fit outer wheelhouse , weld away .

dodgecharger-fan

Another vote for stay below the line. The lines on the repops are just not right. Even if he sharpens them up, are they going to be in the right place in relation to the rest of the car? I think that's the real problem.

When 69X9X9 did my car, he cut below and then just worked out the big dent that I had on the passenger side - right on the character line.

Before:

After: